Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post

There's a reason Draymond played 4 years of college ball. If we were getting Barnes 3 years from now and he had improved his shot and rebounding like Draymond did I'd be happy with the pick.
    The reason Draymond played 4 years was coz he's not NBA ready yet.
    His skill set back then was incomparable to that of Barnes's today.
    With our touted development program, he will exceed all Draymond comparisons in 3 years, IF he puts his mind to it.

Comment

Here's my Olympic level mental gymnastics to try and feel better about this pick.

In the first 10 games of the season Barnes shot 32% from 3 on 25 attempts.

In the final 10 games of the season Barnes shot 0.888 from FT line on 18 attempts.

He averaged more assists per 40 min than Suggs and less TO and PF per 40 than Suggs.

If you remove his crappy NCAA tournament and just look at his ACC conference stats his points per 40 was a respectable 17.9 to go with 7.6 reb and 6.9 ast.

When bending the stats in this way you can see a way for him to be a decent shooter and rebounder and an even better distributor.

If he brings NBA first team defense and develops a respectable 3 and some post moves, he could be pretty damn good.

A lot needs to go right for him to actually be good at these things in the same games and not cherry picking from the beginning and end of his season but I'm doing my best here.

Comment

The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Help us understand, where do you based this passionate assessment of both Suggs and Barnes?

You sounded like you have better insider knowledge than Masai, Webster and Tolzman.

it’s quiet hilarious, sleep on it if I were you lol
        I watched a lot of college ball and read and watched a ton getting ready for the draft. Definitely did enough to have my own informed opinion. I wasn't at the workouts so they got me there.

Comment

If he develops his shot, he will be a good player. If he doesn’t, he’ll be a guy that we will always have to compensate for, just like Bargs or DeMar.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
            If he develops his shot, he will be a good player. If he doesn’t, he’ll be a guy that we will always have to compensate for, just like Bargs or DeMar.
            Bargs or Demar cannot defend with their lives dependent on it.

Comment

I spent the last hour or so watching film.
              I think I see what the raps see - a 6'9" player very similar to og. Strong, fast, flexible, willing to learn, tons of potential. Great defender, and already has a good handle on the ball. Could even play some center. I'm starting to come around.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

I watched a lot of college ball and read and watched a ton getting ready for the draft. Definitely did enough to have my own informed opinion. I wasn't at the workouts so they got me there.
                We are all of equal footing then I’m sure

Comment

Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
                  I spent the last hour or so watching film.
                  I think I see what the raps see - a 6'9" player very similar to og. Strong, fast, flexible, willing to learn, tons of potential. Great defender, and already has a good handle on the ball. Could even play some center. I'm starting to come around.
                  I think this is a Raptors draft pick staple lol. People question it and eventually come around

Comment

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Positionless basketball worked out great last season when we had 11 guards and no playable centers. lol

Comment

• watching this, it feels like they picked the guy they enjoyed being around. I don't know how that will work on the court...we shall see

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          Go get Lonzo and let's go all in on having the best defense in the NBA. Start Barnes at C whenever the opposing C isn't a monster. That gives us 4 good 3pt shooters (Ball, FVV, OG, Siakam) and 4 good distributors (Ball, FVV, Siakam, Barnes). Not much shot creation so play team basketball swinging it and getting good looks to go along with smothering defense. It could work.

Comment

• If he can play the 5 then the pick is great. If he can’t then he probably comes off the bench for the rest of the year. Either way, he probably will struggle defensively as a 5 if he comes off the bench or starts so short term we may not see a lot from him. If he can develop as an initiator and playmaker off the dribble that would be great too. A midrange pull up for him would be unguardable but I’m not sure his mechanics will lend themselves to shooting off the dribble.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Positionless basketball worked out great last season when we had 11 guards and no playable centers. lol
                              True. Let's amed it to position less basketball if you have a guy who is big enough to play center?
                              And one big backup bruiser.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X