Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything 22021-22 Free Agency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

    I don't understand why people think we are letting trent go or that we some how wont retain the man...
    I guess if some other team offers him 30M

    Comment


    • #62
      TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

      I think trent starts next year more than likely unless lowry is back.. but if we draft any rookie he is starting with Lowry gone.. BUT I could see the rookie surpassing him by year's end.
      The entire context of the statement was that acquiring Trent doesn't mean we should assume Lowry isn't back, since it makes perfect sense to have traded for Trent even if it was for him to come off the bench.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • #63
        JawsGT wrote: View Post
        If we dont retain trent, the i really have no idea what we are trying to do.
        They will of course keep Trent unless he gets a silly offer sheet from somebody. Where the line is for silly is a little unclear but probably something near 20M they walk away.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • #64
          DanH wrote: View Post

          They will of course keep Trent unless he gets a silly offer sheet from somebody. Where the line is for silly is a little unclear but probably something near 20M they walk away.
          Agreed but optically, they didn't trade for GT Jr to anything out of him for this year. Letting him walk would be a waste of time and effort and might have well just let Norm walk, which also wouldn't have gone over well (yet another chip winner walking for nothing).

          It says here they they sign GT Jr unless it's a significant over pay. They hope it's 15-18 and not 20+

          Comment


          • #65
            G__Deane wrote: View Post

            Agreed but optically, they didn't trade for GT Jr to anything out of him for this year. Letting him walk would be a waste of time and effort and might have well just let Norm walk, which also wouldn't have gone over well (yet another chip winner walking for nothing).

            It says here they they sign GT Jr unless it's a significant over pay. They hope it's 15-18 and not 20+
            Right but it's also nothing really lost if they would have let Norm walk (and they probably would have). At least this way they get to evaluate the market, maybe finagle a SnT out of him, etc. There are options and if the worst case is ending up with the same nothing they would have had otherwise, that's a pretty low risk move. But I really don't think Trent's market is going to be that strong this summer.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

            Comment


            • #66
              I believe only 8 teams have a projected cap space of about $14M or more this season. One of those is Toronto. And free agency looks really meh this year. Kawhi could change teams again but I don't think anyone thinks that will happen.

              $13M seems about right for Trent. I'd offer him a $40/3 contract and sees if he goes for it.

              Comment


              • #67
                DanH wrote: View Post

                Right but it's also nothing really lost if they would have let Norm walk (and they probably would have). At least this way they get to evaluate the market, maybe finagle a SnT out of him, etc. There are options and if the worst case is ending up with the same nothing they would have had otherwise, that's a pretty low risk move. But I really don't think Trent's market is going to be that strong this summer.
                exactly when he first got here he was on a bit of a hotstreak but then it died down and he became more inconsistent... so I don't think he will be getting the same type of deal that people thing he will.. people think he will get a norm deal where its 20 million or above (where people seem to feel the Powell market is). I would argue that 14-16 per year is more than fair for Gary. It could risk being a bit of an overpay but it could also turn into a smart Powell esque contract.

                Comment


                • #68
                  TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

                  exactly when he first got here he was on a bit of a hotstreak but then it died down and he became more inconsistent... so I don't think he will be getting the same type of deal that people thing he will.. people think he will get a norm deal where its 20 million or above (where people seem to feel the Powell market is). I would argue that 14-16 per year is more than fair for Gary. It could risk being a bit of an overpay but it could also turn into a smart Powell esque contract.
                  I don't know if he cooled off as much as the Raps iced him. Lots of inconsistency in the line ups, random rest days etc. Not sure what this means for his contract but if he returns next season with this team, and they're playing out of Toronto, I expect big tings from Trent.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    LJ2 wrote: View Post

                    I don't know if he cooled off as much as the Raps iced him. Lots of inconsistency in the line ups, random rest days etc. Not sure what this means for his contract but if he returns next season with this team, and they're playing out of Toronto, I expect big tings from Trent.
                    We started to see some limitations in his game, particularly shot creation and streaky shooting. He's a bit stiff and mechanical with his dribble.

                    Seems more of a hot/cold shooter than a scorer right now, but when his shot is on, he looks like a potential star.... the type of guy who could win you a playoff game or 2 by himself.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      golden wrote: View Post

                      We started to see some limitations in his game, particularly shot creation and streaky shooting. He's a bit stiff and mechanical with his dribble.

                      Seems more of a hot/cold shooter than a scorer right now, but when his shot is on, he looks like a potential star.... the type of guy who could win you a playoff game or 2 by himself.
                      He's Terrence Ross 2.0.
                      Mamba Mentality

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        golden wrote: View Post

                        We started to see some limitations in his game, particularly shot creation and streaky shooting. He's a bit stiff and mechanical with his dribble.

                        Seems more of a hot/cold shooter than a scorer right now, but when his shot is on, he looks like a potential star.... the type of guy who could win you a playoff game or 2 by himself.
                        Was never expecting him to be a shot creator so if he develops that part of his game then it's a bonus. He just seems like a catch and shoot guy right now, but I expect he will be a more consistent shooter once he gets accustomed to his role and guys he's playing with. If all goes really well his floor will be prim-ish Danny Green with a ceiling of a lesser Klay.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I believe only 8 teams have a projected cap space of about $14M or more this season. One of those is Toronto. And free agency looks really meh this year. Kawhi could change teams again but I don't think anyone thinks that will happen.

                          $13M seems about right for Trent. I'd offer him a $40/3 contract and sees if he goes for it.
                          Hard to find a good comp for Trent but maybe Dillon Brooks? Second round pick in 2017 as opposed to 2018 but similar youngish 2-guard with holes in his game who nevertheless plays a lot and is fairly productive (though streaky and/or inconsistent in game). He got ~$11-12 million. So something in the $13 million range probably isn't far off. By the way, I like Trent better than Brooks who plays very selfishly at times and is mistake-prone but I still think the comparison is valid.

                          Plus, there are quite a few shooting guards available in free agency this season, so hard to see a team throwing a lot a RFA from another team.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            golden wrote: View Post

                            We started to see some limitations in his game, particularly shot creation and streaky shooting. He's a bit stiff and mechanical with his dribble.

                            Seems more of a hot/cold shooter than a scorer right now, but when his shot is on, he looks like a potential star.... the type of guy who could win you a playoff game or 2 by himself.
                            On the Raptors he has been streaky. On the Blazers he was a 40% 3PT shooter.

                            I don't blame him much, Raptors have been all over the place since the trade deadline, resting guys, throwing out different starting lineups, guys getting hurt, that along with Trent still getting familiar with the Raptors, it wasn't good for him. Trent also isn't much of a ball handler, so him being a starting lineup without Fred or Kyle will show his limitations.

                            He is only 22 though, a full off-season, playing in front of the home crowd in Toronto and a lineup he can play with more consistently, he'll be fine.

                            Comment


                            • #74

                              Among all of the big men that Sam Hinkie's Process generated, Richaun Holmes might be the player whom executives around the league favor most behind Joel Embiid.

                              Holmes emerged as a true starting center in Sacramento this season, averaging career highs in points (14.2), rebounds (8.3) and blocks (1.6). And in a market that has recently rewarded low-usage, rim-rolling centers who protect the basket on the other end, Holmes could find himself netting a deal worth upward of $80 million over four years, according to league personnel polled by Bleacher Report.

                              "He's super athletic obviously, really good timing as a roller, does a lot of the little things," said one longtime personnel man. "He's pretty durable. He doesn't need the ball. He can play with really any type of team. He doesn't really stretch the floor, but teams are looking for that level of guy."

                              As the Kings build around their young backcourt of De'Aaron Fox and Tyrese Halliburton, the above description bills as the optimal pick-and-roll partner for that pair. But Charlotte and Dallas appear to be Holmes' most likely destinations if he were to land elsewhere.

                              "I think everyone's going to be chasing him," said one team analytics staffer.

                              The Hornets pursued Holmes before the trade deadline in a package that centered around swapping guard Malik Monk, sources said, although Charlotte's interest in Myles Turner and Montrezl Harrell also became widely known around the league. The Hornets also made a spirited effort to sign Andre Drummond on the buyout market, sources said, and the current Lakers center is set to reach the open market again this summer.

                              Dallas also seems keen to pursue frontcourt reinforcements this offseason. While the Mavericks did quietly gauge trade interest on Kristaps Porzingis before the trade deadline, they are more determined to find a center to pair with their All-Star big man, sources said. That big man could very well become Holmes, although the Mavericks are likely to pursue John Collins this summer as well.

                              The Thunder could have as much as $55 million in cap space in August, and you can bet agents around the league are hoping they're amenable to using that room. If OKC does look to lure someone, such as how former Thunder executive Troy Weaver splurged to pay Jerami Grant in Detroit last offseason, Holmes could be the perfect fit alongside Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
                              As the Mavericks surged into the No. 5 seed out in the West, Tim Hardaway Jr. quietly marched up the list of Sixth Man of the Year candidates. He likely won't take home the award, but he's finishing his second straight campaign above 39 percent shooting from deep—nearly 5 percentage points above likely 6MOY Jordan Clarkson—right in time for free agency.

                              "He's one of the best pure scorers in the league," said the personnel evaluator. "He can just move the scoreboard when he gets into the game. I think Dallas is using him in the role that most high-level teams would want to use him, the way that Utah's weaponized Clarkson off the bench. He could start for a lot of teams, but because he's a high-usage guy, he's better off the bench."

                              Each front office seems to value bench scoring a bit differently. As Hardaway approaches his 30th birthday, he should have an opportunity to sign another lucrative contract fresh off his current four-year, $71 millon deal.

                              "I like him for what he is," said the cap expert. "It wouldn't shock me if he got up to 20."

                              After thriving alongside Luka Doncic, Hardaway might score that payday from the Mavericks. But if he does test the open market, keep an eye on the Heat, who have struggled to replace what Jae Crowder brought during their run to the 2020 NBA Finals. Victor Oladipo is no longer a candidate to land such a deal in the wake of his latest injury.
                              There may be no free agent whose summer is more dependent on the outcome of this postseason than Dennis Schroder.

                              Back in March, ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported Schroder had declined a four-year, $84 million extension offer from the Los Angeles Lakers earlier this season (h/t Dan Feldman of Pro Basketball Talk). The two sides' inability to strike a deal played a factor in the Lakers' pursuit of Lowry at the trade deadline, sources said.

                              Multiple league executives who have overlapped with Schroder told B/R they believe the ball-handler is looking to be paid like a top-tier point guard, and his role in Los Angeles may not satisfy his interest in being the leading playmaker for a marquee franchise.

                              "He sees himself as a big-market player, and obviously he wants to start," said the veteran personnel man.

                              New York could present that opportunity for Schroder, and the Knicks are indeed considering a run at him in free agency, sources said. They appear likely to re-sign Derrick Rose as head coach Tom Thibodeau's reliable reserve floor general, but perhaps Schroder can be the answer for their' hole in their opening lineup on a deal worth north of $90 million.
                              Spencer Dinwiddie was highly mentioned around the trade deadline for the same reason that he could play a key role in the offseason. Signing-and-trading Dinwiddie is one of the few remaining options that the Brooklyn Nets have to upgrade their pricey roster, and the long list of potential trade suitors back in March should forecast a similar group this August.

                              The Chicago Bulls, Detroit Pistons, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers and Orlando Magic all showed interest in Dinwiddie before the trade deadline, sources said. The sign-and-trade possibility will open up a few more doors beyond the teams that can easily clear cap room, too.

                              "I'm a big Dinwiddie fan," said the personnel veteran. "He can be a really good third guard off the bench. And someone's gonna get overpaid…"

                              Dinwiddie appears to be progressing well in his rehab from the ACL and MCL tears he suffered in his right knee. While entering free agency off a serious injury is never ideal, this summer's complicated marketplace may carve an opening for him to reach an average annual value a above $15 million.
                              The Trail Blazers assuredly did not swap Gary Trent Jr. for Norman Powell at the trade deadline with the intention of letting Powell leave for nothing. But Portland continues to stare at an increasingly expensive luxury-tax bill, and Powell's first trip to the open market could push his salary number far higher than what the Blazers are comfortable paying.

                              "I think Norman Powell is gonna get 20-plus easily," said the personnel evaluator. "He's just a guy that can play with anybody. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. He's a good defender, he's a great athlete, he gets to the rim. You can play him at the 3, you can play him at the 2. He's a great character guy."

                              New York could pose the biggest threat to lure Powell away from the Pacific Northwest, as Thibodeau is considered a noted fan of the swingman. Even more so than Dinwiddie, a large list of suitors emerged for Powell ahead of the deadline, and he's two years younger than Hardaway. He also fits the mold for what Miami is currently missing on the perimeter.

                              League executives also mentioned Bruce Brown, Alex Caruso, Talen Horton-Tucker and Nerlens Noel as players who could be in for significant raises averaging above $12 million per season.
                              https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-huge-paydays
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                For C, how about Kelly Olynyk... good ole' Toronto boy? He's a free agent this off-season.

                                He put up 19/8.5/4 in 31 MPG as a starter for the Rockets. Still in his prime (30 years old). Totally a Nurse type of floor spacing guy. He's also become a "plus defender" the last couple of years. Also a great passer.

                                The cherry on top: Olynyk always seems to have his biggest moments in the playoffs.

                                Richaun Holmes really doesn't seem like a guy who would fit Nurse's system, which is built around FVV's drive & kick to perimeter shooters game.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X