'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty sure he can afford on on LA too lol.

Comment

• The article about trading to Dallas is some scary crap, for porzingis? Heck I wouldn't trade our bench players for his injury prone body.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
        The article about trading to Dallas is some scary crap, for porzingis? Heck I wouldn't trade our bench players for his injury prone body.
        He's really not that injury prone. There are reasons to not want him but the injuries shouldn't be one of them. He basically played the same amount of games the past 2 seasons as Kyle Lowry. Would you say Lowry is injury prone?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

He's really not that injury prone. There are reasons to not want him but the injuries shouldn't be one of them. He basically played the same amount of games the past 2 seasons as Kyle Lowry. Would you say Lowry is injury prone?
          There was a lot of "rest' for Lowry last season for the tanking. Lowry also plays heavy minutes when he's on (often close to the top of the league in minutes per game). Porzingis is also 10 years younger than Lowry. He's been in nba for 6 seasons, and has averaged 48 games per season (that includes a season off due to an ACL), with no physically draining deep playoff runs over these years. That seems low to me for a 25yr old, but I guess not that uncommon in players over 7'0" (he's 7'3").

Comment

• I'm starting to really think the Lowry/Ben Simmons S&T has some legs. I also think it could be that high risk, high reward trade for our team. I also think he could fit, especially with Nurse at the helm.

You would keep your draft pick. Personally I still would want Green if given the choice.

The one caveat I would have is that Simmons agrees to play a Forward/Centre/Point position. He can't be the point guard. Not on a winning team. He can have the offence funnel through him at some points though. Hopefully our coaching squad could help him with the whole shooting thing. Potentially switching his shooting hand.

I think a Squad of
            FVV
            Trent jr/Green
            OG
            Siakam
            Simmons

Could be a deadly, small ball team with serious defensive chops. Multiple guys that can straight up guard 1-5. Switch on everything. They would be crazy in transition. You would just want to keep around a Birch like centre (hopefully actually Birch) for late game situations and for that big bruising bigs that you will see throughout the season (Jonas, Gobert, Embiid, etc).

It would be an interesting experiment. Obviously it could blow up in your face, and that contract would be almost unmovable if he doesn't get his offence back up. I think that it would be better than Lowry walking for nothing and going to try to get a guy like Holmes.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
              I'm starting to really think the Lowry/Ben Simmons S&T has some legs. I also think it could be that high risk, high reward trade for our team. I also think he could fit, especially with Nurse at the helm.

You would keep your draft pick. Personally I still would want Green if given the choice.

The one caveat I would have is that Simmons agrees to play a Forward/Centre/Point position. He can't be the point guard. Not on a winning team. He can have the offence funnel through him at some points though. Hopefully our coaching squad could help him with the whole shooting thing. Potentially switching his shooting hand.

I think a Squad of
              FVV
              Trent jr/Green
              OG
              Siakam
              Simmons

Could be a deadly, small ball team with serious defensive chops. Multiple guys that can straight up guard 1-5. Switch on everything. They would be crazy in transition. You would just want to keep around a Birch like centre (hopefully actually Birch) for late game situations and for that big bruising bigs that you will see throughout the season (Jonas, Gobert, Embiid, etc).

It would be an interesting experiment. Obviously it could blow up in your face, and that contract would be almost unmovable if he doesn't get his offence back up. I think that it would be better than Lowry walking for nothing and going to try to get a guy like Holmes.
              I'm ok with a Lowry for Simmons move, but then shipping Simmons to a 3rd team for assets from them. Like Portland, where they need defence more than anything and where Simmons would hurt their spacing as much with his non-shooting.

Comment

• Philly turned down Brogdon and a 1st for Simmons, there isn't any legs to Lowry with no picks for Simmons.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    He shoots ...he scores!! (Well, off the court at least...)

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                      Philly turned down Brogdon and a 1st for Simmons, there isn't any legs to Lowry with no picks for Simmons.
                      I don't know that that follows, as Lowry is still a bigger get than Brogdon. Philly absolutely should not be trying to get draft assets for Simmons, it makes no sense for them. They need win now pieces, and Brogdon isn't an obvious upgrade on Simmons the way Lowry could be (in specific contexts).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I don't know that that follows, as Lowry is still a bigger get than Brogdon. Philly absolutely should not be trying to get draft assets for Simmons, it makes no sense for them. They need win now pieces, and Brogdon isn't an obvious upgrade on Simmons the way Lowry could be (in specific contexts).
                        Brogdon is 28, not 35, that's a huge plus for Brogdon right out the gate. He has improved every season and is coming off a career year where you'd be hard pressed to say he wasn't better than Lowry. He's signed through 2022-23 for similar to less than Lowry wants. How exactly is Lowry a bigger get than Brogdon?

The pick, even if Philly doesn't want to use it themselves, is the best trade asset a team can have and still extremely valuable.

You would be very hard pressed to convince me Brogdon + a 1st isn't a better return than Lowry.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

yeah at the stage Philly is at, Lowry would be more impactful than Brogdon hands down. They shouldn't be looking at age of players or thinking too much about years ahead at the stage they're at, they've done that enough over the past 5 years. They gotta win now while Embiid is still healthy and add a true spacing PG and floor general to their offence rather than beat around the bush.

If they had pulled the trigger on the rumoured Lowry trade at the deadline rather than fuss over assets like Thybulle/Maxey/late FRP (if that was indeed on the table), they'd probably be in the finals right now.

Comment

• I agree, brogdon is massively overrated. I'd take lowry with no pick on that team making a much bigger impact, even at his age.

Comment

• I must be crazy 'cause reading that people think Lowry is a huge improvement over Simmons has me scratching my head. Certainly Lowry is a winner and we all know about the troubles Simmons has/had in the playoffs, but he's still a complete stud in all other aspects than shooting. At best it would be a lateral move, but when you consider Simmons is one of the best defenders in the league and can guard 4 positions and is a lot younger .... Lowry is only a game changer for that team WITH Simmons and Embid there.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                I must be crazy 'cause reading that people think Lowry is a huge improvement over Simmons has me scratching my head. Certainly Lowry is a winner and we all know about the troubles Simmons has/had in the playoffs, but he's still a complete stud in all other aspects than shooting. At best it would be a lateral move, but when you consider Simmons is one of the best defenders in the league and can guard 4 positions and is a lot younger .... Lowry is only a game changer for that team WITH Simmons and Embid there.
                                The entire proposal rests on the idea that they might have to trade Simmons. If they do, I find it hard to peg a player they could conceivably get in return that would help them more now.

That said, in the regular season it is probably a step back. But of course, they aren't making the trade for the regular season... And in the playoffs, Lowry's fit beside Embiid is way better than Simmons'. They can find defenders (heck, Thybulle is a lot more playable not having to share the court with Simmons). Lowry level impact players who fit seamlessly next to their star are harder to find.

Still, if they want to keep Simmons, there is still a pretty easy to put together package for a Lowry SnT, but it will cost them multiple assets instead of just the one in Simmons, even if the overall value is less.

twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X