Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    Kinda worried after the last 2 games that we arn't going to give Scottie enough opportunity to grow with a full line-up. Its pretty blatant he hasn't touched the ball enough.. Both games were losses so really no excuse to say "well the teams rolling, he's young gotta learn on the fly and get his on broken plays/ rebounds".

I think we have pretty simple ways to get him more involved. Give 3-4 of those post up type plays we run for O.G to scottie. He is good out of the post and a willing passer so it is a win-win for everyone. And increase the amount he brings the ball up. He can step in a mid-range, try to catch his defender off guard and drive. If thats not there he can swing and reset to pascal or fred to run a set.

There were way to many strings of possessions where scottie was frozen out, that cant happen when you have such a dynamic player in your repertoire.
    Part of the issue is that Barnes isn't going to force things into bad situations when he gets the ball but the Raps offense is all about guys forcing things into bad situations. Barnes always collects and surveys the floor but usually his teammates are all standing around at the three point line so then he looks to make something happen but if it doesn't right away he moves the ball. I can't stress enough that none of the other main players have been doing that. Trent will get a shot off no matter what, OG also won't pass unless and until he has no choice, and Bad Fred often gets caught up in his own game. Siakam does it but he's just getting his sea legs back and Good Fred took some time off the last few days. It leaves Barnes in a bad spot cause when he passes he ain't getting it back.

golden's point about using him on the elbow makes a lot of sense to me but the other guys have to move and cut and set screens for each other. It won't do anything if they just stand around at the arc watching him and waiting for a pass so they can do their own Harden impersonation.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
      Kinda worried after the last 2 games that we arn't going to give Scottie enough opportunity to grow with a full line-up. Its pretty blatant he hasn't touched the ball enough.. Both games were losses so really no excuse to say "well the teams rolling, he's young gotta learn on the fly and get his on broken plays/ rebounds".

I think we have pretty simple ways to get him more involved. Give 3-4 of those post up type plays we run for O.G to scottie. He is good out of the post and a willing passer so it is a win-win for everyone. And increase the amount he brings the ball up. He can step in a mid-range, try to catch his defender off guard and drive. If thats not there he can swing and reset to pascal or fred to run a set.

There were way to many strings of possessions where scottie was frozen out, that cant happen when you have such a dynamic player in your repertoire.
      These are all good ideas, but what this team needs as well is a true bread-and-butter pick and roll they can go to, like they old Lowry-Serge action. it's a simple play, but even long established players (like Harden & Durant) do a lot, and that can create a lot of strain on the opposing defence. Even if it gets mucked up, there's a usually a corner shooter open after that.

A Siakam-Barnes pick and roll would be very difficult to stop, even more so if they get their 3p% close to league average. Right now our half-court offence is basically 4 things:

--Dribble hand-off song and dance hoping someone cuts
      --Trent midrange heroics
      --Fred rim attacks (against set defences with rim protectors twice his height)
      --OG iso's

They need sets involving Barnes & Siakam on the same play.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

These are all good ideas, but what this team needs as well is a true bread-and-butter pick and roll they can go to, like they old Lowry-Serge action. it's a simple play, but even long established players (like Harden & Durant) do a lot, and that can create a lot of strain on the opposing defence. Even if it gets mucked up, there's a usually a corner shooter open after that.

A Siakam-Barnes pick and roll would be very difficult to stop, even more so if they get their 3p% close to league average. Right now our half-court offence is basically 4 things:

--Trent midrange heroics
        --OG iso's

Van Vleet cannot do a textbook Pick N Roll…thats that

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Van Vleet cannot do a textbook Pick N Roll…thats that
          correct

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

--Trent midrange heroics
            --OG iso's

Yeah, I was watching the Sixers game the other night and they have randoms like Shake Milton and Paul Reed running a picture perfect pick & roll for alley-oop dunks; whereas, our starters (FVV & Precious) can barely connect 1 out 5 times... or so it seems. We're not going very far in the NBA without a PnR game, and some vague threat of an inside game.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, I was watching the Sixers game the other night and they have randoms like Shake Milton and Paul Reed running a picture perfect pick & roll for alley-oop dunks; whereas, our starters (FVV & Precious) can barely connect 1 out 5 times... or so it seems. We're not going very far in the NBA without a PnR game, and some vague threat of an inside game.
              I still cannot understand why Pascal Siakam, Barnes and OG cannot set screens for FVV (or even each other). It is fucking mind-boggling that the only screen and roll is the 1-5 and it is almost perfunctory hoping for a switch onto FVV so he can isolate against the centre, which seems to be the sole purpose of Raptors pick and roll.

This shit isn't rocket science.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I still cannot understand why Pascal Siakam, Barnes and OG cannot set screens for FVV (or even each other). It is fucking mind-boggling that the only screen and roll is the 1-5 and it is almost perfunctory hoping for a switch onto FVV so he can isolate against the centre, which seems to be the sole purpose of Raptors pick and roll.

Once we get that Barnes-Pascal PnR going we'll be in great shape.

Conceptually it makes sense to have the biggest and smallest guys running the action as it is harder to switch, but at a certain point you just have to play to your own players' strengths. I like Barnes as a roller too, he should be able to feast in 4 on 3 situations.

And if we are playing Barnes, Pascal and OG together, one of them should usually be defended by someone too small, and they should be able to leverage that in screen plays - wings and guards are usually not used to defending screeners.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                    Would be a shame if he lost it now that Siakam is back in line up. But future is bright regardless
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Would be a shame if he lost it now that Siakam is back in line up. But future is bright regardless
                      I don't think Siakam's gonna change anything. Barnes was in foul trouble in the 2nd half of the game last night but he still ended up playing 31 minutes.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I don't think Siakam's gonna change anything. Barnes was in foul trouble in the 2nd half of the game last night but he still ended up playing 31 minutes.
                        I think he’s talking about less touches and opportunities for Barnes to put up numbers with Siakam back.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

What I don't understand is how an elite player like FVV can't properly do the PnR.
                          Is it something they don't practice?

Comment

• Zack Lowe just said Delano is #1 in every advanced stat there is (among all rookies).

Scottie talk starts at around 19 mins then goes to Delano

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Zack Lowe just said Delano is #1 in every advanced stat there is (among all rookies).

Scottie talk starts at around 19 mins then goes to Delano

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAHQAAAAAQAQ
                              How great would it be if both Scottie and Delano make the ROY ladder at some point in the year? Scouting department does it once again!

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

RR front page saw this pnr talk on this thread and wrote a piece in the front. I remember it happening before too, we start talking about something here, it gets picked up and someone blogs about it. Next step would the broadcast team picking it up; pretty sure Devlin peruses this forum and reddit actually..

Comment

Working...
                                X