Everything Playoffs-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post

It will require baby steps for Simmons, I doubt he will ever become a shooter. He should work on his free throws first, get his confidence up, get his aggressiveness up, have him be a scorer that way. Hack-a-Simmons really got to him in these Playoffs.

It doesn't help that he isn't a fit at all beside Embiid, who is used as a high/low post player. Perhaps small ball is the best for Simmons. Pascal at C, Simmons at PF, OG at SF, surround him with players who can shoot and are constantly moving. Raptors are already a heavy fast break team and that is something Simmons excels at.
    Simmons for McCollum makes a lot of sense for both sides, I think. Would love to see it as a Lillard fan, but hate to see it as a 6ers rival.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I'm staying as FAR away as possible from Simmons. I've been saying this since his second year: his inability (and unwillingness ) to shoot is completely unsustainable in the nba. If this is a rookie/sophomore you give a pass, but this is a 4th year player making 30M+ that's supposed to be leading the team, and not be passing up open shots in 4th quarters. His smugness about the whole thing doesn't help either.

If this is who he is as a player, he's a massive liability to any team, let alone a team like the Raptors who's in desperate need of a Simmons polar opposite : an aggressive, pure scorer, offence-first player that can create his own shot through contact in the paint, midrange and 3. Simmons don't have a 3 or midrange, and avoids contact at the paint/drive late in games like the plague because he doesn't trust his free throws (as he shouldn't). It would compound our problems exponentially. Have we learned nothing from offence black holes like McCaw, RHJ, Stanley and post-wash Gasol? This archetype forces your team to play 4-on-5 and drags down other players individual offence as well as they get less space to operate.

There's no nba offence that can survive that in the playoffs. I don't care how good you are defensively. What I think Simmons would benefit from is a humbling stretch on a non-playoff team. Basically the Lonzo Ball route. Get away from the hype/limelight for a bit, accept that being a top 3 pick doesn't mean diddly-squat if you're a floor shrinker, start quietly working on your shot in Orlando or Minessota under less pressure, and a team will pick you up. If you're too proud for that, then you'll unfortunately be squeezed out of the league.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
        I'm staying as FAR away as possible from Simmons. I've been saying this since his second year: his inability (and unwillingness ) to shoot is completely unsustainable in the nba. If this is a rookie/sophomore you give a pass, but this is a 4th year player making 30M+ that's supposed to be leading the team, and not be passing up open shots in 4th quarters. His smugness about the whole thing doesn't help either.

If this is who he is as a player, he's a massive liability to any team, let alone a team like the Raptors who's in desperate need of a Simmons polar opposite : an aggressive, pure scorer, offence-first player that can create his own shot through contact in the paint, midrange and 3. Simmons don't have a 3 or midrange, and avoids contact at the paint/drive late in games like the plague because he doesn't trust his free throws (as he shouldn't). It would compound our problems exponentially. Have we learned nothing from offence black holes like McCaw, RHJ, Stanley and post-wash Gasol? This archetype forces your team to play 4-on-5 and drags down other players individual offence as well as they get less space to operate.

There's no nba offence that can survive that in the playoffs. I don't care how good you are defensively. What I think Simmons would benefit from is a humbling stretch on a non-playoff team. Basically the Lonzo Ball route. Get away from the hype/limelight for a bit, accept that being a top 3 pick doesn't mean diddly-squat if you're a floor shrinker, start quietly working on your shot in Orlando or Minessota under less pressure, and a team will pick you up. If you're too proud for that, then you'll unfortunately be squeezed out of the league.
        I understand where you are coming from, but comparing simmonds with RHJ and McCaw is not a good comparison. For starters if RHJ was 6'10 or 6'11, he will be a decent center in this league (similar to Holmes). McCaw issue is that he was playing as a spot out shooter/ occasional slasher but mainly was standing in the corner, so teams played off of him. If the raps got Simmonds, he will be the point center on offence (Pascal (PF), OG (SF), Fred (PG). Trent (SG) ) I think might work. Im only ok with this if Lowry is not resigning and using him to get an asset back (can flip simmonds for other assets).

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

You know I agree with you about drafting a scoring winger or an offense type player right? The Hawks are not a team I want to model my team after though. They're not really a contending team. 1. they beat a non-playoff team in the first round. 2. in the 2nd round they beat a team who's best player was playing with one leg and their second best player was Steph Curry's brother. They're gonna get exposed in the next round by the Bucks. Bogdanovic, Gallo Lou etc...all these guys are gonna get exposed defensively.

To me the perfect team is the Suns. They have the most complete roster in the NBA. They have an elite scoring winger(most important position in basketball), they have a great PG(second most important position in basketball) and they have a bunch of 3D guys(3rd most important position in basketball). Having a great big like Ayton is a bonus. You don't need a great big to win in this league though.

The Raps have a great PG. They have one 3D guy(OG), they need a lot more than one. The big piece that they're missing is that scoring winger.
          Yeah, you gotta love the Suns roster construction. A rim protecting center who rebounds and is a legit lob threat. A mamba mentality tall shooting guard. A plethora of big switchable 3 & D wings. CP3 still playing at a HoF PG level to top it all off. Also have the NBA's best hype man... Cameron Payne.

Comment

• nba_4_life wrote: View Post

I understand where you are coming from, but comparing simmonds with RHJ and McCaw is not a good comparison. For starters if RHJ was 6'10 or 6'11, he will be a decent center in this league (similar to Holmes). McCaw issue is that he was playing as a spot out shooter/ occasional slasher but mainly was standing in the corner, so teams played off of him. If the raps got Simmonds, he will be the point center on offence (Pascal (PF), OG (SF), Fred (PG). Trent (SG) ) I think might work. Im only ok with this if Lowry is not resigning and using him to get an asset back (can flip simmonds for other assets).
            Simmons McCaw and RHJ are very different players of course. They all bring something, be it rebounding, hustle, defence, speed, ball handling etc.. Simmons, to his credit, is a much better defender than all of them. Ultimately though, they have one thing in common: they shrink the floor. Significantly. At very simplistic level, there are 4 offence tiers in the nba:
            1. Players that you need to send double and/or varied and mutifaceted coverage, otherwise they'll cook you
            2. Players that you need solid single coverage every possession
            3. Players that you don't need a ton of attention on defence, but you don't want them wide open either
            4. Players you can safely ignore on the perimeter and focus on packing the paint, making it difficult for everyone else on the offence. McCaw, Simmons and RHJ are all on that category.

I think Simmons can still have a very good future in the league, but he has to shoot, including free throws. It's too important of a skill in today's game.
            Last edited by inthepaint; Mon Jun 21, 2021, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Everybody's real down on Simmons, huh? I have full faith the Raps could fix him.

That said, if Masai can swing it so extra value is coming our way in a Lowry SnT rather than going their way, no complaints here! If the rest of the league is as down on Simmons as you guys, Raps could make out like bandits.
              Send Simmons down to the G-League and make him shoot 3's for a whole season with his right hand. Who's Masai, btw?

Comment

• Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                  ouch

Comment

• Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      Now we just need to eliminate Kawhi. If we can somehow avoid lebron, kawhi, or kd winning a championship, in the SAME year as Tampa tank? I can go to the offseason a happy man.

Go Suns, I'd like to see cp3 get it, I dont mind Booker, and I like that suns in 4 fan who beat up that nuggets punk with the bowl cut.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The Hawks,fresh off their crushing and powdering of the hopes and dreams of the Hinkies and perhaps ending an era Philly suit up tonite against the Alphabet and company in Milwaukee. I picked the Hawks to take the Hinkies in 7 or less off of the entirely non analytical idea that the Hinkies are mentally soft and were the latest iteration of ESPN fueled east coast hype. Throw in the leagues most media savvy but X's and O's and in game adjustment deficient coach in Glenn Rivers and it was a good guess.

I think the Bucks take this one in 6 or less.

Milwaukee with Holiday and Tucker to back up the Alphabet and Middleton won't wilt like Philly did. You have to beat them where the Hinkies beat themselves.
                        Surprisingly Trae Young does most of his damage in the paint as he either gets the floater to go, gets fouled or kicks it out for a good look at 3 for Bogdonovich or Huerter. That plays into what Buds defense is predicated on. Pack the paint and try to beat us from the perimeter with contested if we can get there 3's. Collins and Capela will have their hands full inside with Milwaukees size. Bogdonavich is nicked up. Young as good as he is won't be able to beat the Bucks by himself. But mostly the Bucks are mentally tougher than either of the Knicks or Hinkies and will move on to the NBA finals against the Suns.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                          The Hawks,fresh off their crushing and powdering of the hopes and dreams of the Hinkies and perhaps ending an era Philly suit up tonite against the Alphabet and company in Milwaukee. I picked the Hawks to take the Hinkies in 7 or less off of the entirely non analytical idea that the Hinkies are mentally soft and were the latest iteration of ESPN fueled east coast hype. Throw in the leagues most media savvy but X's and O's and in game adjustment deficient coach in Glenn Rivers and it was a good guess.

I think the Bucks take this one in 6 or less.

Milwaukee with Holiday and Tucker to back up the Alphabet and Middleton won't wilt like Philly did. You have to beat them where the Hinkies beat themselves.
                          Surprisingly Trae Young does most of his damage in the paint as he either gets the floater to go, gets fouled or kicks it out for a good look at 3 for Bogdonovich or Huerter. That plays into what Buds defense is predicated on. Pack the paint and try to beat us from the perimeter with contested if we can get there 3's. Collins and Capela will have their hands full inside with Milwaukees size. Bogdonavich is nicked up. Young as good as he is won't be able to beat the Bucks by himself. But mostly the Bucks are mentally tougher than either of the Knicks or Hinkies and will move on to the NBA finals against the Suns.
                          Every point guard should have a reliable floater. The other option Young uses often is the lob pass to Capela on the PnR for the automatic flush. It's such a great weapon. It really effs up the defense, because they can't touch the ball near the rim, or it's a goal-tend. That's how you optimize an athletic, non-shooting center who can finish above the rim..... like Birch.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Every point guard should have a reliable floater. The other option Young uses often is the lob pass to Capela on the PnR for the automatic flush. It's such a great weapon. It really effs up the defense, because they can't touch the ball near the rim, or it's a goal-tend. That's how you optimize an athletic, non-shooting center who can finish above the rim..... like Birch.
                            I always smile when you somehow and subtly throw a shade to the Raptors Draft face.

But he is a Shooting Guard, lmao

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Or like Simmons if he was used as the starting C in the dunk spot with a certain pass first wide assed PG who still has something left in the tank. .

It will change how Nurse wants to play in Toronto with the C having to make 3's but it fixes our total reliance on the boom or bust 3 ball game.

The draft goes tonight and maybe we get into the top 4. If we do options start to open up.
                              If Suggs or the kid from Baylor is the choice as the succession plan to Lowry you could entertain the S&T with Philly for Simmons. You might be buying low if you think playing him at the 5 would make you better than you project to be without him. He will be out of the crucible that is Philly. His confidence is shot. Maybe we send him on vacation with Marner and Mathews to compare notes as therapy.
                              Simmons ability to pass the ball in tight might help both OG and Pascal who can slash in on a line or catch and shoot. FVV will be the smallest combo SG/PG out there but he can make 3s and so can Trent. Suggs won't be Lowry for a couple years but it'd be a new look on offence and to me an improved switchable defense that will cause panic in the East.

I think Philly has to move him.. but they won't move him for peanuts. .

I don't think Lowry on his own is enough. We would have to send back a prospect (Flynn .. probably more ) and an unprotected FRP once the situation cools down and Simmons value rises again.

Or we just pass on Simmons and see what happens in the draft ..
                              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jun 22, 2021, 01:21 PM.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

I don't think Lowry on his own is enough. We would have to send back a prospect (Flynn .. probably more ) and an unprotected FRP once the situation cools down and Simmons value rises again.

Or we just pass on Simmons and see what happens in the draft ..
                                This might be the case. I originally suggested a future 1st (though Masai would definitely get lotto protection on it). But if the price is higher than that, I seriously doubt the Raps play ball. Heck, if Masai is more aligned with others here (and he may be) the Raptors might draw the line at Lowry and additional salary to make it work (depending on Lowry's salary of course).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X