Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Just watched the clip from that scrimmage/run. I get that it was light work for most of those guys, but when was the last time someone clamped down a scrimmage like that and footage leaked? I've never seen that. Also, he looks huge. In SL guards immediately passed the ball when he switched on to them. Looks like guards should have done the same at the scrimmage. If this trend continues into the season they're going to have to find a way to start this kid. Not that scrimmages matter. But trends do.
    Summer scrimmages sometimes do matter. I remember watching the Rico Hines runs the summer before Pascal broke out and he was showing all kinds of new stuff there and getting excited about that. Same with Fred, Norm and Boucher. What you're looking for with established players is if they've added something new to their games. With Norm, it was finishing and counters at the rim, which I saw him do first at Rico. With Boucher, it was the 3-ball. With Fred, it was deeeep 3's. All of that ended up translating.

Not really sure what to look for with a rookie like Scottie, but 1-on-1 defense and having great footwork to stay in front of savvy NBA vets should be a transferable skill, no matter what. He wasn't drafted for his offense, so that's reassuring to see.

Comment

• When it comes to defense in scrimmages, I think only double teams and zone are frowned upon. One on one its fair game.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I love that Scottie isn't afraid to go at established players. That's the same mentality guys like Shaq, AI and Kobe had when they would take it to the stars of their era. That's the type of fight and drive he has to have if he wants a shot at being a great player.

Not sure who else from the Raptors were there, but it was nice to see Barnes playing alongside Trent Jr. The more chemistry Barnes builds with his teammates the sooner we will see him move to the starting line up.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          When it comes to defense in scrimmages, I think only double teams and zone are frowned upon. One on one its fair game.
          Joakim Noah, lol.

Comment

• Some more footage of Barnes from the same game but feat' more of GTJ.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Summer scrimmages sometimes do matter. I remember watching the Rico Hines runs the summer before Pascal broke out and he was showing all kinds of new stuff there and getting excited about that. Same with Fred, Norm and Boucher. What you're looking for with established players is if they've added something new to their games. With Norm, it was finishing and counters at the rim, which I saw him do first at Rico. With Boucher, it was the 3-ball. With Fred, it was deeeep 3's. All of that ended up translating.

Not really sure what to look for with a rookie like Scottie, but 1-on-1 defense and having great footwork to stay in front of savvy NBA vets should be a transferable skill, no matter what. He wasn't drafted for his offense, so that's reassuring to see.

The reason its tough to know what to look for is because we are still trying to figure out what he is. The fact that he isn't getting school and is big on defence foot work wise is nutty. He seems to cut really well too.

Comment

• Do people really not like loud, intense and demonstrative players (on your own team)? That's just insane to me.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Do people really not like loud, intense and demonstrative players (on your own team)? That's just insane to me.
                  It can come across like what PatBev does. Just irritating. I like my players that just go out and do their thing. Like Kawhi or OG. No show boating. Just playing hard and trying to win.

Comment

Do people really not like loud, intense and demonstrative players (on your own team)? That's just insane to me.
                    In all fairness, Raptors fans haven't had one of those on their own team to cheer for and have always been on the opposite side of it. If KG played for the Raptors, he'd have quickly been a fan favorite.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

In all fairness, Raptors fans haven't had one of those on their own team to cheer for and have always been on the opposite side of it. If KG played for the Raptors, he'd have quickly been a fan favorite.
                      And any of the guys we have had like that - JYD, AD, Ibaka, Kyle even - Raptor fans have mostly adored, even if they were bums (like broke-down JO)!

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

It can come across like what PatBev does. Just irritating. I like my players that just go out and do their thing. Like Kawhi or OG. No show boating. Just playing hard and trying to win.
                        I don't even get all the hate for PatBev, not that I've paid that much attention to him.

Again, if you've got the chirpiest, most intense, and loudest guys on the court, there's a solid chance you're going to win. Not all your guys can/should be loudmouths, but they can't all be quiet and composed either.

Comment

• Agreed with SkywalkerAC. Also Pat Bev is an extreme version of what we’re talking about. Scottie is no where as bad or unlikeable. Pat I wouldn’t like even if he were on my team.
                          Last edited by GLF; Tue Sep 14, 2021, 01:53 PM.
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                            Agreed with SkywalkerAC. Also Pat Bev is an extreme version of what we’re talking about. Scottie is no where that bad or unliveable. Pat I wouldn’t even like even if he were on my team.
                            Yeah you got to think JYD. Everyone loved JYD cause he was loud, full of positive energy and always played hard.

I see the same characteristics in Barnes.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Yeah you got to think JYD. Everyone loved JYD cause he was loud, full of positive energy and always played hard.

I see the same characteristics in Barnes.
                              Except actually talented. Good combo.

Comment

Except actually talented. Good combo.
                                Heart beats talent and sometimes talent beats heart but its nice to have both.

Comment

Working...
                                X