Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything 22021-22 Free Agency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Everything 22021-22 Free Agency

    I am not a capologist.

    But its probably good to know just how much money we have to spend in Free Agency and welcome any insights into this dark and murky world. .

    As of now I believe we have 103$M tied up with players under contract. Assuming we thank Aaron Baynes($7.5) and Rodney Hood ($10.1) and perhaps DeAndre Bembry ($2.0) for their service our number drops to approx 82.5 M$

    For that $82.5 we have Pascal ($33), Freddy ($19.6), OG ($16), Boucher ($7), Flynn ($2),
    Yuta, Paul Watson and Gillespie are all about ($1.7) for a total of $5.1
    Boucher is interesting as this assumes we guarantee his deal for $7M. We could play chicken and open up another 7M in space by letting him walk and then trying to get him back on a longer term guaranteed deal but at less cost per year.

    In the bullpen on Cap Holds that we can sign later and go over the cap using bird rights are Gary Trent Jr.(RFA) and Jalen Harris.
    We have to pony up real available cap money for any of Kyle (UFA) and Khem Birch (UFA) and Shamorie Ponds.

    Have to believe we also thank Stanley Johnson and Shamorie Ponds for their services as well.

    Which leaves us about 20M$ (or less if the cap holds on Trent and Harris count towards next years cap) to fit in Khem and Kyle with available cap space.

    We also get about 10M for the MLE and $3.5 to spend on filler.


    So Cap Questions ..

    1. Does the cap holds on Trent and Harris (about $5 for Trent and $1.5 for Harris) count towards the now projected 82.5 million cap for players under contract ?
    2. Can we use some of the MLE for Birch .. not a question if this is smart or not.. .its a can we do that ?
    3. If we sign Kyle to a deal and eat up all the cap space can we take back more salary in a theoretical sign and trade for Kyle than what we signed him for ?
    4. If we have to match an RFA offer for Trent Jr can we go over the cap using Bird rights ?
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun May 9, 2021, 10:06 PM.
    I don't normally like a tank. But when I do I prefer a #TampaTank.

  • #2
    Whatever we do, my vote is to NOT save cap space. We're not a free agent destination. Tried the save-cap-space song and dance for Giannis and air-balled it wide. Let's sign our current players and get back to our strengths, which is balancing and improving the roster through trades, draft and development.
    2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

    Comment


    • #3
      inthepaint wrote: View Post
      Whatever we do, my vote is to NOT save cap space. We're not a free agent destination. Tried the save-cap-space song and dance for Giannis and air-balled it wide. Let's sign our current players and get back to our strengths, which is balancing and improving the roster through trades, draft and development.
      Probably not going to save cap space...
      Trying to get a handle on how much or little of it the Raps might have ..
      To me it looks to be between 14 and 20 M$ if we don't have an "understanding" with Kyle and he is on his way out.

      Available Targets for an Upgrade at C or to back up Khem depending on how you feel and whats left to spend.

      UFAs .. Andre Drumond, The perenially available Nerlens Noel, Daniel Theis , Harry Giles , Georgui Deng
      RFA's.. The perpetually injured Zach Collins and Rashaun Holmes and Laurie Markkanen
      Potential UFA's on Club Options Mitchel Robinson and Willy Cauley-Stein

      Available Targets for Depth on the WIng again depending on whats left to spend

      UFA.. Maurice Harkless... Otto Porter Jr...Nick Batum.. Evan Fournier
      RFA... Lonzo Ball...Josh Hart... Bruce Brown .. Duncan Robinson
      I don't normally like a tank. But when I do I prefer a #TampaTank.

      Comment


      • #4
        Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

        Probably not going to save cap space...
        Trying to get a handle on how much or little of it the Raps might have ..
        To me it looks to be between 14 and 20 M$ if we don't have an "understanding" with Kyle and he is on his way out.

        Available Targets for an Upgrade at C or to back up Khem depending on how you feel and whats left to spend.

        UFAs .. Andre Drumond, The perenially available Nerlens Noel, Daniel Theis , Harry Giles , Georgui Deng
        RFA's.. The perpetually injured Zach Collins and Rashaun Holmes and Laurie Markkanen
        Potential UFA's on Club Options Mitchel Robinson and Willy Cauley-Stein

        Available Targets for Depth on the WIng again depending on whats left to spend

        UFA.. Maurice Harkless... Otto Porter Jr...Nick Batum.. Evan Fournier
        RFA... Lonzo Ball...Josh Hart... Bruce Brown .. Duncan Robinson
        Yeah the main thing determining if we'll have cap space or not is Lowry. I hope they try to sign him so they can later get the chance to move him for a prospect and/or pick from a contender he wants to go to. That way the team is on the driver seat, rather than letting him walk and go fishing in the dark for a free agent.

        If he walks though, I'd throw the money at Markkenen and let the bulls scramble to match it.
        2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

        Comment


        • #5
          Will the NBA even be around in 22021?

          The only free agent I like in this class is Holmes, but I think I'm overrating him. Just looking at it closely, there aren't really great movers or shakers. Maybe DeMar but he's a been there done that. Bottom line really is if Lowry comes back as a Raptor we have no cap space. Even if he takes a paltry $15M/year. It's a Lowry vs cap space off season. And that cap space can shrink depending on what contracts we get back in any S&T.

          If Lowry is back we have our mid-level.. which is about $9.5M. We also get our bi-annual which is about $4M.

          If Lowry does not come back then the cap space we get depends on a few things. Trent Jr's cap hold is a big one. It's at $4.7M. With that amount we have about $18M to spend in free agency. But that can be negotiated down to $1.7M if we/he decides to be a UFA by withdrawing his qualifying offer. That could mean we can lose Trent to another team, but not be able to match the contract. If we are good with him and his camp, that can come in handy. So we can get about $21M if this happens.

          Boucher is likely back, but if not, that's another $7M on top of the $21M.

          Birch is also a UFA, so we would have to use cap space or an exception to bring him back. We have his bird rights, but his cap hold is $5.7M and I think he should make less than that. But if Lowry is back we can use his bird rights to bring him back. If Lowry leaves, we can renounce his cap hold, and try to use the room mid level to bring him back instead of cap space.

          My ideal list of free agents to target would probably be:

          1. Lowry - I hope we can bring him back. Our team is just better with him on it, and I don't really like the free agent class too much.
          2. Holmes - but only if Lowry walks
          3. Schroeder - I think he'll be more expensive. Like $18M a year expensive, but could really help if Lowry walks.
          4. Fournier - some scoring depth off the bench. But again only if Lowry walks
          5. Noel - for the mid level I guess. But I don't think he's a real possibility
          6. Kanter, Lopez, Biyombo, Davis. Some decent center that can bang with JV/Embiid types who come off the bench for a mid-level type of deal.
          7. Bruce Brown (RFA). I really like the kid, and he's a really good utility player for the Nets. Might be hard to snatch him since Brooklyn can match.

          Comment


          • #6
            Actually sorry we don't have Birch's bird rights. He was bought out. So we would have to use an exception (or cap space) to bring him back.

            Comment


            • #7
              Birch will likely be back. Raptors have a team option on Baynes, I don't see him coming back.

              Comment


              • #8
                planetmars wrote: View Post
                Will the NBA even be around in 22021?

                The only free agent I like in this class is Holmes, but I think I'm overrating him. Just looking at it closely, there aren't really great movers or shakers. Maybe DeMar but he's a been there done that. Bottom line really is if Lowry comes back as a Raptor we have no cap space. Even if he takes a paltry $15M/year. It's a Lowry vs cap space off season. And that cap space can shrink depending on what contracts we get back in any S&T.

                If Lowry is back we have our mid-level.. which is about $9.5M. We also get our bi-annual which is about $4M.

                If Lowry does not come back then the cap space we get depends on a few things. Trent Jr's cap hold is a big one. It's at $4.7M. With that amount we have about $18M to spend in free agency. But that can be negotiated down to $1.7M if we/he decides to be a UFA by withdrawing his qualifying offer. That could mean we can lose Trent to another team, but not be able to match the contract. If we are good with him and his camp, that can come in handy. So we can get about $21M if this happens.

                Boucher is likely back, but if not, that's another $7M on top of the $21M.

                Birch is also a UFA, so we would have to use cap space or an exception to bring him back. We have his bird rights, but his cap hold is $5.7M and I think he should make less than that. But if Lowry is back we can use his bird rights to bring him back. If Lowry leaves, we can renounce his cap hold, and try to use the room mid level to bring him back instead of cap space.

                My ideal list of free agents to target would probably be:

                1. Lowry - I hope we can bring him back. Our team is just better with him on it, and I don't really like the free agent class too much.
                2. Holmes - but only if Lowry walks
                3. Schroeder - I think he'll be more expensive. Like $18M a year expensive, but could really help if Lowry walks.
                4. Fournier - some scoring depth off the bench. But again only if Lowry walks
                5. Noel - for the mid level I guess. But I don't think he's a real possibility
                6. Kanter, Lopez, Biyombo, Davis. Some decent center that can bang with JV/Embiid types who come off the bench for a mid-level type of deal.
                7. Bruce Brown (RFA). I really like the kid, and he's a really good utility player for the Nets. Might be hard to snatch him since Brooklyn can match.
                dinwiddie?

                Comment


                • #9
                  The 2021 UFA class is garbage. It went from one of the most prominent ones in years to an utterly dry desert in a very short period of time, as all the main players on it re-upped with their respective teams, as expected.

                  The RFA pool is a bit better but there never seems to be meaningful player movement on that market. The ones that are good are usually blue chip prospects the current team promptly match offers to keep, and the ones that move are fringe players with no impact. I may be off here and glaringly missing something, but does anyone know of an impactful RFA signing in recent years? I can't think of any.

                  Best move here is to sign all our guys (other than Baynes, Bembry and Stanley). Then move Lowry for a pick or two (even if comes with just bad salary filler). To me that would be a lot more useful than the cap space he would generate, considering our record in free agency and the dryness of this class.
                  2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

                    dinwiddie?
                    He has a player option of 12M next year, to play on a top contending team (Nets). As a point guard shooting 31% from 3, an ACL injury and not playing this year, do you pass on that to try to see what you can get in the open market? It think it'd be ballsy if he did. I'd take the 12M, rehab on a winning team, maybe get some good playoff exposure next year, then hit free agency the year after.
                    2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I love Lowry but it makes no fucking sense to bring him back unless we're trading FVV, and even then it's a super short term play as Lowry doesn't fit age wise with the rest of the roster and he will start to decline soon, perhaps precipitously.

                      Do you guys seriously want to play midget basketball again, force Trent to come off the bench, give Flynn zero playing time, and just expect adding Birch at C to turn this year's team into a contender during Lowry's few remaining productive years?

                      If we move FVV for a package that makes us contenders next season then sure, but if not we need a S&T or to use our cap space on pieces that fit better moving forward.

                      Assuming a resigned Lowry will somehow have increased trade value vs what his value was this season or a S&T this off-season is just nonsense in my opinion.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Primer wrote: View Post
                        I love Lowry but it makes no fucking sense to bring him back unless we're trading FVV, and even then it's a super short term play as Lowry doesn't fit age wise with the rest of the roster and he will start to decline soon, perhaps precipitously.

                        Do you guys seriously want to play midget basketball again, force Trent to come off the bench, give Flynn zero playing time, and just expect adding Birch at C to turn this year's team into a contender during Lowry's few remaining productive years?

                        If we move FVV for a package that makes us contenders next season then sure, but if not we need a S&T or to use our cap space on pieces that fit better moving forward.

                        Assuming a resigned Lowry will somehow have increased trade value vs what his value was this season or a S&T this off-season is just nonsense in my opinion.
                        The two PG look works just fine, even great, so yes. Trent coming off the bench? Probably where he is best used, like Norm, in theory, so long as he doesn't end up the sort to HAVE to start, like Norm... Flynn zero playing time? Why the heck would that be the case? He should have gotten 20 a night all season this year with FVV and Lowry playing, and has shown enough to get that next year for sure. Adding Birch at C made a big difference. Certainly "make the playoffs, maybe home court" sort of difference when they get home court back and don't have COVID.

                        If there's a home run SnT option for Lowry, sure. If there's a star to sign with our cap space, sure. I doubt either is the case (though the SnT one is possible). And yes, Lowry could well have more trade value if he's on a lower cap hit contract after re-signing (he's not getting 30M again...) and now that the Raps have shown they'll call your bluff.

                        The cap room option is there for if Lowry decides to walk to a team with cap room. Re-signing him is likely plan A, sign and trade plan B, and cap room plan C. Masai and Bobby have done a good job to have multiple viable options in place, make no mistake, but Lowry remains the highest impact player available to the Raps this summer.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I find it hard picturing Lowry not on this team. Will we have the same drive and heart? I would ike to see him back to help this young core learn the right way to play. But there may be some roster backlog, and Gary Trent Jr. was happy to come here because he was finally part of the plan going forward... will he be okay coming off the bench? Plus we have to work a rookie (most likely a wing) into the mix. Flynn looks like deserves more time. We are week at the big spots with only Pascal, Boucher and Birch. We will have to upgrade there as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The only way I see for Lowry to come back is to explicitly make him a player-coach (which would have some prestige, considering he'd be the first one in the league in over forty years) and have a handshake deal that he'll take less salary now in exchange for more coaching salary when he retires as a player. Like, he takes $15m per year for the next two years with the understanding that the extra $20m over two years he might command elsewhere would be made up to him when he's a full-time coach with the Raptors, and there's no cap considerations for him to worry about. He's basically been doing this already for a couple of years, so it would just be formalizing an arrangement that works for everybody, and next season he'll almost certainly be the oldest player on the roster by a wide margin (seven years older than Chris Boucher, the next oldest player on the team). Were Kyle to do that and accept $15m as his new "official" salary, we'd have about seven to eight million to play with below the cap (after holds) and then the MLE to sign Khem Birch back.

                            All of that said, the latest word is that several teams are going to offer Duncan Robinson a max offer sheet almost immediately once the new season begins, and if he accepts said offer sheet Miami has to immediately match it and then boom, the cap space they had to sign Lowry outright is gone even if they renounce their cap holds on (deep breath) Goran Dragic, Andre Iguodala, Victor Oladipo, Trevor Ariza, and Nemanja Bjelica. (Which they should.) There won't be any sign-and-trades possible for Miami that don't involve both Tyler Herro and Precious Achiuwa just to make the money work - which means either Lowry takes a pay cut to play in Miami or Miami spends 3/4 of their cap space on Butler, Kyle and Bam and lets Duncan Robinson walk and just tries to sign a bunch of ring-chasing vets. I think Miami's chances of signing Kyle have shrunk significantly now.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Other than that arrangement is likely highly illegal .... it's why Ballmer can't (officially) be paying Kawhi $1M a year but hire him to pitch Windows for $35M

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X