• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He said he wants another championship
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think it depends on the draft among many other things, but I agree with your assessment that it's essentially a complete unknown, total coin toss.
      I don't think he will hold this year against management outside of not getting a center. I think there was an understanding that if things went well Giannis or Gobert was in play.... and then of course the wonkiness of the year happened.
      Lowry, will prioritize his family and winning. I think if the money is right, he would stay. I also think he will try to do right by the Raptors for paying him twice in the past by helping facilitate a sign and trade. It will also be to help himself out too. At the end of the day championships and money matter. If he can get both he will do what he can to do that. Even if he comes back I don't see us winning with him for another two years at least depending on who is on the roster. I am not big on suggested trades like getting Jimmy Butler or anything like that because then we are getting older and closing the window. Lowry is a special player but I do not think that is worth it.

Kloe going to Miami is a possibility as is Philly. Miami will want to keep iggy and Dragic, and have to pay Robinson... Robinson isn't an issue from a free agency standpoint BUT it is an issue from a cap standpoint moving forward. Who knows what happens with Oladipo, but lets say he is retained... but for cheap. It wont be for the minimum. Likely the MLE level for a year or something like that (he made a mistake letting go of that money. My rant's point is that Miami wont be able to pay him anything above 20 without giving SOMETHING up. It will likely be a future asset. I am not big on Nunn, I am also not really big on getting precious. I do like picks.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I know the Heat made the Finals last season, but if they lose in the first round this season, I wonder if it will make Lowry think harder about going there.
        If they had traded for Lowry they wouldn't be playing the Bucks in the first round and they'd be a much more formidable playoff team. Still closer to contending than the Raptors.

Everyone appears to be glossing over where Lowry wants stability for his kids. I think he's planning to retire and live wherever his next contract is. Miami makes way more sense than Toronto being he's not Canadian and wouldn't have any reason to live in Canada post playing career. Lowry seemed to love the year round golf while playing in Tampa. He and his wife are both from Philadelphia so Philly makes sense too. This is why I think all things equal he moves back to USA to play for someone other than the Raptors.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          He said he wants another championship
          Meh. They all say a lot of stuff during the FA process.

It's the standard Player Empowerment checklist:

- I want max salary (AAV & years) so I can feed by great-great-great grandchildren
          - I want to play for a championship contender
          - I want to play with my super-friends
          - I want to be close to my family
          - I want to play in a city with great weather
          - I want a place where I can get max endorsements
          - I want a private jet & golf course privileges
          - I want my load managed
          - Etc, etc, etc...

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Meh. They all say a lot of stuff during the FA process.

It's the standard Player Empowerment checklist:

- I want max salary (AAV & years) so I can feed by great-great-great grandchildren
            - I want to play for a championship contender
            - I want to play with my super-friends
            - I want to be close to my family
            - I want to play in a city with great weather
            - I want a place where I can get max endorsements
            - I want a private jet & golf course privileges
            - I want my load managed
            - Etc, etc, etc...

Ok but why would he go to Miami because of money when he can get that money from Raptors and be on a better team.

Comment

Ok but why would he go to Miami because of money when he can get that money from Raptors and be on a better team.
              Re: better team.... Kyle might think that Miami's alpha (Jimmy Butler), is better than the Raptors alpha (Pascal). What's your opinion on that?

The other obvious differences: Golfing, weather, no flying through customs.

Like Gilbert Arenas said, once you get to NBA diva level, the little things make a difference - like your family not having to travel "all the way up" to Canada to see you play. The other team is still Philly, but I suppose that needs to be a sign & trade.

Comment

Miami has the one trump card if Kyle cares about it as much as some media and places seem to allude to. Jimmy. They are really good friends, god parents of his kids, plus the best golf courses and area to play out his twilight years
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Re: better team.... Kyle might think that Miami's alpha (Jimmy Butler), is better than the Raptors alpha (Pascal). What's your opinion on that?

The other obvious differences: Golfing, weather, no flying through customs.

Like Gilbert Arenas said, once you get to NBA diva level, the little things make a difference - like your family not having to travel "all the way up" to Canada to see you play. The other team is still Philly, but I suppose that needs to be a sign & trade.
                  I mean Jimmy has been terrible. And this draft pick is about to change the whole trajectory of Raptors.

If he does leave I only see Sixers as most intelligent move for him.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Miami has the one trump card if Kyle cares about it as much as some media and places seem to allude to. Jimmy. They are really good friends, god parents of his kids, plus the best golf courses and area to play out his twilight years
                    I think they are sick of Florida by now if you listen to their exit interviews.

Comment

• When he talks about stability for his family, I think we under estimate that his kids have been in Toronto, they have friends there. I think the comment was leaning more to staying than splitting.

Not saying he stays, he's made it obvious that if the stars don't align he is gone. Though I think that comment was more stating that in Toronto, the stability, is that they know it. The kids would hang out the with same friends, they would still be in the same school (I would assume, with distant learning the kids stayed in the same school this past year). That will be more important this time as his kids are older with their own preferences.

Comment

• I don't think it's just diva level, those relatively minor details are how people in in-demand occupations make career choices all the time. With the presumption that you're happy with your job and choosing between decent employers, differences do come down to commute times, benefits packages, perks, etc.

It bothers fans to hear some FA decisions come down to similar factors for pro ball players, but gets a big meh from me. It's a business.

I'd give Lowry 60-70% chance of staying. I think like with his last FA, there isn't another team that offers him what he wants and it's actually the Raptors who value him the most and give him more of what he's looking for.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I'd give Lowry 60-70% chance of staying. I think like with his last FA, there isn't another team that offers him what he wants and it's actually the Raptors who value him the most and give him more of what he's looking for.
                          Should have a better sense of this once the first two rounds play out cause some good teams are going home but I agree that the Raptors value Lowry more than most teams and will likely be willing to do more for him than other front offices.

Comment

I think they are sick of Florida by now if you listen to their exit interviews.
                            Sick of it only because they didn't have home court, home fans or......homes lol
                            Anyone know whether Kyle or Fred's wives/kids were in FL all season with them?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Sick of it only because they didn't have home court, home fans or......homes lol
                              Anyone know whether Kyle or Fred's wives/kids were in FL all season with them?
                              I don't think anyone really cares.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Should have a better sense of this once the first two rounds play out cause some good teams are going home but I agree that the Raptors value Lowry more than most teams and will likely be willing to do more for him than other front offices.
                                Raptors always value (and pay) our own upper-end free agents higher than other teams....... probably because we can't poach them from other teams. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X