Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post

Well Masai and Bobby have both said Scottie's all star level jump this season came as a bit of surprise. If it happened last season, they probably would have moved on from the Fred/Pascal/OG core last season, but Scottie was going through his slumps and they gave that core one last shot by getting Poeltl.
    not sure how much was scottie going through some slumps vs scottie's role was primarily as a bystanding 4th/5th option. we did not often put him in position to succeed last year and he had flashes of dominance when he had more of the ball.

and i was a broken record about this. of all the moves masai and bobby have made and all the statements they've made about them publicly, not being able to see that leap coming were he to be put in more advantageous positions is what i find the most questionable

Comment

• Holly crap .. What a shit show going on the next day explaining what happened . Coach says one thing and player being ignorant
      and going in a different direction .

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        Things are getting spicy. It was nice knowing you Darko.

Semantics, conversation, mention, meeting whatever I guess Scottie doesn't want Darko lying for him or suggestions he was reamed out for it when it was probably a mention in a larger conversation.
        I don't think what Darko said happened...actually happened. Called it....
        Last edited by G____Deane; Tue Feb 13, 2024, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Not a good look.

I'm fine with keeping the disciplinary and discussions behind closed doors.

Scottie has been thrown into a leadership role, mid season, at 22 years old. There is going to be growing pains.

His vets and friends were traded away. The new team is not as good as it was, but it has potential. This kid has played on very good teams his entire career.

If this transition from young, role player with a bunch of upside, to leader and face of the franchise happened in the summer I don't think there would be as much of an issue (he would be able to digest the news behind closed doors, seek guidance from mentors and mentally prepare to be the guy). He is expected to go from being in the periphery to lime light, all while dealing with the first big midseason shakeup of his career while being in the media's watchful eye.

Again, I don't think it's a good look.
          If it happens again we have big issues.
          But expecting a young man to be given the keys of the franchise mid season, with a rookie coach and little to no guidance, and expecting him to do it in stride was setting our expectations up too high.

Comment

• no it was not a good look but i also can't believe how big a deal some ppl are making about it. he was frustrated with himself and he didn't handle it well. sounds like he's aware and ready to move on.

It was a bad look... It was a mistake on my part.
            I'm just frustrated, mad at myself. Just gotta take care of the ball. It led to easy fast-break points. Showing emotion, not getting back, it cost us. It's more me being frustrated with myself and the way I'm playing. It's not really anything to do with anybody else. I'm just more frustrated on my part.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
              no it was not a good look but i also can't believe how big a deal some ppl are making about it. he was frustrated with himself and he didn't handle it well. sounds like he's aware and ready to move on.

Its up to him to learn from it and try not to get so visibly frustrated.

People just need a scapegoat for everything. Unfortunately for Scottie, the spotlight is on him now.

Comment

• Scottie is young he’s still maturing he needs some slack but at the same time Ill say this..if he was playing under another gm like riley or coach like pops or alongside butler pretty sure he doesn’t leave the game early

Comment

• Good to hear he was just pissed about the game we all were

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

should learn from Andre Miller. Old Miller was a pg who posted up a lot, no explosive step, just post up
                    man andre had fairly solid footwork

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                      Ever since OG left, Scottie has been disgusting with this team, I didn't like OG trade, I would of kept him, Raptors would have 2 overpay, but Scottie would be happy.
                      Basketball is about happiness, I don't c it.
                      I think his miserable, I think fans, if u keep pushing him away. He will leave, will do what Tracy McGrady did, I'm just saying.
                      Anyway, we gotta b patient, but man it's tough when u have a coach who's a Numbskull.

I think after the all star break, Scottie should sit, take some time off, rest.
                      Couple weeks, just heal, his not healthy, his playing hurt, the guy has no lift..

so I just want to make sure I understand. 3rd year guy in the league is effectively not in shape enough to handle the rigors of a season where he knew he was going to be taking on a higher usage role?

If that is the excuse I will take it but still. Not saying there hasn't been turmoil but yeah. For the record Barnes played decent when OG was traded efficiency wise but once both Pascal AND OG were moved he had no one capable of drawing gravity. BTW OG aint drawing gravity as an offensive guy.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Raps fans don't realize how spoiled they are. We've watched good, really good, and elite teams for the better part of a decade. And good teams always have something to play for. We are now watching a bad team. Bad teams are bad for many reasons. And there are no quick fixes.

However, it's also not too much to ask that you don't check out and get blown out and embarrassed by a 10-win team at home. That kind of stuff shouldn't sit well even when you are terrible.
                        I would say ESPECIALLY when you were terrible in the game.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Ok. So the new excuse is it's going to take some time. That's fine. I'll give him another year. I always say that if you've not shown any improvement after your 4th year then you are what you are as a player doesn't matter what your age is. If you remember I said that about Trent a few years ago even though some idiot here kept saying he's only 23. Trent is what he is.

And yes, I think RJ and IQ are what they are as a player.

most players by their 3rd year you at least know what their optimal position is at a minimum. Darko said like two months ago that he didn't even know what he was best at. If Darko is around best of luck with next year figuring this out.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

3rd year.
                            How many players became superstars in 3 years?
                            Most of them? You can immediately tell when a player is going to be great or not. You knew Luka was a superstar his rookie year. VC in his 2nd year. Duncan his rookie year. Edwards last year(his 3rd year), Morant in his second year. Wemby is going to be one you can tell. I can go on and on. I didn't want to bring up guys like Shaq and LeBron because those guys were phenom coming out of college/HS.

Obviously there are some exceptions like Giannis and Curry but it's rare.

Year 4 is a long time. He gotta show something next year.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Most of them? You can immediately tell when a player is going to be great or not. You knew Luka was a superstar his rookie year. VC in his 2nd year. Duncan his rookie year. Edwards last year(his 3rd year), Morant in his second year. Wemby is going to be one you can tell. I can go on and on. I didn't want to bring up guys like Shaq and LeBron because those guys were phenom coming out of college/HS.

Obviously there are some exceptions like Giannis and Curry but it's rare.

Year 4 is a long time. He gotta show something next year.
                              Most of those are either generational or top picks.
                              Scottie out of college was as they say here, zero level scorer.

Scottie is probably taking the Kawhi route and it's perfectly ok, and IF he gets to his level then good for us.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

so I just want to make sure I understand. 3rd year guy in the league is effectively not in shape enough to handle the rigors of a season where he knew he was going to be taking on a higher usage role?

If that is the excuse I will take it but still. Not saying there hasn't been turmoil but yeah. For the record Barnes played decent when OG was traded efficiency wise but once both Pascal AND OG were moved he had no one capable of drawing gravity. BTW OG aint drawing gravity as an offensive guy.
                                Conditioning & cardio could definitely be an issue. In fact, Scottie acknowledged that after year 2 & worked hard to improve it over the summer - he talked about it in the season opening presser and then came flying out of the gates to start the year. Maybe the benefits are starting to wear off as the season grinds on. He might need multiple years to build up stamina, while at the same time he's probably adding muscle. He has a big frame to move around the court and does that with a high motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X