Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR Forums Considering Move to Discord

Hey guys and gals,

As some of you know who received our email the other day, we're considering moving the forums over to a new platform called Discord. For those of you that aren't familiar with it (I wasn't till I joined a little while back) here is some info;

If you are not aware of what Discord is, here it is in a nutshell:
    • Discord is a group-chatting platform originally built for gamers that have since become a general use platform for many kinds of communities.
    • Discord is divided into servers, each of which has its own members, topics, rules, and channels.
    • Discord also allows users to voice- and video chat, as well as live stream games and other programs from their computers.
    Here's a link that explains how to navigate this platform: Click here

It's very user-friendly and available on both desktop and mobile. Like any new platform it will take some time to get comfortable with it but overall offers much more than vBulletin which is now dying a slow death during these times.

That being said, before we commit to such a change I would like to get some feedback from you guys. I know there is a loyal bunch here on forums, so we don't want to rock the boat too much. I just think longer-term Discord will be a more active site for our community both here in the forums and over on the main site too.

So, let us know if you have any questions or concerns about such a move. At the end of the day, we want to ensure most are onboard before making such a commitment.

I see discord as more of a live chat forum.
    Forums are pretty much self moderating these days... I would vote to stay the course.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

Will it be hosted on this site and accessible for website visitors to view the forums? My understanding of Discord is its an app on your phone and wouldn't be on Raptors Republic.

If we're just getting pushed off the site to use some app on our phone I don't really like the idea.

If I can still go to RaptorsRepublic.com and click forums on the top left and it just looks different than now that's not a big deal.

Comment

FYI I'm using my laptop 90% of the time I'm on the forums so something mobile only is a hard no.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          FYI I'm using my laptop 90% of the time I'm on the forums so something mobile only is a hard no.
          There is a desktop app and also a browser version of discord, as well as the mobile app. I've used the browser version, seems identical to the mobile app as far as I can tell.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

There is a desktop app and also a browser version of discord, as well as the mobile app. I've used the browser version, seems identical to the mobile app as far as I can tell.
            So were pushed off site into an app? If it's not part of the website then I really don't like it.

Comment

Not really big on it. The reason i like RR is cause its a small community of mostly knowledgeable basketball fans.
              While it does seem like 5-10 active posters stopped coming around the community still has the feel of a group of dudes shooting the shit about the team. If you guys have some goal to grow the community i guess it makes since for you, but if i wanted a larger community of casuals, memes and 15 year old i would go to reddit.
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

The desktop version is honestly SUPER nice

Comment

It's a habit, a routine almost most of the guys here are doing since, long time ago. I don't see myself going to Discord and checking RR-related topics, doesn't have the feel, doesn't create the same user experience most of us are used to here. To attract more new members, maybe it makes sense for you guys but I'm afraid the old community will be gone.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I would join but I would always come back to the forum its nice because of chat channels and what not.

Comment

If it ain't broke.... don't fix it. Maybe it is broke. I dunno. Is it?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        If it ain't broke.... don't fix it. Maybe it is broke. I dunno. Is it?
                        it was last year

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                          It's a habit, a routine almost most of the guys here are doing since, long time ago. I don't see myself going to Discord and checking RR-related topics, doesn't have the feel, doesn't create the same user experience most of us are used to here. To attract more new members, maybe it makes sense for you guys but I'm afraid the old community will be gone.
                          Either way I will always come back

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                            Will it be hosted on this site and accessible for website visitors to view the forums? My understanding of Discord is its an app on your phone and wouldn't be on Raptors Republic.

If we're just getting pushed off the site to use some app on our phone I don't really like the idea.

If I can still go to RaptorsRepublic.com and click forums on the top left and it just looks different than now that's not a big deal.
                            This sums it up for me.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Gonna put on my Masai hat…continuity and stability is your friend. The last big change to the forum was when a bunch of posters left. Going to another app i fear you have a bunch of nonsense as opposed to decent discussion here. Even the people I disagree with here usually present discussion points in a positive and insightful manner.

Comment

Working...
                              X