Everything Playoffs-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

The Gallo steal was also the final nail.

People around here need to re-evaluate the whole concept that you can't win with offense-first players. Trae Young, Collins, Gallo and Lou Will have been unanimously heralded as bottom-of-the-barrel of NBA defenders at various times in their career. Bogdonavich and Heurter aren't exactly perennial All-Defense candidates either. That's 6 out of 8 of their main rotation guys are non-defenders.

And yet, the Hawks seriously cranked up their defensive intensity for the last 4 games of the series and took out the #1 seed.... without their top wing defender (Hunter).

I really hope Nurse is watching the Hawks and taking notes. Sure, we'd all love to have a roster full of switchable 2-way defenders who can dribble, pass and shoot the 3. But you have to maximize the strengths of the players you're given and develop a defensive scheme that makes sense, and Nate McMillan has done that this year.
    Here you go again, the morning after lol.

You are giving Gallo and Lou Williams too much credit why Atlanta was able to squeak a win agains the Sixers. I am sure if the table is turned the other way, we won’t hear from you this constant barrage of “offense wins something in the playoffs” rhetoric. Atlanta won 2 series BUT have not won anything. Atlanta is still a piece away to win it all.

They will be facing an offense next series unlike what they had seen versus the Knicks and versus the Sixers. This is when you would see defense wins when it matters most. Gallo and Lou Williams would be an after thought after they face Giannis, Jrue and Middleton.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Morey is going whale hunting. My guess would be they will target Lillard but he may have had someone in mind as far back as the summer.

Circling back to the Lowry deal, I think the biggest reason Morey didn't do that trade was cause he wants to bring in a superstar.
      I totally agree, a little difficult however after Simmons yucky performance
      Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Mon Jun 21, 2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Simmons needs a 4 out offense like Giannis and the Bucks. When you refuse to shoot or suck at it.. the rest of the team has to make up for that big weakness. At least Giannis makes up for it by wanting to dunk the ball on every possession. Ben just becomes really passive.

I'm a big no in trading for Simmons. It's also why I don't want Scottie Barnes. He may not become as passive as Ben is, but he'll still be a liability.

Problem with making Ben the focal point of the offense is he isn't aggressive and from what I got from the Hawks series is he isn't aggressive because he is scared of going to the free throw line, only reason I can think of for why he passed up the open dunk.

Giannis on the other hand is as aggressive as it gets showcased by him dropping 40 in Game 7. He also isn't scared to shoot, takes and makes the occasional 3 and pull up jumpers.

I'd also rather not have Simmons, he isn't someone you can slot into any team and he will contribute, you have to create a team with his flaws in mind or else he just becomes a liability.

Comment

• In my opinion, Golden State is the best trading partner for the Sixers

Simmons
          Harris
          Thybulle or Maxey

for

Wiseman
          Draymond
          Wiggins

Comment

• Agree that if a lowry simmons trade were to happen sixer now would have to attach something on there end, be it one of the young guys or future picks.
            Realistically what is his value? I dont think teams are giving up any young players with skill, maybe if there was RFA would teams arn't high on I.E- Lonzo or Markaneen.
            Other then that you are looking at older guys who have a big salary. If im portland id take CJ over Simmions or shop C.J for someone else.
            Spurs SNT for Demar could work, Maybe Arron gordon from Nugs?
            But im not seeing many teams who are clamoring to get Ben now
            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
              Agree that if a lowry simmons trade were to happen sixer now would have to attach something on there end, be it one of the young guys or future picks.
              Realistically what is his value? I dont think teams are giving up any young players with skill, maybe if there was RFA would teams arn't high on I.E- Lonzo or Markaneen.
              Other then that you are looking at older guys who have a big salary. If im portland id take CJ over Simmions or shop C.J for someone else.
              Spurs SNT for Demar could work, Maybe Arron gordon from Nugs?
              But im not seeing many teams who are clamoring to get Ben now
              If the Warriors are interested, he is a nice young replacement to Draymond. Great defensive fundamentals, can run the point and set plays while the offense can remain in the back burner because of two elite shooters and shot makers who can hide his major flaw. Harris is a big they can utilize if Kerr likes to roll out his small ball line up which he always does. Thybulle or Maxey, either players are nice insurance back up to Steph when he is needing load management as he gets older.

Sixers will have Wiseman as the back up big to the knees of Embiid. Draymond will provide that leadership the Sixers are always lacking when it matters most and Wiggins is the spot shooter to add to Seth Curry.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Morey is going whale hunting. My guess would be they will target Lillard but he may have had someone in mind as far back as the summer.
                If there's a Blazers deal to be had, it's almost certainly for CJ, not Dame. It's possibly the only Simmons deal that makes sense at this point: Portland needs his defense and playmaking, and Philly needs CJ's shooting. And I still think, after these playoffs, Philly has to send out picks to make it happen.

Comment

• And the wake in Philly picks up steam.
                  Its scorched earth.
                  And its day 1.

​​​​​​​

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• A calm and measured response ....
                    Bahahhahaa

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Here you go again, the morning after lol.

You are giving Gallo and Lou Williams too much credit why Atlanta was able to squeak a win agains the Sixers. I am sure if the table is turned the other way, we won’t hear from you this constant barrage of “offense wins something in the playoffs” rhetoric. Atlanta won 2 series BUT have not won anything. Atlanta is still a piece away to win it all.

They will be facing an offense next series unlike what they had seen versus the Knicks and versus the Sixers. This is when you would see defense wins when it matters most. Gallo and Lou Williams would be an after thought after they face Giannis, Jrue and Middleton.
                      First of all, yes, you DO have to give the Hawks a sh!t-ton of credit for what they have already achieved. If the Raptors beat the Sixers and made the ECF, people on here would be crowing to kingdom come about how we massively exceeded all expectations.

The main point here is that people keep talking about defense-first, this & that, when it comes to roster construction (trade or draft targets). We can't have any weak links, we need 2-way players, FVV >> Lavine & Beal..... blah, blah, blah.

Well, the Hawks had 6 weak links on defense.... yet they were able to cobble together enough of a defensive strategy for 4 straight games to knock out the #1 seed. It seems like offense-first players CAN play defense, if they are motivated and are given the right scheme. Even against superior competition on the big stage - when it counts. I'm skeptical if that normally works the other way (i.e. defense-first players can elevate their offense in the playoffs).

We need to factor this into roster construction. I don't mind the odd Bembry, RHJ or Stanley Johnson; but we need to find a way to incorporate some scorers, who are not necessarily known as being great defenders, into our schemes.

Comment

• “ When the lights shines the brightest, some players just crumbled “

We hear you Philly fans, we endured that for 10 years with Derozan. Then bubble Siakam took the mantle vs. the Celtics

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                          “ When the lights shines the brightest, some players just crumbled “

We hear you Philly fans, we endured that for 10 years with Derozan. Then bubble Siakam took the mantle vs. the Celtics
                          I don't know if players really crumble in the playoffs... as much as their true talent/skill level/weaknesses get exposed ruthlessly & mercilessly.

With Raptors DeRozan, they defended without fouling, packed the paint and trapped, which exposed his lack of 3-ball and not yet developed playmaking. With bubble Siakam, they took away his easy transition buckets which exposed the shaky 3-ball as well as handles/craft. With bubble FVV, they baited him to score at the rim, which exposed his slow footspeed and lack of finishing ability. With Simmons, it's obviously his shooting, even at the FT line. smh.

Comment

First of all, yes, you DO have to give the Hawks a sh!t-ton of credit for what they have already achieved. If the Raptors beat the Sixers and made the ECF, people on here would be crowing to kingdom come about how we massively exceeded all expectations.

The main point here is that people keep talking about defense-first, this & that, when it comes to roster construction (trade or draft targets). We can't have any weak links, we need 2-way players, FVV >> Lavine & Beal..... blah, blah, blah.

Well, the Hawks had 6 weak links on defense.... yet they were able to cobble together enough of a defensive strategy for 4 straight games to knock out the #1 seed. It seems like offense-first players CAN play defense, if they are motivated and are given the right scheme. Even against superior competition on the big stage - when it counts. I'm skeptical if that normally works the other way (i.e. defense-first players can elevate their offense in the playoffs).

We need to factor this into roster construction. I don't mind the odd Bembry, RHJ or Stanley Johnson; but we need to find a way to incorporate some scorers, who are not necessarily known as being great defenders, into our schemes.
                            I agree with you to an extent. Many people thought Sixers would beat the Hawks, but here we are. Hawks don't have great defenders, but it helps they played a Sixers team where their supposed 2nd best player refused to score and can't hit free throws. Seth Curry being a wing player up against average wing defenders averaged 21 points and shot 61% FG and 60% 3P.

You can't have defenders only that aren't capable of scoring and expect to win, you need a mix of both. 3&D guys and players who can handle the ball and score.

Comment

the only thing though is that the Hawks faced an aging Derrick Rose, the regular season phenom Randle and everybody else who are mediocre at best offensively who you don’t need much of an elite defensive scheme to beat them. Even a pylon can get lucky

Of course, I am giving them credit for taking the Sixers to game 7 and beating them the last few minutes of the 4th quarter. But Simmons crumbled when it mattered most, that was IMO was the difference maker. Nothing to do with Gallo as the final nail on the coffin as you started your post….lol

That said, stopping Giannis, Middleton and Jrue may require an Iggy/ Draymond type players to neutralize that. Gallo and Lou chucking shots ain’t going to cut it

Comment

• Is Simmons a center in today’s NBA? Surround him with 4 shooters and let him bring the ball up in transition?

Before the playoffs I thought golden state would be a good fit for him for Wiggins and the Minnesota pick. Now there’s no way I’m trading the Minnesota pick for Ben.

Gonna be tough for Philly to get any value at all here.

I love it. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X