X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

Yuta's interesting. In some ways he's got all the tools and the size and athleticism, there's a lot there for a guy who hasn't gotten much run yet and none of the glaring holes you've usually got with guys in his position. I'm not sure he's enough of a killer to tap into his full potential in game situations with consistency? Just needs to bring it.
    yeah i like yuta alot

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    How many spots are open and how many players are competing for it? Yuta I think is pretty much a lock to make the team. I,m not really a big Yuta guy but whatever. The two guys that I really want on the team are Dekker and Wainright.
    Yuta's interesting. In some ways he's got all the tools and the size and athleticism, there's a lot there for a guy who hasn't gotten much run yet and none of the glaring holes you've usually got with guys in his position. I'm not sure he's enough of a killer to tap into his full potential in game situations with consistency? Just needs to bring it.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    GLF wrote: View Post

Dan H seems to think that based on our cap space, whether Gillespie is cut or not, we are probably going to stick to 14 guys and not 15 guys on the team (excluding the 2 two way players of course). For sure 14 if Gillespie some how stays. I don’t know how right he is about that because I’m not good with cap space stuff
    If I remember correctly Dan said it was going to be 14 if it was based on the cap. I agree with him but there are other ways to cut space because cap is calculated at the end of the season. Boucher in my opinion gets traded at some point. Ish can make it and we an still duck under the cap if we want because his guarantee starts next year.. Yuta makes it. That brings you up to 14. So I guess its possible they take 15 and cut back to 14. We will see.

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

3 spots, competing for them are Yuta, Ish, Dekker, Gillespie, Bonga. Gillespie likely cut because his salary would be higher than the others and gives us some cap issues. So pretty good chance the guys you want make the team.
    Dan H seems to think that based on our cap space, whether Gillespie is cut or not, we are probably going to stick to 14 guys and not 15 guys on the team (excluding the 2 two way players of course). For sure 14 if Gillespie some how stays. I don’t know how right he is about that because I’m not good with cap space stuff

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    How many spots are open and how many players are competing for it? Yuta I think is pretty much a lock to make the team. I,m not really a big Yuta guy but whatever. The two guys that I really want on the team are Dekker and Wainright.
    3 spots, competing for them are Yuta, Ish, Dekker, Gillespie, Bonga. Gillespie likely cut because his salary would be higher than the others and gives us some cap issues. So pretty good chance the guys you want make the team.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Hotshot wrote: View Post

Hard to say. Nets. Bucks, Heat and Sixers (as currently constructed with Simmons playing) are the top tiers of the East.

Raptors are below sharing spot with Hawks, Knicks, Celtics, Pacers and Hornets.

That's 10 teams all together.

It will be a dog fight in the East for a top 8 playoffs spot (barring any major injuries to any of the teams mentioned).
    You know I feel this way at the beginning of every season too and it always turns out several of those teams are pretenders and we're comfortably in the playoffs. I'm only truly confident the Nets and Bucks will be better than us, every other team is suspect until they prove otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    If we are firmly in the mix for a playoff off spot or being in the play-in they’ll go for it. A winning culture is important for young teams. Last year was the optimal year to “tank” based on all the circumstances we faced.

The FO will find good players in the 22-15 range, they have a proven track record.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    Hotshot wrote: View Post

Hard to say. Nets. Bucks, Heat and Sixers (as currently constructed with Simmons playing) are the top tiers of the East.

It will be a dog fight in the East for a top 8 playoffs spot (barring any major injuries to any of the teams mentioned).
    You forgot the Bulls, they'll be in the mix too. The only duds in the east are the Cavs, Pistons, Magic and maybe the Wizards. Everyone else has a shot at the playoffs. It will be a dogfight all-around, it's not a given the Raptors make it.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

I think he is just setting some realistic expectations, we are a very young team with a new leadership dynamic. That said I think we're comfortably above .500 at seasons end.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yep. This team is going to hover around .500 this year. The main decision on the tail end of the season is if we tank again or if we try to push it on the play-in tournement to see if we can start getting some playoff experience to these guys
    Whether we draft around 10 or 15 is a pretty marginal difference. I'd put money on Nurse pushing for every win he can get after playing ball with his W-L last season.

43 wins is about what I'd guess. With a ceiling of 49 and a floor of 38.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yep. This team is going to hover around .500 this year. The main decision on the tail end of the season is if we tank again or if we try to push it on the play-in tournement to see if we can start getting some playoff experience to these guys
    I think he is just setting some realistic expectations, we are a very young team with a new leadership dynamic. That said I think we're comfortably above .500 at seasons end.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    I decided to take a look at the individuals that will likely be part of the roster for the Raptors this season and who have some NBA stats listed.

Flynn and Achluwa only have numbers for last year. Birch had a more constrained role with Orlando than he did with the Raptors after coming over, but it is what it is. I didn't go back more than 2 years except for Birch's FT% which had a big variance. We know Pascal had a down year with a major impact on almost all his numbers. Fred's were typically down as well.

There has been a lot of chatter about the lack of good 3 pt shooting. I see 5 guys shooting 37% or better. Several players I would expect to improve this season, most notably Flynn Birch and Siakim. Siakim managed 36.9 and 35.9 with his threes before last season where he only hit 29.7.
    The free throw shooting for the whole team is mostly excellent.

Some of the guys who weren't in the NBA last year are going to get minutes and at least a few of them look to be ready to contribute. In particular with rebounds and assists.

With the 3 pt shooting on this team, and the opportunity for excellent D on the perimeter and under the basket and in the paint, I think it will be an exciting season.
    (Assuming some COVID variant doesn't screw the team over again)

Note: I actually had all of the players and their stats from the last two years averaged out and in a table but the format was completely screwed up when I hit the "Reply" Button. I'm not going to compile the info again. Just take my word for it.
    Last edited by Puffer; Sun Sep 5, 2021, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X