Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post
    Just wanted to say that I think we still underrate him and his unleashed potential.
    He’s not a natural scorer, he is a good defender, decent rebounder, and has above average vision for a a forward. His handle is loose and his 3 ball is still unreliable.
    He’s good, not great. I need to see a solid improvement from him for the 2024/25 season to have confidence enough to anoint the team as his.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

He’s not a natural scorer, he is a good defender, decent rebounder, and has above average vision for a a forward. His handle is loose and his 3 ball is still unreliable.
      He’s good, not great. I need to see a solid improvement from him for the 2024/25 season to have confidence enough to anoint the team as his.
      You mean he is basically Jaylen Brown?

Comment

• He needs a lob threat. Barnes and Claxton are the CP3/Tyson Chandler combo the Raps need

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          He needs a lob threat. Barnes and Claxton are the CP3/Tyson Chandler combo the Raps need
          Jak is perfectly capable of catching lobs. He just gathers then puts it in instead of dunking the lob. Less flashy but he essentially does not miss. Lob passes are absolutely an option with Jak.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Jak is perfectly capable of catching lobs. He just gathers then puts it in instead of dunking the lob. Less flashy but he essentially does not miss. Lob passes are absolutely an option with Jak.
            Taking time to gather defeats the purpose doesn't it? Allows defenses time reposition, and also allows defenses to spread out and not stay as tight to their assignment because they know that it takes time to gather. A lob for a dunk is for the most part an instant threat. You're either in position as a defender to prevent it or it's 2pts.

Comment

Taking time to gather defeats the purpose doesn't it? Allows defenses time reposition, and also allows defenses to spread out and not stay as tight to their assignment because they know that it takes time to gather. A lob for a dunk is for the most part an instant threat. You're either in position as a defender to prevent it or it's 2pts.
              Considering Jak managed to put up 4.7 attempts right at the rim this season, and is basically the most efficient rim scorer in the league, I don't think it's been an issue. You're either in position against him or he's scoring even if you try to recover to him.

Like, who above him in attempts would be considered a lob threat? Like Jarrett Allen might be the biggest lob threat in the league right now? He managed 6.7 attempts a game (5.4 per 26 minutes like Jak played). Not a massive difference. Anthony Davis I guess, though he's obviously a lot more than a lob threat, and still only 5.6 attempts at the rim per 26. Clint Capela is the most obvious guy, at 6.6 attempts per 26, as a pure lob and dunk guy (who isn't actually all that efficient at the rim because unlike Jak, if you stop the dunk he can't do much).
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Considering Jak managed to put up 4.7 attempts right at the rim this season, and is basically the most efficient rim scorer in the league, I don't think it's been an issue. You're either in position against him or he's scoring even if you try to recover to him.

Like, who above him in attempts would be considered a lob threat? Like Jarrett Allen might be the biggest lob threat in the league right now? He managed 6.7 attempts a game (5.4 per 26 minutes like Jak played). Not a massive difference. Anthony Davis I guess, though he's obviously a lot more than a lob threat, and still only 5.6 attempts at the rim per 26. Clint Capela is the most obvious guy, at 6.6 attempts per 26, as a pure lob and dunk guy (who isn't actually all that efficient at the rim because unlike Jak, if you stop the dunk he can't do much).
                The guy I've been hoping to replace Jak, if they decide to move him, is Claxton. Not sure what his rim attempts are like, but pairing him with Scottie could open up more attempts at the rim possibly as well as cause defenses to play tighter allowing for more room in the paint. This is all about creating as many options and space for Scottie.

Comment

The guy I've been hoping to replace Jak, if they decide to move him, is Claxton. Not sure what his rim attempts are like, but pairing him with Scottie could open up more attempts at the rim possibly as well as cause defenses to play tighter allowing for more room in the paint. This is all about creating as many options and space for Scottie.
                  How does Claxton create more space for Scottie? It's kind of the opposite, no? The defender can just sit back in the paint. He's not even like Jak, who can do some playmaking from a high post to draw out the rim protector.

Comment

Claxton is one of the nearest things to Jak in the league, which is why I kind of like the theory of chasing him in FA after a Jak trade (though he'll be more expensive).

He had 5.6 attempts a game (4.9 per 26 vs Jak's 4.7) and had a 73% FG% at the rim, only a little worse than Jak. Can pass a little on the roll. Definitely dunks a lot more than Jak (but a layup is worth the same as a dunk), but the benefit of Scottie may be outweighed by the drop in shooting around him (Nets were basically just him and shooters).

Claxton's offensive impact was dramatically worse than Jak's, we should not expect him to help Scottie at all. He'll cramp the paint more so than Jak does. The hope would be he can replicate the defensive benefit of Jak (along with maybe some more versatility there) and maybe not be too bad a drop off from Jak, to make it worth the additional expense that comes with free agency, to be offset by whatever value we get from Jak. A straight swap of the two is a losing proposition.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

How does Claxton create more space for Scottie? It's kind of the opposite, no? The defender can just sit back in the paint. He's not even like Jak, who can do some playmaking from a high post to draw out the rim protector.
                      Claxton is a lot alike Jak, but he provides the addition of that vertical threat. You have to play those type of players super tight so defenders can't play the between game in the paint where they defend their man from a few feet away.

Comment

Claxton is a lot alike Jak, but he provides the addition of that vertical threat. You have to play those type of players super tight so defenders can't play the between game in the paint where they defend their man from a few feet away.
                        It's not an addition. It's a vertical threat instead of Jak's higher efficiency general paint finishing. Claxton's offensive impact numbers suggest he's dramatically worse than Jak on that end, while they are pretty similar defensively (slight positives for their role). I think you are overestimating the threat of a pure rim runner. It's the easiest type of player to defend, outside of complete zeroes on offence.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Claxton is one of the nearest things to Jak in the league, which is why I kind of like the theory of chasing him in FA after a Jak trade (though he'll be more expensive).

He had 5.6 attempts a game (4.9 per 26 vs Jak's 4.7) and had a 73% FG% at the rim, only a little worse than Jak. Can pass a little on the roll. Definitely dunks a lot more than Jak (but a layup is worth the same as a dunk), but the benefit of Scottie may be outweighed by the drop in shooting around him (Nets were basically just him and shooters).

Claxton's offensive impact was dramatically worse than Jak's, we should not expect him to help Scottie at all. He'll cramp the paint more so than Jak does. The hope would be he can replicate the defensive benefit of Jak (along with maybe some more versatility there) and maybe not be too bad a drop off from Jak, to make it worth the additional expense that comes with free agency, to be offset by whatever value we get from Jak. A straight swap of the two is a losing proposition.
                          That's 5.6 attempts playing off Spencer Dinwiddie or whomever was creating plays in Brooklyn. How will those attempts change next to a real playmaker like Scottie? The reason I like Claxton is because he provides so much of the same as Jak, but he's younger and provides that dunk threat which I think will create more spacing for Scottie.

Also, Claxton is sitting around the same number of assists per game as Jak, on a team that doesn't ask him to be a hub for their offense. He may very well have that in his bag as well.

Comment

That's 5.6 attempts playing off Spencer Dinwiddie or whomever was creating plays in Brooklyn. How will those attempts change next to a real playmaker like Scottie? The reason I like Claxton is because he provides so much of the same as Jak, but he's younger and provides that dunk threat which I think will create more spacing for Scottie.

Also, Claxton is sitting around the same number of assists per game as Jak, on a team that doesn't ask him to be a hub for their offense. He may very well have that in his bag as well.
                            Claxton can pass on the roll, which is good. Whether he can really create from the high post is a question that we'd need to answer. He has a lot more shooters to pass to now than he would have here.

What is the "so much the same" as Jak? Framing it as him being Jak PLUS the lob threat is weird - by all measures he provides much less on offence than Jak does. Like, the lob threat and passing on the roll is basically all he provides. Jak is much more well rounded on that end.

The hope would be his style would better fit with Scottie enough to overcome the downgrade such that if we are lucky we break even on the swap, and can live with the higher annual cost in order to get his youth, maybe some defensive versatility, and whatever value we get in a Jak trade.

If we go into this thinking we are getting better just swapping Jak for Claxton we are going to be sorely disappointed.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Time to step up and prove the clown dead wrong.

Imagine being called trash the first page of this thread.

Comment

• https://x.com/MuseBarnes/status/1802113978140692833

Comment

Working...
                                X