'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    I don’t think there is a big enough difference between Khem and Holmes to spend the money needed to get him. Physically Khem has a inch less standing reach, 0.5 less of a wing span, less than an inch shorter, about the same weight. Small sample size playing for the Raps, but the stats are pretty similar so far.

I you can get Holmes for 9-11M and then sign Khem for 3—5 then you are right around that league average with a good 5 rotation, and tons of money for wings and pgs. I wouldn’t want to go much more than that. Or you just sign Khem and then pick up Charles Bassey in the 2nd rd.

I’ve been most impressed with Khem’s passing, offensive rebounding and mobility. It will be fun to see how he plays as he gets more chemistry with the guys.
    This is a good point. The other thing is if Lowry’s contract value is suppressed enough do we keep him at say $18 mill per year for 2-3 years? There is a point where Lowry and Birch together are better value than having Holmes and Birch and no Lowry.

Comment

• is it possible to win these days without a super star like a KD level guy?

I think so but it's hard. I am thinking if you have enough.... OG and Siakam level guys... in otherwords #2 guys but you have 4 of those that can compete with two super stars.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
        Posting here too...

Here is my retool proposal....

Trade Siakam for KAT
        Trade Van Vleet/ Boucher and 2 SRPs for Brogdon and Sabonis

Sign GTJ for 15 million
        Sign JJ Redick for the MLE

select Kai Jones/ or Giddey/ or Kispert/ or Wagner (whoever is the Best Player available)

retain Yuta, Birch, Bembry and Watson

Sabonis
        KAT
        OG
        GTJ
        Brogdon

Flynn
        JJ Redick
        Birch
        Yuta
        Bembry
        Watson
        2021 FRP project
        Bjorkgren of Indiana is on the hot seat something related to his relationship with his players

Van Vleet and Boucher both familiar faces to him will change that...Raps will take Sabonis and Brogdon off his hands

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Bjorkgren of Indiana is on the hot seat something related to his relationship with his players

Van Vleet and Boucher both familiar faces to him will change that...Raps will take Sabonis and Brogdon off his hands
          Oh that would be nice. I love freddy but having a taller version of him in Brogdan would be nice. I think Freddy overall is better ... but I don't think that would get the job done.

Comment

• Holmes has been playing great leading the Kings to wins, not garbage time losses. Not sure if he'll be our target but he is a LOT better than Birch. Crazy how we over rate guys the second they start playing for us.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              Holmes has been playing great leading the Kings to wins, not garbage time losses. Not sure if he'll be our target but he is a LOT better than Birch. Crazy how we over rate guys the second they start playing for us.
              Right—but it’s not just Holmes vs Birch. If we sign Holmes it likely means Lowry walks for nothing.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Oh that would be nice. I love freddy but having a taller version of him in Brogdan would be nice. I think Freddy overall is better ... but I don't think that would get the job done.
                With their familiarity....I think Van Vleet can implement Bjorkgren’s vision as a coach. Boucher’s value before he got injured was up to the roof. Package both of them with the 2 Second Round Picks we just got from the recent trade deadline is a fair deal for Indiana.

Comment

• Sabonis/ KAT/ Birch and OG are good combination bigs with OG who can sometimes climb up to the 4 position with KAT as the 5.

OG with his developing strength can be a great power forward and KAT with his flexibility to knock down threes can space the floor.

As far as the guards are concern...

Brogdon drive and kick game will complement GTJs preference to be a spot up shooter

Having JJ Redick to be the 6th man will round out the guard rotation and Flynn as the back up PG

Comment

I have zero basis for this hunch, but Malcolm Brogdon does have that type of political personality where I think he could be either a strong galvanizing force, or a divisive factor in the dressing room if he turns on you. I mean, he was named after Malcolm X and his nickname is The President, right? lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I have zero basis for this hunch, but Malcolm Brogdon does have that type of political personality where I think he could be either a strong galvanizing force, or a divisive factor in the dressing room if he turns on you. I mean, he was named after Malcolm X and his nickname is The President, right? lol.
                      Nick Nurse seem to prefer strong personalities like Lowry, Serge, Marc and Van Vleet....while despising mental midgets like TD and Siakam.

Brogdon will be a good fit

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        Holmes has been playing great leading the Kings to wins, not garbage time losses. Not sure if he'll be our target but he is a LOT better than Birch. Crazy how we over rate guys the second they start playing for us.
                        Agreed. You can have both. Holmes starts, Birch off the bench, Boucher as a bench PF.

Comment

• First to say sky is not falling then last to say we need to extend mediocrity lol

Comment

• PG SG SF PF C
                            Freddy Gary Trent OG Pascal FA - MLE
                            Malachi Flynn FRP ? FRP ? Boucher Birch
                            A Project Paul Watson Yuta Gillespie

As we ride out the last few games the depth chart heading into the Draft and Free Agency looks like this to this corner of Raptors Kingdom.

We can use a third C. Depending on who it is or what they can afford will depend where the fit on the depth chart will be. Birch has earned himself a contract for next year. I know we love project big men but as easily as Gillespie was signed to cover up the epic fail on Baynes and Len so can another backup big be found in the second round of the draft or as part of a theorectical sign and trade for Kyle.

We can really really use a Wing (SF or SG) who can score. Really. This should come in the draft. Its the vaccine that ends the one year #tampa tank.

The million dollar question....What happens to Kyle ? If he stays, and I personally don't think he will, our PG depth is solidified.
                            If he walks then we get a little bit of folding money to pursue a bona fide role player who fits a specific need on the post draft depth chart in free agency.
                            What about a sign and trade you say ? Not hopeful on that front. Miami can sign him outright if thats his first choice. So we lose him for nothing. If Philly is his first choice we are going to have to eat salary along with getting that something from Philly that in retrospect Ujiri could have done at the trade deadline without a bad contract.

Still next year looks a lot better than it does right now.
                            • The team should be back at home instead of Tampa and with fans in the stands.
                            • A return to a sense of normalcy in how the season is unfolds.. the draft... FA ...... summer league and an October start to the year instead of what the league had to do to play. .
                            • A chance for players to get some time off and get over the lingering effects of Covid and the knees, ankles quads, abductors that slow guys down.
                            • We get to add quality young talent at the draft.

Go Raps.
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

is it possible to win these days without a super star like a KD level guy?

I think so but it's hard. I am thinking if you have enough.... OG and Siakam level guys... in otherwords #2 guys but you have 4 of those that can compete with two super stars.
                              I think we gotta put "winning" (as in winning it all/finals territory) on the back burner for the immediate future. This is a lottery team, we're not going to contend next year regardless of who we draft. The team is in a good spot to strike in a couple o that though - we need to use the next couple of years to develop our lottery pick, put back at least one of Siakam and Fred to the all-star to raise their value, and SnT Lowry. Then use assets from the Lowry SnT, one of Siakam/ Fred, plus one of our own future picks to trade for for a top playoff scorer. That's all doable but it will take 2-3 years

Comment

with the right pick I see us contending in two years.
                                The problem with that is we used to just say "wait til lebron leaves the East or retires" because the East was a tire fire. It really was up for grabs once he left for LA.

Now you have Durant/Kyrie/Harden (old, prime), Butler/Bam (prime, young), Embiid/Simmons (young, prime), Giannis (young, prime), Kemba Walker, Tatum, Brown, Smart (old, prime, young, potential).

Raps generally don't have the best player on the court against ANY of these teams and have to beat them team/depth to team.

Comment

Working...
                                X