RR Forums Considering Move to Discord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    Gonna put on my Masai hat…continuity and stability is your friend. The last big change to the forum was when a bunch of posters left. Going to another app i fear you have a bunch of nonsense as opposed to decent discussion here. Even the people I disagree with here usually present discussion points in a positive and insightful manner.
    Yeah, I think a change in technology will be the final nail in the coffin. RIP RR.

Comment

I think moving to Discord will definitely make the chat more active, but is that a good thing? I like the group of people we have here, whether we agree or disagree, the people here are generally knowledgable about basketball or at least are passionate about the Raptors. Moving to a more active chat will likely bring on more casuals and trolls.

I think people including myself have gotten used to this website.

Comment

This feels like that time at work when they send out
        an employee opinion survey and then do the exact opposite of what everyone says.

Comment

I get that vBulletin hasn't done an update in 9 months. But if there isn't a better forum software to host on your website why get rid of the forum on your website?

I feel like saying go to Discord is saying go to reddit. Or go to a Facebook group. Basically go somewhere that's not our website.

As someone who runs a multimillion Shopify store I question the logic of sending the forum off site when the draft thread has over 78K views. The forum is content your website users view in large numbers and wanna see. If you eliminate it I'd expect a massive drop in website traffic. What's the benefit to RR to push people to Discord?

Comment

So to understand it from the title.....the forums would go to Discord but the mainpage would remain here?

Comment

Yeah discord is nothing like a forum. Text channels don’t work the same way, threads will never be the same. I use discord for certain things but I don’t see my RR tendencies translating to discord. Personally I’m really really against this move even though I acknowledge that it’s mostly selfish. That being said, as others have mentioned, I could see this killing the community as a lot of us just won’t be as active or engaged on discord.

I did sign up for it and I’m in the server now but I would truly hate to see this forum disappear.

Comment

discord is dope!

Comment

Feels like the death to RR forums with this announcement lol

Makes me sad since I've been an active user for over 10 years now. But I guess we have to change with the times. I do suspect we'll just lose this community forever as I don't think Discord can replace what we've had here.

I created an account on rally.io and submitted my details to Sam. So if this forum does die, will see you all on Discord I guess. Although maybe sparingly depending on how many users end up going there.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                    Yeah discord is nothing like a forum. Text channels don’t work the same way, threads will never be the same. I use discord for certain things but I don’t see my RR tendencies translating to discord. Personally I’m really really against this move even though I acknowledge that it’s mostly selfish. That being said, as others have mentioned, I could see this killing the community as a lot of us just won’t be as active or engaged on discord.

I did sign up for it and I’m in the server now but I would truly hate to see this forum disappear.
                    I signed up. Is there an established RR presence on it yet? I am searching for one and am not finding anything. So far it smells too much like Twitter for me to believe there is going to be an opportunity for the kind of dialogue that occurs on the current forum. But that is just my first impression. So far, the help function isn't helping. Will I have to go on Youtube to find a proper description and demo of how to use it? Grumble, grumble grumble, kids these days. Everything was working just fine. Change for change's sake blah blah blah.

Comment

You guys are doing discord wrong just send the server link
                      Last edited by grindhouse; Sat Jul 24, 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Discord is for messaging. It's not like a forum at all. Quoting articles, showing stats.. stuff like that just won't work on Discord. Basically this is saying goodbye to Raptors Republic forums. Everyone go to Reddit, it's still somewhat like a forum.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

I like these forums but I don't like the comment section under the articles (its pretty terrible most of the time) and I think with a move to Discord you're going to see more of the commenting from the main page articles then you'll see stuff here. ALTHOUGH, I think its easier to moderate so you can punt the worst of the worst main page posters.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Discord is for messaging. It's not like a forum at all. Quoting articles, showing stats.. stuff like that just won't work on Discord. Basically this is saying goodbye to Raptors Republic forums. Everyone go to Reddit, it's still somewhat like a forum.
                            They could easily make a Raptors Republic subreddit on Reddit to keep the same community here and make it private. Give out details via Discord.

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            You guys are doing discord wrong just send the server link
                            I agree, the $RAPS is a cool idea, but most people would rather just click a link and join.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I agree with this.

Been a part of plenty of groups trying to get users on apps by this point of the pandemic, and it's hard to get it to work right. Uptake is generally not good and you lose a lot of people. Average, not tech inclined people can have a hard time figuring out new apps and don't enjoy that process. They aren't gamers.

Just an opinion. Some people would love it but I suspect we'd end up with fewer regular users overall, losing some current regulars and low uptake in the future. If a new visitor on the RR main page sees a chat link, and they have to download a new app to join, I think you'd have some people dropping at that point vs just clicking a button to a forum on a new webpage in your current browser. Those transitions lose users.

Discord could be fun as a live game thread replacement. That's probably the most important use for gamers, live chats that can do voice and text.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I actually use discord a ton already, so I would be fine with it in that sense, but I agree that it’s definitely a super different feel. Like it’s much more of an extra casual, group chat type thing. Easier to message and probably way easier technically if Bulletin is fading but harder to have the structure and type of proper conversations that are had here
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X