Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    By next year this kid is giong to be our primary playmaker
    I hope you're right, but primary playmaker includes handling the ball on pick & rolls vs set defences, either threading the needle to hit the big, or finishing yourself through that action (inside or from 3). Right now it's been mostly dribble hand-offs. Things like transition no-look passes and the occasional pass to the cutter that caught the defence napping are cool, but don't make you a primary playmaker.

Not to say he can't get there by next year (certainly has the court vision and handles to do it), but there's quite a bit of development to take place there in my view. Other areas like defence, touch around the rim and transition though, he looks very nba ready and ahead of where I thought he would be.

Comment

• The only way to achieve that is to limit Van Vleet’s role or have him give up the ball early in the shot clock to Scottie and allow the rook to facilitate. Game 2 was a great example of it.

a ball dominant point guard with a scoring mentality will hinder the success of this objective

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
        ...Other areas like defence, touch around the rim and transition though, he looks very nba ready and ahead of where I thought he would be.
        Ahead of where EVERYBODY (except our front office) thought he would be. :-)

Comment

• Scottie, 3 games in:

18p/10r/2a. 113 ORTG. 23% USG.

Leading all rotation players in scoring and on/off net rating, while guarding the opposition’s best player.

Not too shabby.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

I hope you're right, but primary playmaker includes handling the ball on pick & rolls vs set defences, either threading the needle to hit the big, or finishing yourself through that action (inside or from 3). Right now it's been mostly dribble hand-offs. Things like transition no-look passes and the occasional pass to the cutter that caught the defence napping are cool, but don't make you a primary playmaker.

Not to say he can't get there by next year (certainly has the court vision and handles to do it), but there's quite a bit of development to take place there in my view. Other areas like defence, touch around the rim and transition though, he looks very nba ready and ahead of where I thought he would be.
            I truly feel like he can. Look how much he learns within a game. First two games he was doing jab steps in ithe paint and needed to wait that EXTRA second and make that extra pivot. He starting doing that in game 3. Like Nurse said. You gotta get him to exploit his size and agility advantages and just spam that like its some weird fighting video game. It forces the defence to adapt to you and they have to either guard him or guard the 3 point shot. Pick your poison. Add pascal into that and you have two solid guys who can get to the rim at will. If even one of them can shoot at a +30% level you have something big. I agree with what others have outlined though. Simmons could help us but right now isn't hte time.

I also think that our offense will develop but nurse wants his guys to play with space and play defence FIRST. That high level of defence alone is good enough to get you through offensive droughts and keep you in the game. You play a gritty physical style. The bench just needs to step it put.

When Siakam is back I think Barnes stays with the starters but then gets the pull early to allow him to run the bench unit.

Comment

• Comment

• this is also the difference between a 20th pick and a 4th pick.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Scottie, 3 games in:

Leading all rotation players in scoring and on/off net rating, while guarding the opposition’s best player.

Not too shabby.
                  Can’t expect or ask for anything more. He’s been great. He is light years beyond when I watched those tournament game.

Teams will start to dial in on him at some point and he will need to make adjustments but with his skills and physical gifts I don’t see that being a big problem.

Comment

• It can't be a coincidence that this new offense (and defense) the Raps are running seems like its perfectly catered to Scottie. He fits in at both ends effortlessly and seems to have no issues adjusting to it. All the other guys have struggled a bit at one point or another, most often by missing an open teammate for an easy bucket or not knowing when to give the ball up. Scottie always seems to make the correct read, pass, cut or position to be on the floor. The team is putting a lot of faith in him.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      It can't be a coincidence that this new offense (and defense) the Raps are running seems like its perfectly catered to Scottie. He fits in at both ends effortlessly and seems to have no issues adjusting to it. All the other guys have struggled a bit at one point or another, most often by missing an open teammate for an easy bucket or not knowing when to give the ball up. Scottie always seems to make the correct read, pass, cut or position to be on the floor. The team is putting a lot of faith in him.
                      The system is designed for high IQ players…. not specifically built around Scottie. That’s one reason why I think we’ve always had a difficult time building a decent bench under Nurse.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        It can't be a coincidence that this new offense (and defense) the Raps are running seems like its perfectly catered to Scottie. He fits in at both ends effortlessly and seems to have no issues adjusting to it. All the other guys have struggled a bit at one point or another, most often by missing an open teammate for an easy bucket or not knowing when to give the ball up. Scottie always seems to make the correct read, pass, cut or position to be on the floor. The team is putting a lot of faith in him.
                        As they should. He legitmately has all the tools to be a star. Nothing he needs to actually develop from scratch, just improvements. We thought his shooting will need development, but he actually has a mid range jumper and a 3, just needs more improvement. He has the IQ, he can pass, he can handle the ball, he can finish, he already has the size and strength.

He is a lot farther ahead than I thought during the draft.

Comment

The system is designed for high IQ players…. not specifically built around Scottie. That’s one reason why I think we’ve always had a difficult time building a decent bench under Nurse.
                          Bench was fantastic in the year after the title. It started that playoffs where Nurse just refused to play those guys against Boston.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Bench was fantastic in the year after the title. It started that playoffs where Nurse just refused to play those guys against Boston.
                            you mean how he refused to play TD because he put him out for 2 - 3 minutes against the nets and he wracked up 4 fouls?

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

As they should. He legitmately has all the tools to be a star. Nothing he needs to actually develop from scratch, just improvements. We thought his shooting will need development, but he actually has a mid range jumper and a 3, just needs more improvement. He has the IQ, he can pass, he can handle the ball, he can finish, he already has the size and strength.

He is a lot farther ahead than I thought during the draft.
                              I'd argue that he doesn't have a 3 point shot yet but does have a midrange game. and is just smart enough to figure out ways to score.

Comment

Scottie, 3 games in:

Not too shabby.
                                not too shabby?

thats some lebron sh1t the way i see it

i hope he maintains

Comment

Working...
                                X