X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c-troop wrote: View Post
    Scottie Barnes vs Justin Champagnie

Scottie Barnes vs David Johnson

Looks like Bobby and Masai were watching a lot of ACC basketball down in Florida this year
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Looks like Bobby and Masai were watching a lot of ACC basketball down in Florida this year
      You know what they say, good things start in Florida.

OK they don't say that, but at least something good came out of Florida... right?

Right?!

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, a lot of negativity around the Barnes pick, but his handle is pretty sweet for a guy his size. Not just for aesthetics, but it looks like 'functional' dribbling to get him into spots to gain advantages on the court. Like way better than Pascal and OG. At this point, I'm excited when Pascal and OG don't trip over their own feet or get stripped after 3 dribbles under pressure. I don't see that happening with Barnes. Maybe my expectations have been lowered.
        Where are the negatvity coming from? I read some draft grades and most of them gave the Raptors an A. The lowest was B+(SI and the The Ringer).
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Where are the negatvity coming from? I read some draft grades and most of them gave the Raptors an A. The lowest was B+(SI and the The Ringer).
          I’m talking about the fan base. Even on here: Mixx, Primer and PMars just off the top of my head all pretty down in the pick. Plus I got friends and relatives texting me stuff like…. “I’m okay with Masai leaving if we can get a do-over on the pick.” Lol.

Comment

• Yeah I hate the pick.. trying to be happy with it, but the more videos I watch of him the less happy I get.

I'm supposed to trust Masai here, but he's had a pretty terrible season so far.

Comment

• I watched a couple full games (not highlights) and I was frankly shocked to see that he legitimately plays point guard. Like, he brings the ball up the court, runs pick and roll, makes brilliant pocket passes and lobs to rolling big men while also being able to consistently make the skip pass to the corner three. The best part is that he doesn’t turn the ball over either. He came off the bench in college and played small spurts so his raw stats are going to be understandably low. He also defended mostly at the top kind of like Pascal does, but his entire team was made up of big guys that rebound so his rebounding numbers are not as concerning as I had thought.

Defensively, he’s an absolute monster. He guards one through five legitimately, like matches up with anyone on the floor not just on switches, and he’s active and really smart. Pressures the ball, forces turnovers, and of course doesn’t foul.

What’s so impressive to me is that for being such a raw athlete skill wise, he makes very few mistakes on either side of the ball. If he is given the opportunity to play point and run pick and roll, then I really do see the Magic comparisons. His free throws don’t look that bad, just needs to work on energy transfer. In his recent workouts the free throws and jump shot do look a hell of a lot better (I know, people always say this but I actually think it’s true).

There are still huge question marks but the talent and drive are there and he can without question be the best player from this draft. He also fits with OG Pascal and Fred quite well if he’s given ball handling duties.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                I watched a couple full games (not highlights) and I was frankly shocked to see that he legitimately plays point guard. Like, he brings the ball up the court, runs pick and roll, makes brilliant pocket passes and lobs to rolling big men while also being able to consistently make the skip pass to the corner three. The best part is that he doesn’t turn the ball over either. He came off the bench in college and played small spurts so his raw stats are going to be understandably low. He also defended mostly at the top kind of like Pascal does, but his entire team was made up of big guys that rebound so his rebounding numbers are not as concerning as I had thought.

Defensively, he’s an absolute monster. He guards one through five legitimately, like matches up with anyone on the floor not just on switches, and he’s active and really smart. Pressures the ball, forces turnovers, and of course doesn’t foul.

What’s so impressive to me is that for being such a raw athlete skill wise, he makes very few mistakes on either side of the ball. If he is given the opportunity to play point and run pick and roll, then I really do see the Magic comparisons. His free throws don’t look that bad, just needs to work on energy transfer. In his recent workouts the free throws and jump shot do look a hell of a lot better (I know, people always say this but I actually think it’s true).

There are still huge question marks but the talent and drive are there and he can without question be the best player from this draft. He also fits with OG Pascal and Fred quite well if he’s given ball handling duties.
                This is an important part. After our starting PG's who did we use to bring the ball up the floor and initiate offense (especially with the bench)? Bembry? Stanimal? RHJ prior? He's a step up

Comment

• If he can legit bring up the ball with control and speed with his size he would be scary with a head if steam like lebron or giannis.

Comment

I watched a couple full games (not highlights) and I was frankly shocked to see that he legitimately plays point guard.
                    Worth keeping in mind that he had never played PG until college.

Comment

• Heard in some game commentary Florida State had him playing PG for the first time in his life. Says a lot about potential & room to grow.

Raptors do also like these guys who are a bit underrated because they're coming around late. Some of the highly touted 'Raptors development program' is probably the actual development program, but part of it is maybe drafting guys who are just on the brink of breaking out skill-wise but haven't yet. Then we see it their first couple years in the league, they're just at that stage developmentally.

Edit to add: lol slaw just beat me to it
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Worth keeping in mind that he had never played PG until college.
                        what!?

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Heard in some game commentary Florida State had him playing PG for the first time in his life. Says a lot about potential & room to grow.

Raptors do also like these guys who are a bit underrated because they're coming around late. Some of the highly touted 'Raptors development program' is probably the actual development program, but part of it is maybe drafting guys who are just on the brink of breaking out skill-wise but haven't yet. Then we see it their first couple years in the league, they're just at that stage developmentally.

Edit to add: lol slaw just beat me to it
                          crazy thing is he is only 19 (20 in a few days).

Comment

• I think to get the most out of his skills, it would be smart to push towards being a point guard and playing along side Siakam and OG. The down side is teams will just go under on his pick and rolls, but If he's been working on his shot, we should be encouraging him to shoot what he's been practicing. Looking at his college stats, he averaged 1.66 3PA a game, he's not going to get comfortable shooting them at that rate.

Him, OG, Freddie and Siakam will force a ton of turnovers, they'll be a nightmare on D.

Comment

I watched a couple full games (not highlights) and I was frankly shocked to see that he legitimately plays point guard. Like, he brings the ball up the court, runs pick and roll, makes brilliant pocket passes and lobs to rolling big men while also being able to consistently make the skip pass to the corner three. The best part is that he doesn’t turn the ball over either. He came off the bench in college and played small spurts so his raw stats are going to be understandably low. He also defended mostly at the top kind of like Pascal does, but his entire team was made up of big guys that rebound so his rebounding numbers are not as concerning as I had thought.

If he can play point, wing, and as some considered, Centre in some lineups (while also guarding all the positions on the other end), that's a rare, uber versatile player. If true, I'm already warming up to the pick.

If Lowry is indeed gone I'd rather see him as PG with Fred as SG, from what you're describing. Have him run the pick roll, find cutters, roll men and corners shooters (seems like his court vision is excellent), and facilitate the offence for others. So long as his shot is decent enough so defences don't ignore him, this looks to be his best role on our offence, and it could be very impactful. As a bonus, that also breaks up our double short backcourt, and will reduce the FVV stuffing at the rim (less of a need fo him to force drives trying to playmake)

Then the best part is having the opposing team try to score on a tandem of Fred-Scottie-OG-Siakam. If they can somehow get a good C out of a Lowry SnT or cap space to add to these 4, I can see our rookie starting. Best post I read since the draft Maury, nice that you found that stuff.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                                I think to get the most out of his skills, it would be smart to push towards being a point guard and playing along side Siakam and OG. The down side is teams will just go under on his pick and rolls, but If he's been working on his shot, we should be encouraging him to shoot what he's been practicing. Looking at his college stats, he averaged 1.66 3PA a game, he's not going to get comfortable shooting them at that rate.

Him, OG, Freddie and Siakam will force a ton of turnovers, they'll be a nightmare on D.
                                Hot take: By December, Scottie and Siakam will be shooting the same % from 3 (around league average). That's enough to keep defences honest, and given all the other stuff he's supposed to excel at, he'll be starting at Point Guard. (unless Lowry is still here by then)

Comment

Working...
                                X