Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

There’s no reason why he can’t play point forward/playmaker while guarding the biggest player on the court. If Kevin Durant isn’t too good for “center” then neither is Scottie.

i.e. there basically is no centre position in a positionless system.
    Fair point. But I think his defensive ability may not be his ability to guard big big players but his switch-ability. So if we are going true positionless then they should be switching seamlessly all the time.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Fair point. But I think his defensive ability may not be his ability to guard big big players but his switch-ability. So if we are going true positionless then they should be switching seamlessly all the time.
      Well what do teams try to ram down your throat in the clutch - high pick and roll and exploit mismatches fir open shots/3s. Scottie takes both away playing the 5.

It’s almost as if people didn’t watch the Bucks win the championship with Giannis at the 5.
      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Sep 22, 2021, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Why would you assume he’s in to guard a big in the clutch and not for his switch ability?

(honestly what kind of basketball do people think nba crunch time is?)

Comment

• Doesn’t everyone think Nurse wanted Baynes…to be a lot more like Barnes?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Iguodala (Finals MVP) is another example of not starting your best 5. Having a big playmaker off the bench could be considered a tactical advantage, rather than underutilizing him in the starting lineup with other high usage guys.
            Player usages change depending on who they're sharing the court with. You assume he would be underutilized and stand in the corner, but it could very much be he'll take a natural leadership role on the court as a point-forward with a healthy usage, while also reducing Pascal & Fred's usage (which often have been too high to begin with)

But yeah, it could be that he would defer too much to them, who knows - though I don't think Scottie is that kind of player. Point is we won't know for sure unless it's tried.
            Last edited by inthepaint; Wed Sep 22, 2021, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• This whole conversation just tells me that the season can't come fast enough.

Comment

Why would you assume he’s in to guard a big in the clutch and not for his switch ability?

(honestly what kind of basketball do people think nba crunch time is?)
                reread my comment.

I am saying he is in for the switch ability. I was responding to your comment suggesting that he would guard the biggest player like KD.

My point is it doesn't matter. But you want him out there in a situation that maximizes his abilities AS WELL AS those around him.

Comment

Doesn’t everyone think Nurse wanted Baynes…to be a lot more like Barnes?
                  If hes like me, he just wanted him to not suck, and to play with effort, neither of which seemed possible for baynes last year.

Comment

Well what do teams try to ram down your throat in the clutch - high pick and roll and exploit mismatches fir open shots/3s. Scottie takes both away playing the 5.

It’s almost as if people didn’t watch the Bucks win the championship with Giannis at the 5.
                    No I definitely watched it I get the point. I think Giannis is a 5. I think Scottie has a different skill set and hasn't played a real nba second so instead of saying HE IS A CENTER I am saying lets hold off and wait.

Also Giannis is still misused. They iso him way too much and don't have him going down hill enough. Bucks got lucky that he basically hit all his free throws in the final game but I do believe that they were still the better longer bigger team defensively which stalled them out.

Comment

Doesn’t everyone think Nurse wanted Baynes…to be a lot more like Barnes?
                      I don't think so. I think he was meant to be a stop gap with a little of Ibaka and a little of Gasol in him but not as good as either. Definitely not as bad.

Comment

• We’re almost there guys, all the roles will come apparent shortly.

If Scottie improves his shooting, I want him to pg. If he remains stunted in that area, the 5 is an okay solution, if you want him starting. I think he’ll have struggles guarding the 5 though.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                          We’re almost there guys, all the roles will come apparent shortly.

If Scottie improves his shooting, I want him to pg. If he remains stunted in that area, the 5 is an okay solution, if you want him starting. I think he’ll have struggles guarding the 5 though.
                          I agree but having him as point guard or as the lead ball guy may be better. Because it hides his shooting woes early on.

Comment

• Again, if your closing frontcourt is Scottie/Pascal/OG, you don't ask who the "5" is. Because the answer is who fucking cares as long as you're winning.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

What's "eventually" mean to you? If it's this season then I don't think it's gonna happen. We won't need to be making room for Scottie in the starting lineup this year while he's still very raw and doesn't have a shot yet.

Maybe in the offseason but I think you just slide OG to SG and let Barnes play SF and you keep all 3. Trent becomes the 6th man spark plug off the bench. OG > Trent so don't see any reason to ever deal OG, you make room by bumping Trent.
                              By eventually I mean in a year or two, but if by some crazy good fortune Scottie is out playing the starters I would definitely think management would look at options such as moving OG. Of course that would also depend on if OG hasn't made any improvements to his own game. There is a lot of expectation for OG to hit another level this season and there is reference to him following a Kawhi like career trajectory.

OG to sg and Barnes at sf makes a lot of sense too, but my impression of Trent Jr, is that he will be more of a scoring threat for the Raps than OG once he gets to consistently play with starters. That's sort of what we need more on this roster isn't it? Especially since Barnes looks like he's going to give you OG levels of defense in time.

Lots of "if's", but that's my hunch right now.

Comment

Again, if your closing frontcourt is Scottie/Pascal/OG, you don't ask who the "5" is. Because the answer is who fucking cares as long as you're winning.
                                There is a scenario where it does matter though. Because Scottie is a non-shooter, putting him at the C wouldn't be able to draw the opposing C out the paint, ala Batum vs. Gobert. The idea of going small is to create a mis-match and possibly play a key starter on the opposition off the floor. If we're looking to use Scottie's size & skill to create a mis-match, that might be more so at point guard spot for now.
                                Last edited by golden; Thu Sep 23, 2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X