​​​​Game 59 Toronto Raptors vs Brooklyn Nets - 7:00 PM EST Apr 21/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    That was a fun game, one of the very few this season where the team looked like themselves.
    I really thought they looked good in the transition game - not sure how many counted as 'fast break points' but they definitely got some good looks off of pushing the ball and making plays before the defense got set. Those secondary break points (or whatever one wants to call them) have been missing a lot this year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I saw some Nets players (like Irving) looking gassed. Blake didn't even play in the final quarter I don't think.. and he was their 2nd or 3rd best player.. simply because it was a back to back for them.

But yeah, their defense is terrible (tied for 5 worst in the league with Houston). Harden is their MVP though (not KD). He won't be back until the playoffs most likely.. so that probably means if we get into the playoffs we'll be playing Embiid and the 76ers again, not the Nets.
      Superteams never give a fuck about the regular season, but the nets take it to a new level. These 3 guys have played together on different teams, summers, usa..the 3 of them will start dominating as soon as they turn it on.
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I saw some Nets players (like Irving) looking gassed. Blake didn't even play in the final quarter I don't think.. and he was their 2nd or 3rd best player.. simply because it was a back to back for them.

But yeah, their defense is terrible (tied for 5 worst in the league with Houston). Harden is their MVP though (not KD). He won't be back until the playoffs most likely.. so that probably means if we get into the playoffs we'll be playing Embiid and the 76ers again, not the Nets.
        Yeah, we can beat the Sixers, because they don't have a legit closer, whereas the Nets have 3 (wtf). It will be interesting to see if we are still in Embiid's head. All he's really known his whole career vs. Toronto is losing and Simmons tends to disappear at times in the playoffs.

Comment

• had a bit of a feeling of the time we beat the Nuggets when they were on the second half of a back to back. The next game against the Knicks should be fun. Then a blah Cavs game before a rematch with the Nets. Then the Western gauntlet (Nuggets/Jazz/Lakers/Clippers). Let's reconvene then

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Superteams never give a fuck about the regular season, but the nets take it to a new level. These 3 guys have played together on different teams, summers, usa..the 3 of them will start dominating as soon as they turn it on.
            Maybe, but that's what the Clippers thought last year until they couldn't guard Murray and ran out of gas in second halves. Also what the Heat thought until Dallas neutralized them.

Bear in mind, none of these 'super teams' have won more than 2 titles. And the only one that did it in the first season was GSW but they were already champions and well established.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, we can beat the Sixers, because they don't have a legit closer, whereas the Nets have 3 (wtf). It will be interesting to see if we are still in Embiid's head. All he's really known his whole career vs. Toronto is losing and Simmons tends to disappear at times in the playoffs.
              Philly can't seem to beat Toronto or Boston. And with the Bucks it's Toronto and Miami I guess now.

Both teams have playoff demons.

A Toronto/Philly and Miami/Milwaukee series in the first round is very possible (if the Nets stumble into the 3rd seed without KD/Harden around).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Maybe, but that's what the Clippers thought last year until they couldn't guard Murray and ran out of gas in second halves. Also what the Heat thought until Dallas neutralized them.

Bear in mind, none of these 'super teams' have won more than 2 titles. And the only one that did it in the first season was GSW but they were already champions and well established.
                Came to say the same. The Nets are loaded at the top end and maybe that massive amount of talent just compensates for a bunch of other weaknesses that would be an issue for other teams, I don't know, but the Clippers were super cocky last year, did not put in the reps as a team, and eventually in the playoffs you end up facing the other best teams in the league in a 7 game series and the lack of experience, reps, and chemistry a slapped together team like that has can come back to bite them. I do wonder about that dynamic with the Nets, and also their health issues. I don't have a lot of confidence that all their top guys stay healthy for a 2 month long playoff run after what we've seen from them this year. Then there's also the absence of defence.

I'd still have them as favourites at this point because Durant/Kyrie/Harden is just a ton of basketball talent, but those are the three weak spots.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Came to say the same. The Nets are loaded at the top end and maybe that massive amount of talent just compensates for a bunch of other weaknesses that would be an issue for other teams, I don't know, but the Clippers were super cocky last year, did not put in the reps as a team, and eventually in the playoffs you end up facing the other best teams in the league in a 7 game series and the lack of experience, reps, and chemistry a slapped together team like that has can come back to bite them. I do wonder about that dynamic with the Nets, and also their health issues. I don't have a lot of confidence that all their top guys stay healthy for a 2 month long playoff run after what we've seen from them this year. Then there's also the absence of defence.

I'd still have them as favourites at this point because Durant/Kyrie/Harden is just a ton of basketball talent, but those are the three weak spots.
                  Durant hasn't played regularly since the first week of February. Harden hasn't played in 3 weeks. I mean, as you say, maybe they can just turn it on for two months and play 40 MPG over 20-odd games on their way to a title but there are a lot of warning signs.

Comment

• Ya, regardless of the raptors being in the playoffs, I put the odds of a healthy nets team making it through the playoffs at about 20%.

Comment

• In regards to the Nets and their "three closers": Durant is definitely a closer, Harden is mostly one, I think (can hit big shots but is potentially suspect on defence), and Kyrie is not particularly close to proving himself on that score. Durant and Harden have both been out for weeks with injuries, and don't have a lot of time to recover and reach peak performance between now and the playoffs. If Durant and Harden aren't healthy when the playoffs begin, the Nets are vulnerable to an upset against their round one match-up, especially if they're playing against a strong defensive team (if Durant and Harden aren't at 100%, it makes it much easier to scheme against them because you have more and better options to cover them 1 on 1), or if they're playing a particularly physical team.

Not only that, even assuming the Nets make it out of the first round, they'll likely have to make it through two of Philly, Miami, and Milwaukee; Philly and Miami are physical and can defend well, while Milwaukee is built to score and has the potential to out-defend the Nets more effectively than the Nets can outscore them.

(It's also not a sure thing that the Nets will be able to make things work with three scorers (compare their big three to Lillard/McCollum/Powell) but there is a fairly decent probability that Durant remembers enough from GSW to be less of a dynamic scorer and more of the proverbial straw that stirs the drink.)

Comment

• You guys can keep convincing yourselves about brooklyn but I think the only thing standing in their way is health.

the comparisons to the clippers dont hold weight for me, cause I dont consider the clippers a super team. My definition of a super team needs 2 all nba/mvp/undisputed top 10 guys, and at least 1 other all star. Heatles, and the warriors were super teams. As are the nets. The clippers have kawhi the MVP guy, but George is no all world star, hes just a perennial all star, a good support guy. And after that, the depth and role players is severely lacking.
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          You guys can keep convincing yourselves about brooklyn but I think the only thing standing in their way is health.

the comparisons to the clippers dont hold weight for me, cause I dont consider the clippers a super team. My definition of a super team needs 2 all nba/mvp/undisputed top 10 guys, and at least 1 other all star. Heatles, and the warriors were super teams. As are the nets. The clippers have kawhi the MVP guy, but George is no all world star, hes just a perennial all star, a good support guy. And after that, the depth and role players is severely lacking.
                          I don't really care one way or another but the health caveat isn't some theoretical risk facing all teams - the big three haven't played together in over 2 months. Perhaps it's a trivial problem and they just turn it on for 20+ games and roll to the Finals but the Nets are likely to see some combination of the Heat, Celtics, Bucks, Sixers, which is a pretty tough road and all those teams are playoff hardened groups that have the personnel to guard multiple stars (not to mention really good coaches like Spoelstra and Stevens).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't really care one way or another but the health caveat isn't some theoretical risk facing all teams - the big three haven't played together in over 2 months. Perhaps it's a trivial problem and they just turn it on for 20+ games and roll to the Finals but the Nets are likely to see some combination of the Heat, Celtics, Bucks, Sixers, which is a pretty tough road and all those teams are playoff hardened groups that have the personnel to guard multiple stars (not to mention really good coaches like Spoelstra and Stevens).
                            But I wonder how much of the injury time is just stealth load management to be fresher for the playoffs. I won't be surprised if all three of those guys are in the lineup with 5-10 games left in the regular season. That said, even with KD/Harden/Kyrie in the lineup, that team plays no defense.... so that's the real achilles heel. If you have a few decent scorers on your team, you're never out of a game when you play the Nets.

Comment

Working...
                            X