'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

I think he is just setting some realistic expectations, we are a very young team with a new leadership dynamic. That said I think we're comfortably above .500 at seasons end.
    Hard to say. Nets. Bucks, Heat and Sixers (as currently constructed with Simmons playing) are the top tiers of the East.

Raptors are below sharing spot with Hawks, Knicks, Celtics, Pacers and Hornets.

That's 10 teams all together.

It will be a dog fight in the East for a top 8 playoffs spot (barring any major injuries to any of the teams mentioned).

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Hard to say. Nets. Bucks, Heat and Sixers (as currently constructed with Simmons playing) are the top tiers of the East.

It will be a dog fight in the East for a top 8 playoffs spot (barring any major injuries to any of the teams mentioned).
      You forgot the Bulls, they'll be in the mix too. The only duds in the east are the Cavs, Pistons, Magic and maybe the Wizards. Everyone else has a shot at the playoffs. It will be a dogfight all-around, it's not a given the Raptors make it.

Comment

• If we are firmly in the mix for a playoff off spot or being in the play-in they’ll go for it. A winning culture is important for young teams. Last year was the optimal year to “tank” based on all the circumstances we faced.

The FO will find good players in the 22-15 range, they have a proven track record.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

You know I feel this way at the beginning of every season too and it always turns out several of those teams are pretenders and we're comfortably in the playoffs. I'm only truly confident the Nets and Bucks will be better than us, every other team is suspect until they prove otherwise.

Comment

• How many spots are open and how many players are competing for it? Yuta I think is pretty much a lock to make the team. I,m not really a big Yuta guy but whatever. The two guys that I really want on the team are Dekker and Wainright.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
              How many spots are open and how many players are competing for it? Yuta I think is pretty much a lock to make the team. I,m not really a big Yuta guy but whatever. The two guys that I really want on the team are Dekker and Wainright.
              3 spots, competing for them are Yuta, Ish, Dekker, Gillespie, Bonga. Gillespie likely cut because his salary would be higher than the others and gives us some cap issues. So pretty good chance the guys you want make the team.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

3 spots, competing for them are Yuta, Ish, Dekker, Gillespie, Bonga. Gillespie likely cut because his salary would be higher than the others and gives us some cap issues. So pretty good chance the guys you want make the team.
                Dan H seems to think that based on our cap space, whether Gillespie is cut or not, we are probably going to stick to 14 guys and not 15 guys on the team (excluding the 2 two way players of course). For sure 14 if Gillespie some how stays. I don’t know how right he is about that because I’m not good with cap space stuff
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post

Dan H seems to think that based on our cap space, whether Gillespie is cut or not, we are probably going to stick to 14 guys and not 15 guys on the team (excluding the 2 two way players of course). For sure 14 if Gillespie some how stays. I don’t know how right he is about that because I’m not good with cap space stuff
                  If I remember correctly Dan said it was going to be 14 if it was based on the cap. I agree with him but there are other ways to cut space because cap is calculated at the end of the season. Boucher in my opinion gets traded at some point. Ish can make it and we an still duck under the cap if we want because his guarantee starts next year.. Yuta makes it. That brings you up to 14. So I guess its possible they take 15 and cut back to 14. We will see.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                    How many spots are open and how many players are competing for it? Yuta I think is pretty much a lock to make the team. I,m not really a big Yuta guy but whatever. The two guys that I really want on the team are Dekker and Wainright.
                    Yuta's interesting. In some ways he's got all the tools and the size and athleticism, there's a lot there for a guy who hasn't gotten much run yet and none of the glaring holes you've usually got with guys in his position. I'm not sure he's enough of a killer to tap into his full potential in game situations with consistency? Just needs to bring it.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Yuta's interesting. In some ways he's got all the tools and the size and athleticism, there's a lot there for a guy who hasn't gotten much run yet and none of the glaring holes you've usually got with guys in his position. I'm not sure he's enough of a killer to tap into his full potential in game situations with consistency? Just needs to bring it.
                      yeah i like yuta alot

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

yeah i like yuta alot
                        Breakout Year?

Comment

• So ESPN has us under 500 this year.
                          35 wins.
                          In with the bottom third of the east....

Bullshit and hit the over hard
                          or
                          Are we over estimating something
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Sep 20, 2021, 10:27 AM.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                            So ESPN has us under 500 this year.
                            35 wins.

or
                            Hit the over hard. The odds are made primarily for the USA market who probably can't name a single Raptor now that Lowry is on Miami. The bookies are gonna make a killing on all the dummies picking the under.

An even better bet is Raptors to make the playoffs. My site has it at +250, I'm sure you could find that better elsewhere. Easy money in my opinion.
                            Last edited by Primer; Mon Sep 20, 2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              So ESPN has us under 500 this year.
                              35 wins.

or
                              I mean this year is less certain than past years with the team going younger and further away from some of the core guys who had an established, winning track record. And the Raptors missed the playoffs last year, so the pessimistic view from a distance is something I can understand.

Mostly two things: playing the year on the road and the nature of the COVID interruptions to this team last year were huge and don't seem well noted outside of Toronto, and I trust this team's management. I think the pieces they bring in are generally guys who help a team win. I think the newer and younger guys will help the team win.

But it is still a transition period, they aren't cruising along in a We The North era that was demonstrably a second or third round team year after year. This is a big reset. A lot of uncertainty.

Personally I'd hit the over hard, though. Even an underwhelming year for this team, I'd have them winning in the low 40's. If everything comes together, I'd have them in the mid to high 40's. Finishing with wins in the 30's is another disaster of a year, like last year, and could happen but certainly isn't what's being planned for. I guess they'd get another lottery pick.

I mean if you're winning in the 30's in multiple seasons you're either incompetent or full on rebuilding. That's what I'd expect if they had unloaded Siakam and Fred for picks, prospects, and young guys. They're trying to maintain a level of competitiveness while restocking the roster, I'm sure internally they're planning on being in the playoffs.
                              Last edited by S.R.; Mon Sep 20, 2021, 11:42 AM.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I mean this year is less certain than past years with the team going younger and further away from some of the core guys who had an established, winning track record. And the Raptors missed the playoffs last year, so the pessimistic view from a distance is something I can understand.

Mostly two things: playing the year on the road and the nature of the COVID interruptions to this team last year were huge and don't seem well noted outside of Toronto, and I trust this team's management. I think the pieces they bring in are generally guys who help a team win. I think the newer and younger guys will help the team win.

But it is still a transition period, they aren't cruising along in a We The North era that was demonstrably a second or third round team year after year. This is a big reset. A lot of uncertainty.

Personally I'd hit the over hard, though. Even an underwhelming year for this team, I'd have them winning in the low 40's. If everything comes together, I'd have them in the mid to high 40's. Finishing with wins in the 30's is another disaster of a year, like last year, and could happen but certainly isn't what's being planned for. I guess they'd get another lottery pick.

I mean if you're winning in the 30's in multiple seasons you're either incompetent or full on rebuilding. That's what I'd expect if they had unloaded Siakam and Fred for picks, prospects, and young guys. They're trying to maintain a level of competitiveness while restocking the roster, I'm sure internally they're planning on being in the playoffs.
                                Yep. We're losing a guy, Lowry, who was historically the main driver of wins and an advanced stats superstar. There's yet another advanced stat (DPM or DARKO Plus/Minus, lol), which appears to be the new advanced stat de jour. DPM ranks Lowry as the top Raptor from last year's team in terms of projected impact this year. And he's a tier above Siakam/FVV/OG.

In terms of projecting wins, we are really in uncharted territory this year.

https://apanalytics.shinyapps.io/DARKO/

DanH what say you about DARKO?

Comment

Working...
                                X