'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    It's to the point where we really could run a fully 6'8+ lineup. It's to the point where Nurse might need to play OG some at the 2, if only to find minutes for Yuta and Barnes at the 3/4. And this stockpile should more than cover us at the 5 position where people seem to forget about Boucher, and Precious and Birch are clearly also in the forward-centre mold.

It's just refreshing, and really makes me optimistic for the future, not only not having to start Mo Pete or Ross at the 3, but to have 5 or more guys that could probably start at small forward, or at power forward, or even the 5 for that matter, without missing a beat with their length/athleticism combo.

I am hoping OG plays minutes at the 2. I think Yuta has earned his minutes along with the bench units and 3rd string. I see us trading boucher more than likely.The thing about Yuta is he can split minutes at the 3 and at the 4 equally and be just fine. You can play him next to barnes no problem.

Basically we are moving towards a soccer model where starting doesn't matter but matchups do. you play the guys who are best for the match ups.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

where has he been?
      Say his name...

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Flynn is the backup PG, I think he'll be getting close to 20 a night.

You probably are right about Yuta getting minutes, but it will likely be us resting guys and he moves into a backup role, or hopefully we just dominate games and that will give us plenty of time to play Yuta. Not to mention the second we have an injury Yuta is the next man up.
        He is? I would not assume that.

Comment

• Camp opens in 40 days.
          Regardless of who fills out the 11 through 15 on the depth chart ...

Is this a playoff team ?
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            Camp opens in 40 days.

Is this a playoff team ?
            If everyone remains healthy for the most part, I think so. We'll miss Kyle for sure, but our bench went from Flynn, Bembry, Yuta, Stanley and Boucher to Flynn, Dragic, Barnes, Boucher and Precious, along with no Baynes starting at C and playing in Toronto again.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              Camp opens in 40 days.

Is this a playoff team ?
              I anticipate them to be around .500 this year (~41-41). In the East that's probably playoffs, but if they're in that "play-in tournament zone" I'd rather they pull back again for another high pick and come in stronger the year after. Their vision is 2-3 years from now, this should be an adjustment year (first year without Lowry, lots of new faces etc)), so I'm okay with that.

Comment

• Raptors will be better for sure.. but making the playoffs is no guarantee. I think they get in, and likely have to compete in the play-in to get there. But there is so much more parity in the East than ever before.

Nets and Bucks are the class of the East. Pistons/Magic/Cavs are the teams tanking out of the gate.

So that leaves 10 teams vying for 6 playoff spots. And it's really a toss up.

Miami and Philly have better win now rosters. Boston likely has a better team (at least has more star power with Tatum). Atlanta will be as good or better as last season. But I can't guarantee a spot at all. But I think they get in anyway. I think a team like NY takes a slight step back. Maybe Washington as well but that's hard to say.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Raptors will be better for sure.. but making the playoffs is no guarantee. I think they get in, and likely have to compete in the play-in to get there. But there is so much more parity in the East than ever before.

Nets and Bucks are the class of the East. Pistons/Magic/Cavs are the teams tanking out of the gate.

So that leaves 10 teams vying for 6 playoff spots. And it's really a toss up.

Miami and Philly have better win now rosters. Boston likely has a better team (at least has more star power with Tatum). Atlanta will be as good or better as last season. But I can't guarantee a spot at all. But I think they get in anyway. I think a team like NY takes a slight step back. Maybe Washington as well but that's hard to say.
                  I think philly takes a step back to prep for the play offs .. they don't care about seeding any more. ATL will be going for it but yeah. NYC takes a step back Washington will DEFINITELY take a step back but be competitive. I think we will be sneaky good but top 4 is looking like the best we can do. I think our floor is the 8th seed.

We have pretty solid guys who have luckily missed the playoffs giving them a much needed long rest in an off season that is just as short as the last one. So we really have something great here by having not made the playoffs.

Comment

• Extremely early for this, but i see these (in no particular order) making the playoffs: Bucks, Nets, Philly, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Hawks

The last spot will be a toss up between Raptors, NY, Washigton, Charlotte and Indy

Detroit, Cleveland and Orlando will tanking

Comment

• I think we are undervaluing our team. So the Nets and the Bucks definitely have better rosters... health always plays a factor in all of these rankings. I think we are on par with the rest. If Pascal only misses a few games, I think we will be anywhere from 4-6.

Philly has questions regarding Simmons, I think Embiid is overrated as a cornerstone and leader
                      Miami - May be the most overrated team right now. We'll see how Kyle, Jimmy, Bam big three works with the rest of the pieces.
                      Celtics - they're worse than the 2019 -2020 Celtics team
                      Indy - they have the ability to take a jump with a healthy LeVert and better coaching...no drama
                      Atlanta - I like our roster better than theirs... although they do have good depth
                      New York - they're okay

Last year was a shit show for us, we jumped up to 4th after a horrible start, and then Covid hit. Masai believes OG is going to take another jump (I think he has seen enough offseason workouts to make an educated guess), Pascal is bound to play better than he did the last couple covid years, I expect FVV to come ready to lead the team, IMO we are going to be shocked at what GTJ brings after an off-season and a training camp. We have a much better bench this year and centres. I also think Masai, Bobby and Nurse have a vision of how this team will play and it's built accordingly. Since the championship we have just been piecemealing things together. This roster is the vision built around D and catching teams off guard on the offensive end. Whoever rebounds the ball will be pushing the ball and not letting teams get in a set D. It's going to be a fun brand of basketball.

Comment

• i cant stop thinking of how good this team would be with myles turner. Our perimeter d with him anchoring would be off the charts good

but this team i think will have a new energy and be competitive. Fred needs to shoot well from deep. I think masai will make a good mid season adjustment and we’ll avoid play-in and get 6th.

“Optimists have more fun”

Comment

• Screw the pessimistic takes. We're easily a playoff team, not a play-in team. We were really good without Lowry last year, and we greatly upgraded the rest of the roster. The center rotation is infinitely better and the bench is way better. Full season of Trent and Birch in the starting lineup will make a big difference, and the quality not falling off a cliff when we bring in bench guys will make a huge positive difference also. I think we're a 50 win team.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He is? I would not assume that.
                            Yeah, 100% for sure he is the backup PG. The only other option would be Dragic who is gonna be the backup SG and may not even be on the team for the full season. Did you watch the Masai presser? He says the team is all about developing our young guys, he's not gonna stifle the development of Flynn to give Dragic 35+ minutes a night.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

I anticipate them to be around .500 this year (~41-41). In the East that's probably playoffs, but if they're in that "play-in tournament zone" I'd rather they pull back again for another high pick and come in stronger the year after. Their vision is 2-3 years from now, this should be an adjustment year (first year without Lowry, lots of new faces etc)), so I'm okay with that.
                              I think they make it as well...but its not going to be easy.

Good Things about the Raps: Defense, Coaching, Speed , Spacing, at least league average or better 3 point shooting.
                              Not so Good things about the Raps. Rebounding, Half Court Offense

The best guess power rankings as of right now.

Tier 1. The Big Dogs. Nets Bucks
                              Tier 2..Yeah but.. Prove It. . Philly Miami
                              Tier 3...They're Here Now. but still need something. Atlanta Boston Knicks
                              Tier 4...Trying to get to Tier 3. Raps Bulls, Charlotte ,Indy, Whiz
                              Tier 5.. Selling Hope and the Future for another year .. Cavs, Pistons, Magic

Can the Raps beat out one of the Tier 4 guys to get in YES

or do one of the Knicks, Hawks and Celtics shit the bed.... YES
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Bulls are going to be good this year unfortunately. Some questions on defence there for sure, but they got no shortage of guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop in bunches. They will start:

Lonzo Ball
                                Lavine (20ppg All-star caliber)
                                Derozan 20ppg, All-star caliber)
                                Patrick Williams (4th overall pick in 2020, shooting 39% from 3 on rookie year)
                                Vucevic (also 20ppg, all-star caliber)

Then off the bench Markkanen and Coby White, both 15ppg guys, no one shorter than 6'5" out of their main 7 man rotation

Indy will be a tough out too with the Turner/Sabonis/Brogdon trio. They also got Brissett who may have been just a flash in the pan last year, but it's 6'7" good passer and quick, that shot 42% from 3 last year. Ironically he would be an absolute perfect fit with what we're trying to do this year

Hawks, Celtics, Heat and Knicks won't be cupcakes either. Washignton and Charlotte are always messy though, so we should be able to stay ahead of them (and Cavs Pistons and Magic will probably be flat out tanking bright and early).

Comment

Working...
                                X