'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

i think it might have been vivek ranadive and his vision of "basketball 3.0" when the kings proudly touted their transition to positionless basketball in the summer of 2014.

'course they fucked that all up by proceeding to select cauley-stein, papagiannis, giles, and bagley in consecutive drafts 'cause the kangz are gonna kang, but if you only read the media blitz in 2014 you might've thought they were on to something
    The Warriors championship teams started it and proved it works. Definitely not the shit kings.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The Warriors championship teams started it and proved it works. Definitely not the shit kings.
      i know that's where it actually started on the court, and specifically not until kerr got there and started playing draymond i) in general, over kevin love and ii) at the 5 in the death lineup, but the kings were definitely talking the hell out of positionless basketball the summer before kerr took over the warriors

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i know that's where it actually started on the court, and specifically not until kerr got there and started playing draymond i) in general, over kevin love and ii) at the 5 in the death lineup, but the kings were definitely talking the hell out of positionless basketball the summer before kerr took over the warriors
        Lebron/Bosh/Wade/Battier vs. OKC was kind of an earlier glimpse of positionless-ness; especially incorporating Lebron as the big ballhandler / PG.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Lebron/Bosh/Wade/Battier vs. OKC was kind of an earlier glimpse of positionless-ness; especially incorporating Lebron as the big ballhandler / PG.
          yeah that's definitely true, although i think bosh was still considered by many to be more of a traditional big at the time based on his time in toronto, despite being much more perimeter oriented in miami.

but the kings are the team i'd point to in terms of the concept really entering the collective basketball-following consciousness as they very loudly and publicly embraced it in the media that summer, even though they proceeded to fail spectacularly in the execution.

Comment

• When everyone's healthy, here's the starting lineup i'd like to see:

Precious
            Siakam
            Barnes
            OG
            FVV

OG playing the 2 shouldn't be a problem, he played a lot of 2 last year.

Dragon to me is not a good fit playing with FVV. He struggled the last 2 games playing off the ball. I think he only took 1 shot last night? he was very ineffective. I'd like to see him lead the 2nd unit along with Trent. He's probably going to start the season as the starting 2 though because of the Siakam injury.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• "Positionless basketball" is also a logical outcome of the overall skill development in basketball in general. You can have genuine triple threats at all five positions now, why not do this? Teams used to have a PG initiate all the offence because they literally had one guy whose handle and passing were reliable enough to trust with those duties. I grew up as a big in basketball where coaches would literally scream at & bench bigs for putting the ball on the floor anywhere outside of the post, or for putting up shots outside of 15 feet. And they did that for good reason - a lot of bigs couldn't dribble or shoot. Your little guy did that.

Not the case any more, and I half joke but a bunch of our talk about positions 1-5 is increasingly meaningless. It doesn't matter. You need size & athleticism match ups on defence, but on offence you can do whatever tf you want to do based on the skill sets of the five guys you have on the floor.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                When everyone's healthy, here's the starting lineup i'd like to see:

Precious
                Siakam
                Barnes
                OG
                FVV

Dragon to me is not a good fit playing with FVV. He struggled the last 2 games playing off the ball. I think he only took 1 shot last night? he was very ineffective. I'd like to see him lead the 2nd unit along with Trent. He's probably going to start the season as the starting 2 though because of the Siakam injury.
                I like this. And then our bench to me should be either:

Dragic (when he gets traded then Malachi)
                Gary
                Svi or Yuta
                Boucher
                Khem or Precious (But for your example Khem)

OR (I would really like it to be):

Dragic
                Svi
                Yuta
                Boucher
                Khem or Precious

And only because I’m not loving Gary right now but yea they would never do this after paying him this offseason.

With the injuries I would go:

Fred
                Gary (b/c for some reason he plays better starting and I feel he needs to play alongside better players or he does too much)
                OG
                Scottie
                Precious or Khem (But I feel for me Khem because Gary is already tunnel vision so playing Precious who is also tunnel vision in the same lineup is a lot. Khem showed last season he can actually make plays out of the PnR).

Bench:

Dragic
                Svi
                Yuta
                Champagnie
                Precious or Khem

You could also do:

Malachi
                Dragic
                Svi
                Yuta
                Precious or Khem
                Last edited by GLF; Fri Oct 8, 2021, 02:06 PM.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                  When everyone's healthy, here's the starting lineup i'd like to see:

Precious
                  Siakam
                  Barnes
                  OG
                  FVV

Totally agree. What is likely going to happen is that we will build a starting lineup that maximizes FVV's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses as key priority - think 6MOTY Bench Mob year.

FVV => FVV
                  Delon => Scottie
                  CJ Miles => OG
                  Siakam => Siakam
                  Jakob => Precious

Also doesn't make sense to rely too much on Dragic, if he's going to be gone by the trade deadline.

Comment

Totally agree. What is likely going to happen is that we will build a starting lineup that maximizes FVV's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses as key priority - think 6MOTY Bench Mob year.

FVV => FVV
                    Delon => Scottie
                    CJ Miles => OG
                    Siakam => Siakam
                    Jakob => Precious

Also doesn't make sense to rely too much on Dragic, if he's going to be gone by the trade deadline.
                    None of those players are anything like the guy beside them though, except FVV => FVV and Siakam => Siakam.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

None of those players are anything like the guy beside them though, except FVV => FVV and Siakam => Siakam.
                      I know… they’re all better. That’s why that’s a good choice for a starting lineup that will help cover FVV’s weaknesses. I mean even FVV and Siakam are a lot better. We’re talking about chemistry here.

Comment

FVV => FVV
                        Delon => Scottie
                        CJ Miles => OG
                        Siakam => Siakam
                        Jakob => Precious

Why do you think they will try to maximize FVV's strength's and minimize his weaknesses, specifically? They're not building the team around FVV. This team more than most has has quite a bit of equality at the top between Siakam, FVV, OG (this season) and soon Barnes. If there is one guy they try to maximize it's Siakam because he's thought of as the best player.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Why do you think they will try to maximize FVV's strength's and minimize his weaknesses, specifically? They're not building the team around FVV. This team more than most has has quite a bit of equality at the top between Siakam, FVV, OG (this season) and soon Barnes. If there is one guy they try to maximize it's Siakam because he's thought of as the best player.
                          Because the organization loves Fred's leadership qualities & intangibles. He's been groomed as the logical successor to Lowry for a long time now. Siakam was rumored to be on the trade block and I think they were listening to offers.

Comment

• I said it in another thread but it should be here, there is a changing of the guard.

barnes and pascal are the future, I don’t care what anyone says I will die on my hill OG style wise is not a fit if he is trying to expand his role.

nick nurse is going to give him opportunities but if I were Bobby / Masai I am looking to move him. The Lakers were really good at this, nick van exel, Eddie Jones were still in their prime and got moved to make way for Derek fisher and Kobe Bryant.

lakers were “less talented “ but were a better team

OG and Fred are talented boarder line defensive team all star players but my eyes don’t see a fit style wise.

I would rather get banton, Barnes,Yuta, pascal out there together and grow then watch our vets lead us into a lottery pick.

we have the assets to go get a Myles turner or (insert rim protector). And yes I am saying this after 2 preseason games cause I already know how Fred and OG play

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              I said it in another thread but it should be here, there is a changing of the guard.

barnes and pascal are the future, I don’t care what anyone says I will die on my hill OG style wise is not a fit if he is trying to expand his role.

nick nurse is going to give him opportunities but if I were Bobby / Masai I am looking to move him. The Lakers were really good at this, nick van exel, Eddie Jones were still in their prime and got moved to make way for Derek fisher and Kobe Bryant.

lakers were “less talented “ but were a better team

OG and Fred are talented boarder line defensive team all star players but my eyes don’t see a fit style wise.

I would rather get banton, Barnes,Yuta, pascal out there together and grow then watch our vets lead us into a lottery pick.

we have the assets to go get a Myles turner or (insert rim protector). And yes I am saying this after 2 preseason games cause I already know how Fred and OG play
                              Man relax. It's 2 preseason games lol.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Because the organization loves Fred's leadership qualities & intangibles. He's been groomed as the logical successor to Lowry for a long time now. Siakam was rumored to be on the trade block and I think they were listening to offers.
                                I think you might be reaching on this one. They aren't building around FVV as the one centre piece of this roster and Raps listen to trade offers for all their players. Nobody is untouchable.

Replacing Lowry as the point guard doesn't make FVV the face of the franchise any more than Poeltl replacing Duncan on the Spurs makes him the centre piece of that franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X