No announcement yet.

Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think they learned the lesson with JV, but they have to watch that they add strength but not much more weight. Right now he has the ability to stay in front of most PG's, and defend most 5's, you want to make sure you don't reduce his agility.

Comment

• Might just be getting caught up in all the hype around Scottie but the way he talks/directs teammates during plays and in timeouts you can really see some CP3 in him. He's just got a higher basketball IQ than most everyone on the floor. Once that applies to NBA lvl players and he starts seeing plays before they happen and can read what defenses are trying to do...lights out. Lots to be excited about.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Might just be getting caught up in all the hype around Scottie but the way he talks/directs teammates during plays and in timeouts you can really see some CP3 in him. He's just got a higher basketball IQ than most everyone on the floor. Once that applies to NBA lvl players and he starts seeing plays before they happen and can read what defenses are trying to do...lights out. Lots to be excited about.
        One of the clips someone posted after we drafted him had him watching the Nets playoff game with his coach and some other players training there and he was calling out what everyone was doing wrong and what they should be doing instead while casually eating some French fries. Felt more like a college coach watching the game than a 20 year old who just finished his first year of college. He's definitely got a high BB IQ and clearly has a love for the game where he studies what everyone should be doing, not just himself.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          Might just be getting caught up in all the hype around Scottie but the way he talks/directs teammates during plays and in timeouts you can really see some CP3 in him. He's just got a higher basketball IQ than most everyone on the floor. Once that applies to NBA lvl players and he starts seeing plays before they happen and can read what defenses are trying to do...lights out. Lots to be excited about.
          Actually in some podcast with Blake and some other guys they were saying opposite. He already sees the plays and his mind knows what he needs to do it's just lack of skill or his body not ready to do what his brain wants him to do. So mind wise in their opinion he's ready but it's just about skill now.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSvDB..._web_copy_link

Scottie working on his game

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              Kid will only get better.
              A floater in his arsenal would be nice too.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                I think they learned the lesson with JV, but they have to watch that they add strength but not much more weight. Right now he has the ability to stay in front of most PG's, and defend most 5's, you want to make sure you don't reduce his agility.
                Great point. Nimbleness is the priority here. Have him become more muscular as he naturally grows (he just turned 20), and that's all the added weight he needs.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                  I think they learned the lesson with JV, but they have to watch that they add strength but not much more weight. Right now he has the ability to stay in front of most PG's, and defend most 5's, you want to make sure you don't reduce his agility.
                  JV was a strange one in a transition period where the NBA went from giant Centers to more versatile ones. The year JV came into the league, bigs like Dwight, Hibbert, Monroe, Randolph, Jefferson and so on reigned supreme, so the Raptors had JV bulk up to match them and turns out the league started transitioning to smaller and more athletic bigs.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

JV was a strange one in a transition period where the NBA went from giant Centers to more versatile ones. The year JV came into the league, bigs like Dwight, Hibbert, Monroe, Randolph, Jefferson and so on reigned supreme, so the Raptors had JV bulk up to match them and turns out the league started transitioning to smaller and more athletic bigs.
                    Yeah Pacers were one of the best defensive teams and they had Hibbert with his verticality. Raptors thought that was the directions of the league. Little did they know.

Comment

• I also don’t think JV could have been that quick regardless of the weight he put on. Skinny JV was still a lumbering kind of centre. Sometime you are what your are.

And Barnes certainly looks capable of being BOTH big and agile.

Comment

• Barnes is definitely not Giannis. I was looking at some Giannis highlights in his summer league. And I'm surprised he fell to 15.

And it sucks for him that the Bucks (namely Kidd and his staff) messed up his shot. His stroke was as good as KD's before he bulked up and turned into what he is now.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Barnes is definitely not Giannis. I was looking at some Giannis highlights in his summer league. And I'm surprised he fell to 15.

And it sucks for him that the Bucks (namely Kidd and his staff) messed up his shot. His stroke was as good as KD's before he bulked up and turned into what he is now.

I don't see a big difference there. I also don't see a great shot, he's mainly making layups with some feet set 3 point shots that look funky to me. Saying he had a KD stroke is uhhh, not what I'm seeing in that clip.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            I also don’t think JV could have been that quick regardless of the weight he put on. Skinny JV was still a lumbering kind of centre. Sometime you are what your are.

And Barnes certainly looks capable of being BOTH big and agile.
                            I'm impressed with how much muscle Barnes has for a 20 year old rookie.

Comparison with rookie AD:

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Actually in some podcast with Blake and some other guys they were saying opposite. He already sees the plays and his mind knows what he needs to do it's just lack of skill or his body not ready to do what his brain wants him to do. So mind wise in their opinion he's ready but it's just about skill now.
                              Well until he does that at NBA lvl, we can't really say it's in his arsenal and with respect to Blake how would anyone know wtf Scottie's body is having difficulty translating? LOL

Can't wait for him to start correcting Pascal on plays hahahaha!

Comment

• Unfortunately 'Suggs vs. Barnes' is going to be a Raptor discussion for the rest of their careers.

https://theathletic.com/2776044/2021...and-surprises/

Scottie Barnes, Raptors
                                Barnes did what was largely anticipated of him in summer league, as well. He’s such a fun, energetic presence on the court. He brings it on both ends, and plays with great intent. Even at an event like this, he played so hard. He played every bit at the level that a top-10 pick should.

The problem is — unfair as it may be — he’s going to be compared for the rest of his career with the people taken around him in the top five. That’s the burden the Raptors put on him by selecting him over Jalen Suggs. Barnes has innate creativity that shines through, but he’s just much more of a project as a ballhandler and playmaker than the other players taken around him. He made some high-level reads as a passer on the move in the halfcourt. There were some positive moments getting to his spots as a scorer. He’s a freight train in transition because of his size. But they were much fewer and farther between than Cunningham, Green, and Suggs. He was much more comfortable out in transition as opposed to a halfcourt creator on the ball. He used his length at times to get to the rim, but just doesn’t quite have the handle yet to be able to consistently create when the game is more condensed.

On top of that, we continued to see many of the same concerns that Barnes displayed at Florida State in terms of scoring efficiency. He can’t shoot from distance yet, and he isn’t a natural finisher in the halfcourt. He made a couple of nice midrange shots that were self-created, but he also made only four of his 15 halfcourt jumper attempts overall. Barnes is going to be a good NBA player, and on some level you have to remove the context from which he was selected by the Raptors in order to evaluate him on his own merits. His performance was positive for a 20-year-old playing his first professional action. But the team used a top-five pick on him over the next guy we’re about to talk about, and every executive I talked to who attended summer league was absolutely effusive about praise for…

Jalen Suggs, Magic
                                Suggs was awesome. He was everything evaluators who loved him thought he was. The numbers may not look that different than Barnes’ (Suggs averaged 15.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists) but remember that he went out after just 11 minutes in his third game due to a minor thumb injury that forced Orlando into shutting him down for the event.

It went beyond the numbers, though. The main thing worth noting with Suggs, though, is that a majority of his offense came perfectly within the run of halfcourt play, in translatable situations to NBA settings. He broke guys down off the bounce to get to the rim with skill and explosion. He hit catch-and-shoot jumpers and took advantage of mismatches both big and small. He made multiple pull-up 3s out of ball-screen actions that he’ll be asked to hit when defenders go under on him. And he was every bit the defender that Orlando thought it was getting when they drafted him, playing terrific on-ball and anticipatory off-ball defense. That included this play, where Suggs completely shut down a 2-on-1 transition opportunity by himself with a block and gathered his miss.

Suggs looked every bit the guy I thought he was pre-draft when I ranked him No. 2 overall. The Magic should hand over the keys to their offense to Suggs to start the year and let him grow through some of the eventual pains that’ll happen as a first-year player in the NBA. His upside is higher than anyone else’s on the roster, a legitimate potential All-Star who plays on both ends of the floor and can take over the game both as a scorer and as a passer.
                                Take this for what you will, but Sam Vecenie sounds a lot like he's trying to defend his pre-draft ranking (see... I was right!)

Comment

Working...
                                X