Clear All

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    Posting here too...

Here is my retool proposal....

Trade Siakam for KAT
    Trade Van Vleet/ Boucher and 2 SRPs for Brogdon and Sabonis

Sign GTJ for 15 million
    Sign JJ Redick for the MLE

select Kai Jones/ or Giddey/ or Kispert/ or Wagner (whoever is the Best Player available)

retain Yuta, Birch, Bembry and Watson

Sabonis
    KAT
    OG
    GTJ
    Brogdon

Flynn
    JJ Redick
    Birch
    Yuta
    Bembry
    Watson
    2021 FRP project
    To add to my out of the box retool. I would sign and trade GTJ as well for Jaylen Brown and add our 2021 FRP to sweeten the pot.

Brogdon
    Jaylen Brown
    OG
    KAT
    Sabonis

Redick (6th man)
    Flynn
    Bembry
    Yuta
    Watson
    Birch

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

You're not wrong on the bold. From very early on I thought that with the free agent track record we had, trying to pry out the league MVP out of the team that drafted him, could pay him more, and had a better record than us, was a bit of a fool's errand. But no sense in me harping on it anymore; when you look back, you gotta try to see it from the other perspective too: The FO felt they had a shot based on the connection with Masai, and given the caliber of the player and how impactful he would be here, it wasn't unreasonable to swing for it.

At least now they can say they tried that avenue, to bring a max FA by setting up everything right capwise and controlling what they could control, even though it didn't pan out. So I made my peace. The miss had a cost, but on the bright side the team can now start fresh with a lottery pick next year, hopefully back home.
      The Raptors and everyone else felt like they had a shot at Giannis because Milwaukee is a frozen shit hole that is predominantly racist as hell. Giannis could make up the difference in salary with endorsements just about anywhere else. He's a good dude though and believes in what they're doing there. Most NBA players in his situation would have bolted and that's what we were betting on and it was a decent bet.

Comment

• and...what might a first round matchup look like for the Bucks you say?....let's check and see who is currently in the six seed...yup..the Heat. A couple of more flameouts and even loyal Giannis may want out

Comment

• Here's a good write up by Bobby Marks that looks at a lot of the numbers and options for the Raps this off season

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...-gary-trent-jr

Comment

• It would be awesome if DeMar came back because Lowry to less money for him to come back for a year or two. Adding DeMar, a rookie, keeping Lowry, Trent Jr., Boucher and Birch...and hopefully another 5, I think we would be a contender. That would be a deep roster!

Birch/????/Boucher
            Pascal/Boucher/OG
            OG/Gary Trent Jr./DeMar/Rookie
            FVV/Demar/Gary Trent Jr./Rookie
            Lowry/FVV/Flynn

Each of Birch, Pascal, Boucher, OG, Gary Trent Jr, DeMar, FVV, and Lowry could each average around 30 mins a game. So playing time shouldn't be an issue. It would be a potent lineup. Guys could have nights off to get Flynn and the Rookie some time. Would that team be a top 3 or better in the East?

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
              It would be awesome if DeMar came back because Lowry to less money for him to come back for a year or two. Adding DeMar, a rookie, keeping Lowry, Trent Jr., Boucher and Birch...and hopefully another 5, I think we would be a contender. That would be a deep roster!

Birch/????/Boucher
              Pascal/Boucher/OG
              OG/Gary Trent Jr./DeMar/Rookie
              FVV/Demar/Gary Trent Jr./Rookie
              Lowry/FVV/Flynn

Each of Birch, Pascal, Boucher, OG, Gary Trent Jr, DeMar, FVV, and Lowry could each average around 30 mins a game. So playing time shouldn't be an issue. It would be a potent lineup. Guys could have nights off to get Flynn and the Rookie some time. Would that team be a top 3 or better in the East?
              DeMar and Kyle are ~$45-50M in any world man lol
              But yah top 4 and a second round exit.
              Been there done that.

Comment

• DeMar and Kyle never had this type of supporting cast.... hell they might even be the supporting cast now. Can't tell me it wouldn't be interesting.

Comment

DeMar and Kyle never had this type of supporting cast.... hell they might even be the supporting cast now. Can't tell me it wouldn't be interesting.
                  DeMar always projected as a 6th man on a contender. If that's the role he's sliding into, great. Doubt he has interest in that though, and doubt he has interest in the MLE we could offer. Birch coming back needs an exception too, might be difficult to pull off if we use the MLE on DeMar even if he would take it.

That probably runs us to a great regular season record and into a wall in the playoffs though. Doesn't really address the issues this team has faced.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DeMar and Kyle never had this type of supporting cast.... hell they might even be the supporting cast now. Can't tell me it wouldn't be interesting.
                    i mean to be fair they had siakam early on when he was just emerging, and OG as well. The problem is they didn't have Gasol. You cant win if you have two defensive liabilities on the floor. so from a "positional stand point we were more balanced but in reality we had JV who would get crushed in the pick and roll and only started playing decent defence the year he was traded for Gasol a former defensive player of the year and realistically one of the smartest defensive players we will ever see. Plus we shifted it for a playmaker who could pass so well it boosted our 3 point shooting sky high. Demar also always ALWAYS struggled with the 3.

So to say they never had this type of cast is partly true ... do I think it is something that could sell tickets? sure... I mean if we some how draft mobley and sign demar.... it be a good team an interesting team.. but I don't know... demar is a different player but ultimately I think its something that still struggles.

Comment

• Here's a question for everyone for next year's roster construction. What team is the best comparable for the 2021/22 Raptors? I mean, we will hopefully get a promising player in the draft but he's not going to be force fed minutes or have an unlimited leash on an otherwise going nowhere team. If we have FVV, OG,Pascal, Trent and Kyle/new C...where do those minutes come from? You could say this years Warriors with Wiseman but once Klay was out things changed. Otherwise, in the last 10 years, the only "good team" that had a top 8 pick would be the 2016-17 C#*"tics. Or, ironically, the 2015/16 Raptors (but with the 9th pick). Boston had just blown up their team by trading for Kyrie so that's also a different scenario where you had to work in both him and the rookies. Should be interesting.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

DeMar always projected as a 6th man on a contender. If that's the role he's sliding into, great. Doubt he has interest in that though, and doubt he has interest in the MLE we could offer. Birch coming back needs an exception too, might be difficult to pull off if we use the MLE on DeMar even if he would take it.

That probably runs us to a great regular season record and into a wall in the playoffs though. Doesn't really address the issues this team has faced.
                        Fred also projects a 6th man on a contender. Let's face it, on any team other than the Raptors, Kyle & DeMar are the starting backcourt and Fred is coming off the bench, as a combo guard.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          Here's a question for everyone for next year's roster construction. What team is the best comparable for the 2021/22 Raptors? I mean, we will hopefully get a promising player in the draft but he's not going to be force fed minutes or have an unlimited leash on an otherwise going nowhere team. If we have FVV, OG,Pascal, Trent and Kyle/new C...where do those minutes come from? You could say this years Warriors with Wiseman but once Klay was out things changed. Otherwise, in the last 10 years, the only "good team" that had a top 8 pick would be the 2016-17 C#*"tics. Or, ironically, the 2015/16 Raptors (but with the 9th pick). Boston had just blown up their team by trading for Kyrie so that's also a different scenario where you had to work in both him and the rookies. Should be interesting.
                          not too many comparables that i can think of, but the one that seems closest to me are the 08-09 miami heat. won a title in 2006. brought the gang back for the 06/07 season but some of the vets were pretty long in the tooth and lost in round 1. made changes following that year for 07/08 including trading a veteran big, but couldn't develop the right chemistry. then they got hit by the injury bug and tanked egregiously down the stretch.

they ended up drafting beasley with the 2nd pick and went back to being somewhere between mediocre to pretty good for two seasons.

then they made the biggest free agency signings in decades, so we have that to look forward to.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Fred also projects a 6th man on a contender. Let's face it, on any team other than the Raptors, Kyle & DeMar are the starting backcourt and Fred is coming off the bench, as a combo guard.
                            Fred essentially took over the starting SG role by the end of the literal championship run we actually made, even if Green was still nominally in the Scola starter spot.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              Here's a question for everyone for next year's roster construction. What team is the best comparable for the 2021/22 Raptors? I mean, we will hopefully get a promising player in the draft but he's not going to be force fed minutes or have an unlimited leash on an otherwise going nowhere team. If we have FVV, OG,Pascal, Trent and Kyle/new C...where do those minutes come from? You could say this years Warriors with Wiseman but once Klay was out things changed. Otherwise, in the last 10 years, the only "good team" that had a top 8 pick would be the 2016-17 C#*"tics. Or, ironically, the 2015/16 Raptors (but with the 9th pick). Boston had just blown up their team by trading for Kyrie so that's also a different scenario where you had to work in both him and the rookies. Should be interesting.
                              The optimist in me says 96-97 Spurs. So let's go with that.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

The optimist in me says 96-97 Spurs. So let's go with that.
                                I really hope you meant 97-98 Spurs instead, or else you are the world's weakest optimist.

Comment

Working...
                                X