Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

There is a scenario where it does matter though. Because Scottie is a non-shooter, putting him at the C wouldn't be able to draw the opposing C out the patent, ala Batum vs. Gobert. The idea of going small is to create a mis-match and possibly play a key starter on the opposition off the floor. If we're looking to use Scottie's size & skill to create a mis-match, that might be more so at point guard spot for now.
    But all of our Cs don't shoot.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

But all of our Cs don't shoot.
      We have a Trebuchet in our arsenal.

Comment

There is a scenario where it does matter though. Because Scottie is a non-shooter, putting him at the C wouldn't be able to draw the opposing C out the paint, ala Batum vs. Gobert. The idea of going small is to create a mis-match and possibly play a key starter on the opposition off the floor. If we're looking to use Scottie's size & skill to create a mis-match, that might be more so at point guard spot for now.
        Scottie isn't a non-shooter. He just prefers the wide open ones - Fred/Trent/Scottie/Pascal/OG is still a 5-shooter lineup that has our 5 most talented players on the court. Plus it's defense into (soft transition) offense we'd be looking to win with, as per usual.
        Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Sep 23, 2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

We have a Trebuchet in our arsenal.

Comment

• Unsure if this has been posted yet ... a note from Scottie to Raptor fans ... he has a natural p.r. quality to his persona as well! :

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...nba-basketball

Comment

There is a scenario where it does matter though. Because Scottie is a non-shooter, putting him at the C wouldn't be able to draw the opposing C out the paint, ala Batum vs. Gobert. The idea of going small is to create a mis-match and possibly play a key starter on the opposition off the floor. If we're looking to use Scottie's size & skill to create a mis-match, that might be more so at point guard spot for now.
              ding ding ding ding.

That is why I keep suggesting that putting him in the center role is a mistake. If nurse does it I will be super disappointed. As it is Scottie is a non-shooter until he can prove otherwise. In college he struggled to rebound. Maybe that is different in the NBA. I think it will be but you can rebound as a pointguard and push the ball. I don't think we currently fully know what he is but I dont' think starting him at center is the correct answer.

Him as a non-shooter and then hoping that siakam continues to work on his midrange game... when realistically it is siakams ability to carve out space there and work inside with his spin is where problems will arise. It will cramp our space similar to what happened with Baynes vs Gasol. On defence there may be an argument to be made for it perhaps but usually you give a guy multiple looks in our defence right now anyways. Plus Siakam usually covers the back line really well so you more so need guys out on the perimeter funnelling and running out. We have changed the defensive geometry of the court with our length.
              Having him handling the ball or catching it off a pass and going down hill will allow us to exploit his strength. It will also allow for us to grow his ability to suck in defences and make passes. He had a couple good looks in summer league that freddy bungled with his in ability to catch. Like right to the center of Freddies body. This would be much better in other instances where Siakam can catch the ball off a freddy pass inside and the defence starts scrambling and rotating and you make 3 passes with guys going in and out of the lane constantly. Centers who struggle shooting (Scottie if you played him there) will not allow that scheme to work.

Only way that would work is if we had Mobley. We do not currently have Mobley. Interestingly, enough Suggs would of had similar issues with his strength being catching the ball and yamming it down but he wasn't a yammer he liked acrobatic finishes.

The below video demonstrates some of the issues with scottie in the dunker spot.

Comment

^This

If the Raptors decide to go small and use a frontcourt of OG/Siakam/Barnes, OG would be the 5 and guard the other team's 5. I remember a game against the Nuggets last season where the Raps went small, they had OG guarding Jokic the whole game and OG actually did a good job.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

ding ding ding ding.

That is why I keep suggesting that putting him in the center role is a mistake. If nurse does it I will be super disappointed. As it is Scottie is a non-shooter until he can prove otherwise. In college he struggled to rebound. Maybe that is different in the NBA. I think it will be but you can rebound as a pointguard and push the ball. I don't think we currently fully know what he is but I dont' think starting him at center is the correct answer.

Him as a non-shooter and then hoping that siakam continues to work on his midrange game... when realistically it is siakams ability to carve out space there and work inside with his spin is where problems will arise. It will cramp our space similar to what happened with Baynes vs Gasol. On defence there may be an argument to be made for it perhaps but usually you give a guy multiple looks in our defence right now anyways. Plus Siakam usually covers the back line really well so you more so need guys out on the perimeter funnelling and running out. We have changed the defensive geometry of the court with our length.
                  Having him handling the ball or catching it off a pass and going down hill will allow us to exploit his strength. It will also allow for us to grow his ability to suck in defences and make passes. He had a couple good looks in summer league that freddy bungled with his in ability to catch. Like right to the center of Freddies body. This would be much better in other instances where Siakam can catch the ball off a freddy pass inside and the defence starts scrambling and rotating and you make 3 passes with guys going in and out of the lane constantly. Centers who struggle shooting (Scottie if you played him there) will not allow that scheme to work.

Only way that would work is if we had Mobley. We do not currently have Mobley. Interestingly, enough Suggs would of had similar issues with his strength being catching the ball and yamming it down but he wasn't a yammer he liked acrobatic finishes.

The below video demonstrates some of the issues with scottie in the dunker spot.

I'm pretty sure that Nurse will use Scottie like he did RHJ and McCaw. He experimented with having those guys initiate the offense from the above the 3-pt line to force the defense to come out and stop the ball. Other times, yes, he had them spot up in the corners.

Scottie is a huge upgrade on RHJ and McCaw in every possible way and he's a top 5 pick, so I expect to see him initiate the offense quite a bit under Nurse.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Nurse will use Scottie like he did RHJ and McCaw. He experimented with having those guys initiate the offense from the above the 3-pt line to force the defense to come out and stop the ball. Other times, yes, he had them spot up in the corners.

Scottie is a huge upgrade on RHJ and McCaw in every possible way and he's a top 5 pick, so I expect to see him initiate the offense quite a bit under Nurse.
                    yes yes and yes

Comment

• In youtube form this time:

Comment

I mean lets be honest Nurse is just a better coach than doc and that video shows you the reason why.

Comment

Absolutely right. Primary creator or secondary as a screener is a great usage for him, and he can at least dribble and finish at the basket so he should right away be more of a threat than RHJ or McCaw were.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Absolutely right. Primary creator or secondary as a screener is a great usage for him, and he can at least dribble and finish at the basket so he should right away be more of a threat than RHJ or McCaw were.
                            1000%. He is not afraid to shoot or try to go towards the hole. He seems to always make very very good decisions if not the right decision.

Comment

• https://mobile.twitter.com/raptors/s...000487938?s=21
                              Last edited by Scraptor; Thu Sep 30, 2021, 02:19 AM. Reason: Idk how to embed tweets

Comment

• It would be nice if they provided more clips of Scottie during shooting drills. I haven't seen much footage of that since prior to the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X