No announcement yet.

'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if Lowry comes back and GTJ comes back. Barnes is going to play off the bench.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      if Lowry comes back and GTJ comes back. Barnes is going to play off the bench.
      We have to bring Lowry back now... right?

Comment

• Next steps are interesting following the Barnes pick. If Lowry walks do we use that money on a center? Holmes also doesn’t shoot and won’t space the floor. Seems like we need someone that can create their own shot in the half court still. Have to assume their is something planned.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Flynn is going to be PG? lol fuck
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Lol.

It is entertaining that you and Mixxaor are feeding off each other with posts all morning. Great back court. .

The offseason is not over yet, hold your horses

Comment

• Hearing Webster post draft Zoom Q&A with T.O. Media, they wanted to address the Lowry situation first.

Let me veer off course for a sec…that Kuminga pick to the Warriors may NOT be a move that the Warriors are just calling it day. I read somewhere about Masai’s interest of having both Kuminga and Barnes together. Warriors also took Moody. That said, the rumor about the Warriors offering Wiggins/ Wiseman/ 7 and 14 to the Raptors for Siakam could be revisited.

lots of moving parts this offseason for sure, this could be one of those sleepless summer nights of Masai and Bobby, same is true with the diehard RR people

Comment

Looks like the team building philosophy is clear: Surround FVV with BIG ball-handlers who can defend multiple positions and can't shoot (we'll try to teach that).

Kind of like FVV & Delon Wright in the vaunted Bench Mob year.

Fred is going to retire as a Raptor, folks. Book it.
                I might be reading too much into it but I feel the decision to draft Barnes was also influenced by the highly hierarchical culture with have under Nurse: Barnes presents no pressure to break up the Lowry-FVV backcourt Nurse is enamoured with, whereas Suggs would.

The only way our good 'n'old shortest-wingspan-backcourt-in-the-league is broken up is if one of Lowry or Fred is gone from the team. There's a good chance Lowry will go, but there's also a good chance he'll stick around, and Fred like you say, ain't going nowhere.

So looks like we got another year of no-length backcourt (shots from the logo), with no scorer in the frontcourt either, so lots of our well known offensive draughts in the half-court in the horizon. We had the chance to address that this year, but we keep getting defensive-first boy-scouts , so it'll be tough.

The wettest shot is Trent, but if his defence (at age 22 and new to the team) is not absolutely impeccable, Nurse will drag his minutes down and he won't get rhythm & confidence. Never thought I'd say this but my hope now is Lonzo on a SnT, but if we're trading with Philly it wouldn't surprise me if the target is Thybulle. Cuz, you know, he's a good defender.

Comment

• Everybody's talking about is Barnes here to replace Pascal etc, what if the actual 2 to 3 year plan here is to turn Barnes into the point guard not unlike Simmons, and have Fred 2 OG 3 Pascal 4. His IG bio reads: "6'9 PG", so we know what his goal is.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Everybody's talking about is Barnes here to replace Pascal etc, what if the actual 2 to 3 year plan here is to turn Barnes into the point guard not unlike Simmons, and have Fred 2 OG 3 Pascal 4. His IG bio reads: "6'9 PG", so we know what his goal is.
                    I'd be open to him being the future PG. He even said it in his presser today, he is most comfortable at point. Ball handling and playmaking are two of his strengths. Will be interesting.

Comment

• Are we talking PG on defense or offense? I like that he can guard PG's. Would be cool to have OG on one guard, and Barnes on another. Lock 'em up before they even cross half court.

PG's on offense need to shoot and be able to create for themselves. He has to develop that part of his game before guaranteeing him that spot on the floor.

Comment

• I think some of you guys are reading too much into it. Bobby came straight out and said they're drafting for BPA and not for position, they're not really thinking about roster pieces, they're just picking the guy they think will be the best player in 3-4 years. Looks to me like they did that because Suggs is probably a better player next year than Barnes and Barnes creates some roster construction problems. Looks like they think Barnes will be the better player eventually so that's who they want.

Who the better player will be in 3-4 years is obviously a bit of a crap shoot, no one knows the future. A key subjective element is Masai/Bobby clearly have a player type they prefer and Barnes fits that type. They value this type of player and that is part of what they consider to be 'BPA.'

It also means more time and more roster moves are need to get to where they want to be. If they had drafted Suggs and managed to s+t Lowry into a C or maximize their cap space this summer and sign the best C available, I'd guess they'd have a better team next season than they will on the current trajectory. But evidently a better team next season isn't what they're aiming for, they're aiming for the best possible team - eventually. I think that ceiling just got pushed down the road a bit with this draft.

We're going to be waiting 2-4 years before we know if they got Suggs vs Barnes 'right.'
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Comment

• Quick reminder that summer league games are trash and don't mean anything. Prepare for weeks of overreactions.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Quick reminder that summer league games are trash and don't mean anything. Prepare for weeks of overreactions.
                              True.. just nice to have those games back again though. Feels like the NBA is back to normal.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                I think some of you guys are reading too much into it. Bobby came straight out and said they're drafting for BPA and not for position, they're not really thinking about roster pieces, they're just picking the guy they think will be the best player in 3-4 years. Looks to me like they did that because Suggs is probably a better player next year than Barnes and Barnes creates some roster construction problems. Looks like they think Barnes will be the better player eventually so that's who they want.

It also means more time and more roster moves are need to get to where they want to be. If they had drafted Suggs and managed to s+t Lowry into a C or maximize their cap space this summer and sign the best C available, I'd guess they'd have a better team next season than they will on the current trajectory. But evidently a better team next season isn't what they're aiming for, they're aiming for the best possible team - eventually. I think that ceiling just got pushed down the road a bit with this draft.
                                Agree. They took Barnes cause they think he's going to be better than Suggs or anyone else picked after. Webster made a comment pre-draft about how there is now so much turnover in the NBA that it makes sense to just pick the BPA cause your roster is going to change anyway.

As for what comes next, they need a bucket-getter to start with Fred and a center, in that order.

Comment

Working...
                                X