'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

It will be a struggle early on when Pascal is out, but for the regular season the offence has every ability to be just fine with Pascal and FVV as the playmakers/initiators.

Dragic will help but I don't think he's that crucial to the offensive success. You want Flynn to step up, you want Barnes to get a chance doing some creation stuff, you want Trent to show more, and all of that might go terribly or it could all go great or anywhere in between, but I think it goes well enough that our offence is viable enough for the defence to carry us to a lot of success.
    Trent and Flynn are the guys I'm hoping can step in to replace Lowry's scoring. OG may surprise as well.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Trent and Flynn are the guys I'm hoping can step in to replace Lowry's scoring. OG may surprise as well.
      We're getting Trey Burke for Dragic, so nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Start: Barnes-FVV-OG-Siakam-Birch (if opposing C is physical) or FVV-Trent-OG-Barnes-Siakam (our 5 best players)

I think this team this year will be around .500 to .560 (41 to 46 wins). If that's good enough to get in the playoffs in the East, they should push for it and start getting these young guys used to the higher pressure playoffs situations. If they're threading water around the "play-in" level, may as well flip dragic at the deadline, tank again and draft a pure scorer next year.

This is a low-expectation season, and I'd use that to start getting Barnes going at PG, where he can playmake while others carry most of the shooting. That way he can have the time to hone his shooting with less pressure, and hopefully in 2-3 years become a complete player running the team at that position, with the court vision, length, playmaking, shooting and defence.

At that point Siakam & Fred will be 30, peaking and prime for either helping us make a push for the finals, or in a good trade position for an established star that would.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Lowry only averaged 17 a game last season.. Dragic averaged 13 in about 8 less minutes, with about the same number of games (46 compared to 50). So getting 4 more points shouldn't be too difficult.

It's the other stuff that Kyle brings that will be tougher. He got bigs engaged in their spots. He knew how to win his minutes when on the floor by grabbing a board, finding a guy to pass the ball to who was wide open, setting a timely screen etc. Creating a play out of thin air when defenses figured out their first or second option, etc.

Hopefully Fred and OG step up as our vets while Pascal is still healing. I don't suspect Flynn to have that much of an impact though. But if he does that will be a great surprise.

Comment

• You guys are hung up on standard cookie cutter NBA offense. That's not what we're running this year. This has been talked about a ton in most of these threads. Everyone is expected to be a distributor and move well without the ball to create easy buckets. We'll have 2-3 guys who can bring the ball up the floor at any given time and initiate the offense. We will swing it around while everyone cuts until someone gets an easy shot. We aren't running any iso heavy sets unless someone goes off script (looking at you Fred).

FVV, Pascal, and Trent will all be liable to go off for 20+ on any given night. OG is gonna give you 16+ points a game. Birch is gonna give you 14+. The bench is built similarly and given the minutes will have that same scoring potential. Flynn, Dragic, and Boucher will be liable to go off for 20+ if given enough shots. Barnes and Precious will give you 14+.

Stop thinking about this as a prototypical NBA offense because that's not what we're running.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              We aren't running any iso heavy sets unless someone goes off script (looking at you Fred).
              I hope this is true. This should be an equal opportunity offence focused on ball movement, cutting and hitting the open man. It would be better for Pascal and Freddie if their usages we reduced in favourite of giving OG, and Trent a bigger slice of the pie. I think we are heading down the path of the 2004 Pistons team again. Just a well balanced team, with depth, that can play D. It may not be this year, and it won't be flashy, but when our core of OG, Trent, Pascal, Freddie, Scottie, Flynn, Precious, Birch develop for a couple years the Raptors are going to be a true contender.

Comment

• How are Raps for Cap Space after the Banton signing? What do we have left to work with?

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

I hope this is true. This should be an equal opportunity offence focused on ball movement, cutting and hitting the open man. It would be better for Pascal and Freddie if their usages we reduced in favourite of giving OG, and Trent a bigger slice of the pie. I think we are heading down the path of the 2004 Pistons team again. Just a well balanced team, with depth, that can play D. It may not be this year, and it won't be flashy, but when our core of OG, Trent, Pascal, Freddie, Scottie, Flynn, Precious, Birch develop for a couple years the Raptors are going to be a true contender.
                  Last year they talked about all this stuff and when it wasn’t Pascal or FVV in isolation it was 5 guys standing around jacking threes. I will believe it when I see it.

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                    How are Raps for Cap Space after the Banton signing? What do we have left to work with?
                    Enough to tinker around the edges some more but nothing meaningful. They forfeited cap space when they chose to facilitate Lowry's move to Miami and absorb Dragic. As of now the only change that could bing in a rotation level player would be via a Dragic trade. There's been some renewed chatter about Oct 1st when another Dallas player would be available for a move but that's very much up in the air.

I think they will hold on to Dragic until a return they're happy with comes up, and that's reasonable.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                      There's been some renewed chatter about Oct 1st when another Dallas player would be available for a move but that's very much up in the air.
                      U didn't come close to answering my question at all. lol Why even reply?

Comment

• Trent might be our x factor. If he can drop 16+ on a regular and play above average d we should be good. Oh and rebounding. Pascal and OG gotta get in there more. We’ll be lucky to make the playoffs if we’re at the bottom in rebounding again

Comment

• Looking here:
                          https://www.basketballinsiders.com/t...s-team-salary/

Raptors have 15 guys signed to deals with Banton's deal done. Gillespie and Wainwright have partial guarantee deals though. Gillspie's fully guarantee expires on Aug 20, otherwise gets only $50K. Wainwright's expires on Jan 7th.. and he has a partial guarantee of $250K.

They signed Johnson and Chmpagnie to 2-way deals.

So that's the roster for now.

If we get an additional player on any potential Dragic trade, then we'll have to release either Freddie G or Ismail (or both) to fit them in. Plus we won't want to get past the $136.6M tax line. Don't know the particulars on the Banton deal, but I suspect we're real close.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Looking here:

Raptors have 15 guys signed to deals with Banton's deal done. Gillespie and Wainwright have partial guarantee deals though. Gillspie's fully guarantee expires on Aug 20, otherwise gets only $50K. Wainwright's expires on Jan 7th.. and he has a partial guarantee of $250K.

If we get an additional player on any potential Dragic trade, then we'll have to release either Freddie G or Ismail (or both) to fit them in. Plus we won't want to get past the $136.6M tax line. Don't know the particulars on the Banton deal, but I suspect we're real close.
                            $132M booked + Bonga, so about $3M left for camp invites if they wanna turn up the pressure before they trim the fat.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Looking here:

Missing a few details there.

Raps have 11 guys locked in.

FVV, Trent, OG, Pascal, Birch, Dragic, Flynn, Barnes, Boucher, Precious, Banton.

They have room under the tax for 14 guys. They can't fit a 15th unless they shed salary in a trade.

Those final three spots are a camp competition between a bunch of guys with varying guarantees.

Yuta (375k), Gillespie (50k assuming he at least makes it to camp), Dekker (350k), Wainright (250k), Bonga (200k)

Three spots for 5 guys. Yuta I'd expect to be a heavy favourite for one. Leaving 2 spots for the final 4 guys. Personally I think Wainright should get one. So it comes down to Dekker, Bonga and Gillespie for the final spot. And we need a guard. So I think Bonga makes more sense.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Missing a few details there.

Raps have 11 guys locked in.

FVV, Trent, OG, Pascal, Birch, Dragic, Flynn, Barnes, Boucher, Precious, Banton.

They have room under the tax for 14 guys. They can't fit a 15th unless they shed salary in a trade.

Those final three spots are a camp competition between a bunch of guys with varying guarantees.

Yuta (375k), Gillespie (50k assuming he at least makes it to camp), Dekker (350k), Wainright (250k), Bonga (200k)

Three spots for 5 guys. Yuta I'd expect to be a heavy favourite for one. Leaving 2 spots for the final 4 guys. Personally I think Wainright should get one. So it comes down to Dekker, Bonga and Gillespie for the final spot. And we need a guard. So I think Bonga makes more sense.
                                Right now, with 16 salaries (and recognizing that they won't have all 16 on the roster), the Raps are at just over $138m. Ish has the cheapest salary for the next two years and he's a guard so I agree he's likely. Dekker and Bonga are both forwards and neither can really defend the 2; I figure we're going to see a few more guys invited to training camp on non-guaranteed deals.

I also think our salary situation makes it a near-certainty that Dragic gets traded before training camp starts. We can trade him before the end of the month and we know there's a market for him; Masai and Bobby are just taking their time looking for the right offer before his salary becomes an issue (since they obviously want to sign a few more guys for training camp at the least).

Comment

Working...
                                X