'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
    With the emergence of trent fred is expendable. Trade him to a team with cap space for a pick(s) and sign lowry. A three year with lowry fits perfect with the development of flynn

then get someone like reddick to back up trent
    I can see how you arrive at your idea.. but Dan is on to something here as well....
    Freddy is an all NBA calibre defender... Gary Trent is familar with the word ... we need em both...

The reason I put out Norm coming back is that I watched the Portland Denver game the other night and my lord no one, and I mean no one , takes shots but Lillard and McCollum in the 4th Q....
    Norm was like a kid in preschool .. they sent him to the corner to stand there...
    Norm is expecting more touches and I don't think he is going to see them in Portland....
    He may be on the move after this season ends....

Financially its a no fly zone... but what a bench we would suddenly have eh ?

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      Ex-Raptor coming back most likely won't happen guys.
      I swear we do this all the time. ayo where sonny weems at?? Lol
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

I can see how you arrive at your idea.. but Dan is on to something here as well....
        Freddy is an all NBA calibre defender... Gary Trent is familar with the word ... we need em both...

The reason I put out Norm coming back is that I watched the Portland Denver game the other night and my lord no one, and I mean no one , takes shots but Lillard and McCollum in the 4th Q....
        Norm was like a kid in preschool .. they sent him to the corner to stand there...
        Norm is expecting more touches and I don't think he is going to see them in Portland....
        He may be on the move after this season ends....

Financially its a no fly zone... but what a bench we would suddenly have eh ?
        Trent IS norm. We dont need trent and norm. We need more big strong guys, we're heavy in the teeny tiny fast guy department.

the birch tree and dizzy Gillespie look great right now, simply because they're not baynes.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Trent IS norm. We dont need trent and norm. We need more big strong guys, we're heavy in the teeny tiny fast guy department.

the birch tree and dizzy Gillespie look great right now, simply because they're not baynes.
          LOL..
          I love the dizzy handle... instant classic... i am freely stealing it for use as often as i can ....
          Yeah that was some seismic whiff on Baynes. Shit happens.

Yes Trent is Norm.. but why not two ?
          Its the story of having two great running backs... Play em both. They never get tired. But you do.

- TGO

Comment

With Lowry most likely gone next season we need a vet PG to back up FVV and Flynn, if not to play ahead of Flynn based on his development.

Trent is less of a ball handler than Norm so we definitely need to get in someone else that can create.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
              With Lowry most likely gone next season we need a vet PG to back up FVV and Flynn, if not to play ahead of Flynn based on his development.

Trent is less of a ball handler than Norm so we definitely need to get in someone else that can create.
              Why would plan A not be to have Fred and Flynn as your PGs and some minimum signing vet as your insurance 3rd stringer who never plays? Not really something you need to plan cap space around.

Also, most likely is pretty strong when there is every chance he's back.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Why would plan A not be to have Fred and Flynn as your PGs and some minimum signing vet as your insurance 3rd stringer who never plays? Not really something you need to plan cap space around.

Also, most likely is pretty strong when there is every chance he's back.
                For the reason I stated. Flynn may not be ready to be the primary back up to FVV by as early as next season.

It's not like they weren't trying to trade Lowry at the deadline.
                Last edited by LJ2; Fri Apr 23, 2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Like others mentioned, this team needs 2 things: A pure go-to scorer, and a C that can anchor the paint while also being a non-zero factor on offence.

If we have those, I think we can run with any team in the East because our other guards & wings are solid 2-way players, several of which with very deep playoff experience.

To me the most logical path to get those 2 things is to get a lottery pick this year, then SnT Lowry. That combination of assets will refill the pantry, and from that we can make further moves to specifically get the scorer and the C (if they're not already coming in on the draft or on the trade)

Gillespie and Birch are very likable, but the reality is one is a very raw G-league hustle big, and the other is a 5/5/1 guy we picked up on the waiver wire. I really like their energy and their hustle and they're certainly in the honeymoon phase right now with the fans, but they're not starter caliber C's on a playoff team (at least not yet, unless they have a major breakout a-la boucher).

Get the scorer and the C from the draft and from a beautiful send-off to our Groat, and this team will be back in ECF/finals territory.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
                    Like others mentioned, this team needs 2 things: A pure go-to scorer, and a C that can anchor the paint while also being a non-zero factor on offence.

If we have those, I think we can run with any team in the East because our other guards & wings are solid 2-way players, several of which with very deep playoff experience.

To me the most logical path to get those 2 things is to get a lottery pick this year, then SnT Lowry. That combination of assets will refill the pantry, and from that we can make further moves to specifically get the scorer and the C (if they're not already coming in on the draft or on the trade)

Gillespie and Birch are very likable, but the reality is one is a very raw G-league hustle big, and the other is a 5/5/1 guy we picked up on the waiver wire. I really like their energy and their hustle and they're certainly in the honeymoon phase right now with the fans, but they're not starter caliber C's on a playoff team (at least not yet, unless they have a major breakout a-la boucher).

Get the scorer and the C from the draft and from a beautiful send-off to our Groat, and this team will be back in ECF/finals territory.

starters? no.... rotation pieces at the center spot without huge drop offs? yes.

I do think we end up keeping birch and Gillespie may stay but he will be the 3rd big ... if we draft a big Gillespie is out of here. Like Evan mobley we wouldn't have a spot really for him. Birch is our back up effectively for next year and that is more than fine. Better option than many others.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

starters? no.... rotation pieces at the center spot without huge drop offs? yes.

I do think we end up keeping birch and Gillespie may stay but he will be the 3rd big ... if we draft a big Gillespie is out of here. Like Evan mobley we wouldn't have a spot really for him. Birch is our back up effectively for next year and that is more than fine. Better option than many others.
                      Birch and Dizzy Gilliese are a very uncomfortable reminder of how big a miscalculation the GM made on Serge.
                      That we marvel about how these two guys can actually catch the ball and make an athletic move to the basket is testament to how bad a fit Baynes was for our offense. Everybody has a bad year every now and again. This is Ujiris. Non one is perfect.

I agree we don't burn a FRP pick around 8 on a Centre.

- TGO

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yep... we need an iso scorer with a high ceiling on the wing....
                        Odds of getting one in FA with limited cap space are pretty low.....
                        Trading Lowry for one might be even lower. No disrespect to what Kyle has done but his trade value is centered around what he can do for you going forward. Ujiri had a chance to up his odds at the deadline by trading Kyle for picks and players that he could either use or repackage in a bigger move but he didn't like the return. Command perogative to say yes or no to what was actually offered.

So now we have to draft one.
                        The higher you pick....
                        The better your odds are.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Apr 25, 2021, 12:35 PM.
                        - TGO

Comment

Sign and trade FVV for Lavine who becomes our goto scorer and FVV gets to play close to home. Then re-sign Lowry for a couple years until Malachi is ready.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            Sign and trade FVV for Lavine who becomes our goto scorer and FVV gets to play close to home. Then re-sign Lowry for a couple years until Malachi is ready.
                            I don't understand. Fred's signed through 2023-24, same as Pascal

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't understand. Fred's signed through 2023-24, same as Pascal
                              I meant just trade. Lol. That was my suggestion last off-season before Lavine blew up huge and everybody around here hated it.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                1) No thanks, both are similar impact players but Lavine will be easy to target defensively in the playoffs.
                                2) Chicago wouldn't have done it then and wouldn't do it now.

It's such a neutral move for both teams that they both likely lose the trade due to lack of familiarity and time to get up to speed.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X