Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RR Forums Considering Move to Discord

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    I rarely post but have been lurking for almost a decade.

    I love discord and would be up for the move. In fact, I’d be posting and commenting way more frequently, but only if everyone else would continue to use it. If it means the vibes and community here falling apart then I’d pass.
    Last edited by BrydenB; Tue Jul 27, 2021, 03:17 PM.

    Comment


    • #77
      Thanks for everyone chiming in. And thanks for the guys running the show for listening. Maybe it would have worked. Maybe when it has been around a little longer and more people are using it we will see how it could improve the experience. But for now, it looks like we are staying the course...all fat and sassy.

      Comment


      • #78
        Now what do I do with this video of me burning Doc's jersey on my driveway
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

        Comment


        • #79
          BrydenB wrote: View Post
          I rarely post but have been lurking for almost a decade.

          I love discord and would be up for the move. In fact, I’d be posting and commenting way more frequently, but only if everyone else would continue to use it. If it means the vibes and community here falling apart then I’d pass.
          For the first time in RR history there is unanimous agreement on an issue and then we have this…. ahem…. discord. Lol.

          Comment


          • #80
            This was a great thread to read through. What twists and turns! First, fear and disappointment. Then, pages of the fellas pouring out their love for RR forum was the heart wrenching 2nd act. Then finally, Doc Naismith in with the happy ending in the 4th page swerve.

            It was almost like getting to see what people would say about RR at her funeral, but then she got brought back to life .

            This will go down as the greatest thread I have ever read through and am glad I didn't see it until 4 days later, shoutout Tha Good Doc for listening to his patients . Long live the RR crew!
            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

            Comment


            • #81
              Curious though as this came up: why are forums dying? Everybody here brought up very good reasons why it's still the best discussion format around for things like this, but it seems if you're not always chatting on discord or twitter or reddit or twitch these days then you're getting left behind.

              The sentences (and the attention spans) are getting shorter with each passing year. Can't even find very man longform articles anymore, everybody needs their podcast so they can listen to it in double time while they're on the go.

              OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg
              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

              Comment


              • #82
                I love the organization of threads on the site, I love having the history of each topic. Stuff doesn’t get lost in a bunch of posts. We get the occasional troll but not like on other sites.

                I also think we have a very informed, passionate Raptors community here. Some of my friends watch basketball and are Raptors fans, but having conversations with them is more surface stuff. The conversations here are way more in depth then I ever could go with the casual fan. It’s nice being able to connect with people that have the same amount of love for the team/game... even if we don’t agree all the time.

                Comment


                • #83
                  S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Now what do I do with this video of me burning Doc's jersey on my driveway
                  You can burn it. Since the pandemic started, it doesn't fit me anymore. Too much side boob.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    This was a great thread to read through. What twists and turns! First, fear and disappointment. Then, pages of the fellas pouring out their love for RR forum was the heart wrenching 2nd act. Then finally, Doc Naismith in with the happy ending in the 4th page swerve.

                    It was almost like getting to see what people would say about RR at her funeral, but then she got brought back to life .

                    This will go down as the greatest thread I have ever read through and am glad I didn't see it until 4 days later, shoutout Tha Good Doc for listening to his patients . Long live the RR crew!
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Curious though as this came up: why are forums dying? Everybody here brought up very good reasons why it's still the best discussion format around for things like this, but it seems if you're not always chatting on discord or twitter or reddit or twitch these days then you're getting left behind.

                      The sentences (and the attention spans) are getting shorter with each passing year. Can't even find very man longform articles anymore, everybody needs their podcast so they can listen to it in double time while they're on the go.

                      OldManYellsAtCloud.jpg
                      Forums in general aren't what they used to be. The only really active message board when it comes to bball is the RealGM. And even its quality has gone to shit over the years. Long gone are the good ole' days from the old ESPN message boards from back in the late 90's in early 2000's.

                      Zarar, Sam and I just wanted to try something new with Discord. Which we'll still work on, but in the meantime, if there was still demand here, then no point in shutting it down. Business as usual.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Doc wrote: View Post

                        Forums in general aren't what they used to be. The only really active message board when it comes to bball is the RealGM. And even its quality has gone to shit over the years. Long gone are the good ole' days from the old ESPN message boards from back in the late 90's in early 2000's.

                        Zarar, Sam and I just wanted to try something new with Discord. Which we'll still work on, but in the meantime, if there was still demand here, then no point in shutting it down. Business as usual.
                        I feel like the move away from forums is like the move away from having a downtown with shops to supermalls. Everyone thought supermalls were a great idea. Now everyone realizes malls suck and they're all dying and the downtown with shops has made a huge resurgence. I think it's human nature to always to try to change and improve upon things, but some things are already as good as it gets and people ultimately go back to it.

                        If we have any software engineers in the forum, develop some new forum software and you'll corner the market on the best way to discuss sports (and any other topic) in depth and at length with knowledgeable people. Comment sections and chats always turn into a shit storm and people will be pining for more forums.
                        Last edited by Primer; Thu Jul 29, 2021, 06:54 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Primer wrote: View Post

                          I feel like the move away from forums is like the move away from having a downtown with shops to supermalls. Everyone thought supermalls were a great idea. Now everyone realizes malls suck and they're all dying and the downtown with shops has made a huge resurgence. I think it's human nature to always to try to change and improve upon things, but some things are already as good as it gets and people ultimately go back to it.
                          Or maybe we can become the last surviving message board on the internet, and they will come from far and wide to write articles about how quaint it is like that last remaining Blockbuster video in Ohio
                          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            KeonClark wrote: View Post

                            Or maybe we can become the last surviving message board on the internet, and they will write articles about how quaint it is like that last remaining Blockbuster video in Ohio
                            If we get a Netflix special about the RR forums that would be pretty amazing. Video of us all cheering when we get the news the board has been renewed for another year.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X