Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • chris wrote: View Post

    and swaps. it was as much pick equity as allowed to be included. plus shai. it was pretty no-brainer
    Shai finished 6th in ROY voting that season... behind Colin Sexton and just 1 point ahead of Marvin Bagley. Shai was absolutely NOT a no-brainer, future MVP conversation lock.... if that's your argument here. Projecting draft picks, rookies and young prospects is always high risk, unless it's Lebron, Wemby, Duncan, etc...

    Like what if Clippers had drafted Sexton and Bagley and they were the only young prospects available? Presti probably still does the trade, but he looks like an ass today.

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      Shai finished 6th in ROY voting that season... behind Colin Sexton and just 1 point ahead of Marvin Bagley. Shai was absolutely NOT a no-brainer, future MVP conversation lock.... if that's your argument here. Projecting draft picks, rookies and young prospects is always high risk, unless it's Lebron, Wemby, Duncan, etc...

      Like what if Clippers had drafted Sexton and Bagley and they were the only young prospects available? Presti probably still does the trade, but he looks like an ass today.
      yeah i agree they still would have done it with another young prospect. i definitely don't think they did the deal anticipating that shai would become an MVP level player. that's just gravy. but i don't think presti would look like an ass though if it weren't shai

      i still think it's a home-run if you swap shai for a more middling prospect. pelton didn't know what shai would become at the time and said the thunder still wouldn't have turned it down even if PG hadn't asked out, it was that much of a godfather offer.

      they knew their ceiling with russ and PG. to reach a higher one they had to go through the draft and you want as many swings at the bat as possible that route.

      i mean the fact that you're saying they still would have made the trade if it was another prospect implies that you know it was a pretty great package

      Comment


      • chris wrote: View Post

        yeah i agree they still would have done it with another young prospect. i definitely don't think they did the deal anticipating that shai would become an MVP level player. that's just gravy. but i don't think presti would look like an ass though if it weren't shai

        i still think it's a home-run if you swap shai for a more middling prospect. pelton didn't know what shai would become at the time and said the thunder still wouldn't have turned it down even if PG hadn't asked out, it was that much of a godfather offer.

        they knew their ceiling with russ and PG. to reach a higher one they had to go through the draft and you want as many swings at the bat as possible that route.

        i mean the fact that you're saying they still would have made the trade if it was another prospect implies that you know it was a pretty great package
        The greatest of draft packages is still just that... a package. Not players. Some people call it "magic beans". Can't remember which GM said: "Draft, Shmaft!". There's a reason why Masai would prefer young prospects over picks.

        The draft is inherently high risk.... not bird in hand. Even more risky for GM job security, when you're selling off All-NBA and MVP players....after already losing All-NBA & MVP caliber players. Try to get the fanbase behind that. It was extremely ballsy of Presti and prescient to move on from, instead of doubling down on PG/Russ. It's the exact opposite of what Masai did with the lesser FVV/Siakam/OG core.

        Comment


        • golden wrote: View Post

          The greatest of draft packages is still just that... a package. Not players. Some people call it "magic beans". Can't remember which GM said: "Draft, Shmaft!". There's a reason why Masai would prefer young prospects over picks.

          The draft is inherently high risk.... not bird in hand. Even more risky for GM job security, when you're selling off All-NBA and MVP players....after already losing All-NBA & MVP caliber players. Try to get the fanbase behind that. It was extremely ballsy of Presti and prescient to move on from, instead of doubling down on PG/Russ. It's the exact opposite of what Masai did with the lesser FVV/Siakam/OG core.
          i just disagree with the bold man. they won one playoff game in two years. we had way more success with the FVV/siakam/OG core the year after kawhi left than the russ/PG thunder ever showed, and then added scottie on top of it.

          i do agree with the draft being a crap shoot though, which is why you need as many picks as possible to maximize chances of the return being high.

          you're also inherently acknowledging that we might not be any better off if we did decide to blow it up after the bubble than we are now. we might have ended up with wiseman, jalen green and scoot instead of BBQ dick.

          all in all i find it hard to get too worked up over most of the decisions our FO has made

          Comment


          • Scottie made the all star team right? how come there's no Scottie Barnes all star content on twitter or any Raptors social account?

            It's so different than when Kyle or DeMar first made the all star team.
            Mamba Mentality

            Comment


            • The Great One wrote: View Post
              Scottie made the all star team right? how come there's no Scottie Barnes all star content on twitter or any Raptors social account?

              It's so different than when Kyle or DeMar first made the all star team.
              The bar has been raised since winning the chip. Remember when the high point of the franchise was VC winning the slam dunk contest? Toronto fans have climbed the Mt. Everest of getting respect from the US media. Raptor players getting an all-star nod is now ‘meh’. That, and the Toronto sports media old heads + Will Lou hates Scottie.

              Comment


              • Is Scottie going to be involved in All-Star Saturday night at all? Or is he just playing in the game?

                Comment


                • planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Is Scottie going to be involved in All-Star Saturday night at all? Or is he just playing in the game?
                  He is in the skills competition again with Maxey and Trae as his teammates

                  Comment


                  • A.I wrote: View Post

                    He is in the skills competition again with Maxey and Trae as his teammates
                    Okay cool, thanks. Might turn in for that.

                    Comment


                    • Where’s the love for our guy? He killed it in the skills competition. Every time he got spaced out to the 3pt spot I cringed a bit because how would he not be the weak link between him, Maxi and Trey? And he knocked all of them down. On to bigger and better things. Keep being great

                      Comment


                      • Let's go Scottie!!!
                        Mamba Mentality

                        Comment


                        • Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          Where’s the love for our guy? He killed it in the skills competition. Every time he got spaced out to the 3pt spot I cringed a bit because how would he not be the weak link between him, Maxi and Trey? And he knocked all of them down. On to bigger and better things. Keep being great
                          Yeah, he was good. I loved him during the one handed bullets into those targets. That was hilarious how easy it was for him.

                          Comment


                          • Scottie just pulled of his “is anybody going to catch me before I dunk it” in the all star game. Then two PU3IT in a row for good measure

                            Comment


                            • Guess what bench player is leading the East in rebounds so far?

                              Comment


                              • Barnes looked more than respectable. Even forced the producers to make the broadcast mention him. Well done. Now time to party. Again.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X