'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Just read the free agent preview at the Athletic. The more I think of it, the more I think we just run it back and stay nimble. If we can resign Kyle to a reasonable number great. As mentioned above, stay flexible and be ready to pounce rather than signing another Carroll contract. I wouldn’t really want Kemba but there’s another example of an all star suddenly wanting out. You never know what will happen.
    Free agency is a fool's errand for us. It works to get mid-level players for depth but we shouldn't bank on finding high-end starters through it (unless if it's re-signing our own guys). We're much better builders than buyers, that's how we've historically built our rosters.

The big offseason move here is a Lowry SnT. Start to replenish the depth we lost post-championship, get younger in the process, and allow Lowry to go compete somewhere else, he deserves it.

Comment

• I agree. If Kyle will take our money next year, what makes us a better team? Holmes and a Kyle replacement or Kyle and a Holmes replacement? I think the former.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
        I agree. If Kyle will take our money next year, what makes us a better team? Holmes and a Kyle replacement or Kyle and a Holmes replacement? I think the former.
        Lowry and Birch seems like a better option than Holmes and whatever the room MLE gets you in terms of a guard. Like, significantly better.

If Holmes is the prize, count me out of FA. If they want to chase an RFA, can't blame them. Allen or Collins are nice options, though long shots to actually be able to get either.

But honestly if Lowry wants to come back they won't beat that option in FA this year.

I think the most likely alternative to Lowry returning is him wanting to go elsewhere and so they agree to help via SnT so he has the ability to get paid on a contender. Which means no cap room anyway, in all likelihood.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Lowry S&T or let him walk and use the cap space on upside value signings. Guys like Birch who are cheap but have potential to be a lot better when given a better role. Birch played so much better for us than Orlando and I think there are a lot of guys like that around the league. Talented players who aren't put in a position to succeed so undervalued. It's also something Masai has been doing already, like the Stanley Johnson signing. That one didn't work out but it was worth a shot, and I expect some more signings like that.

Comment

• Construct this

Comment

• Yeah contruct that because inserting a player in a core of Siakam/ Van Vleet/ OG and GTJ “we will be good” b.s. talk was just downgraded to Van Vleet/ OG and GTJ core lol.

Timeline is OG/ GTJ and Flynn plus 2021 FRP

Van Vleet and Boucher are the odd man out.

This team is not competing in 2-3 years so trading both Van Vleet and Boucher is the most prudent move as they are the two 28 years old still with value while Siakam is on the mend and untradeable now

Van Vleet and Boucher are 28 years old.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                Yeah contruct that because inserting a player in a core of Siakam/ Van Vleet/ OG and GTJ “we will be good” b.s. talk was just downgraded to Van Vleet/ OG and GTJ core lol.

This team is not competing in 2-3 years so trading both Van Vleet and Boucher is the most prudent move as they are the two 28 years old still with value while Siakam is on the mend and untradeable now

27 isn't old (FVV is 27), FVV has another good 7 years in him. There are reasons to trade FVV but age isn't one of them.
                Last edited by Primer; Sat Jun 12, 2021, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah contruct that because inserting a player in a core of Siakam/ Van Vleet/ OG and GTJ “we will be good” b.s. talk was just downgraded to Van Vleet/ OG and GTJ core lol.

FVV and Siakam are both 26 years old.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

they both turned 27 earlier this year. but glad someone's pointed it out, the claw has been calling them both 28 in every single post he's made since they were 26

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

27 isn't old (FVV is 27), FVV has another good 7 years in him. There are reasons to trade FVV but age isn't one of them.
                      I would appreciate if you re-read my post and dont just nitpick something that caught your eye, because the entirety of what I am trying to imply is that Van Vleet does not fit with the timeline of OG/GTJ/Flynn and the 2021 FRP.

Your response about Van Vleet having another good 7 years seem to put words in my mouth as if I’m trying to suggest that Van Vleet is already wash up and he is pretty much useless.

He has value at that age, that is why he should be traded.

Comment

Van Vleet - February 25, 1994(age 27)

Pascal Siakam - April 2, 1994(age 27)

When the season starts in Next November, its a matter of months that they both are 28.

Being anal about exact age is not
                        my best strength golden so my apologies.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

they both turned 27 earlier this year. but glad someone's pointed it out, the claw has been calling them both 28 in every single post he's made since they were 26
                          So Age is just a number lol

Comment

Van Vleet - February 25, 1994(age 27)

Pascal Siakam - April 2, 1994(age 27)

When the season starts in Next November, its a matter of months that they both are 28.

Being anal about exact age is not
                            my best strength golden so my apologies.
                            I would use the age they will be for most of the current season they are playing in. So they both just finished their age 26 season and will be entering their age 27 season, IMO. Not to be pedantic, but you were calling them 28 all last season, which was way off.

Comment

I would appreciate if you re-read my post and dont just nitpick something that caught your eye, because the entirety of what I am trying to imply is that Van Vleet does not fit with the timeline of OG/GTJ/Flynn and the 2021 FRP.

Your response about Van Vleet having another good 7 years seem to put words in my mouth as if I’m trying to suggest that Van Vleet is already wash up and he is pretty much useless.

He has value at that age, that is why he should be traded.
                              He does fit with the timeline though, that's why you're wrong and not making sense. FVV fits on every timeline because he will be a high level nba player for another 7 years. It's perfectly fine and preferable to have a range of ages on a team. Lowry is too old, FVV is not.

Comment

I would use the age they will be for most of the current season they are playing in. So they both just finished their age 26 season and will be entering their age 27 season, IMO. Not to be pedantic, but you were calling them 28 all last season, which was way off.
                                How would you know what I was thinking? ….all along I am thinking that Van Vleet will not be traded until he is close to Demar Derozan’s age when he was also traded…I mentioned Derozan’s age at 28 when he got traded almost every time I expect Van Vleet to be booted out.

Not to be pedantic too but you also said that he is 26 lmao on your original post BUT you were savvy enough to now say that they just finished their age 26 and will be entering 27.

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X