Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

As opposed to Fred "blocked at the rim" Van Vleet
    That Fred’s been largely put away this year thankfully. Making way better decisions there.

Comment

• This just confirms the reason I suspected why we blow a lot of fast break opportunities, i.e., because we never pass the ball back to the wide open trailer, or an open teammate filling the lane. Now we know why FVV always barrels to the rim like he has blinders on and gets blocked all the time. He's just following orders of the coaching staff, which is to be aggressive at all times.

Lowry passes it on fast breaks a lot... and it almost always works, so I guess Nurse couldn't say sh*t to him.

You know, like this:

Comment

• I agree he should attack under control, but it sure would be nice if they would pass to him when he runs the wing and he's open. It's looked off 10 times a game .......

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
          I agree he should attack under control, but it sure would be nice if they would pass to him when he runs the wing and he's open. It's looked off 10 times a game .......
          yeah...I know it's early but I'm getting a lot of early JV vibes...Scottie works and works to get a good position, then he's looked off. Now he's starting to shrug when that happens

Comment

• Good commentary about Scottie from Sam Vecenie of the Athletic’s rookie rankings:

2. Scottie Barnes, Toronto Raptors

Scottie Barnes has had a fascinating start to his career. He’s been remarkably productive so far, averaging 15 points, eight rebounds and three assists per game. He came out of the blocks sprinting for his first seven games, averaging 18 points and looking like a prototypical point forward. He was grabbing and going off the glass, leading the break, making high-level passing reads and generally just pressuring the defensive incessantly. Then he sprained his right thumb, missed a couple of games and has come back and not quite looked the same. A big weapon for Barnes early in that positive run was the ability to stop and pop from midrange when defenders played way off him to slow the freight train down from getting all the way to the rim. In the last eight games since he’s been back, Barnes has made just 34 percent of his attempts in the non-restricted area paint and the midrange, and teams have been more able to just load up and slow him down from getting to the rim due to the fact that he still can’t shoot from 3. It’s resulted in him averaging just 12 points while shooting 43 percent on nearly all 2-point shots. That’s an extremely inefficient way to score.

All of these factors make him one of the toughest players to gauge in the NBA right now. On one hand, Barnes has a legitimate injury that would result in most players taking a significant downturn in shooting efficiency. So he deserves a lot of latitude for the last few weeks. Also, though, Barnes has just simply never made shots before he got to the NBA. I have 35 games worth of high school and AAU stats on Barnes, where he made just 13 of his 58 attempts from 3 (under 25 percent). In 24 games at Florida State, he made just 11 of 40 from 3 and 6 of 19 from the midrange area. In the nine games Barnes played with the Raptors in summer league and in the preseason, he hit just 14 of 42 shots outside of 10 feet (33 percent). That’s almost 70 games worth of data saying he can’t shoot prior to this start of his career. And overall for his NBA career so far, he’s 171st out of 201 players to take at least 40 jumpers in terms of efficiency, posting an effective field goal percentage under 40 percent. But also, it’s clear he’s made strides with the jumper too. There isn’t the hitch that was there in college isn’t really there from the midrange. There is some room for growth.

Barnes’ scoring ability is one of his true swing skills long-term, but he brings so many other things to the table. He plays incredibly hard and brings such a joy to the game. You can feel his energy and presence out there in the most positive possible way. Defensively, his motor never stops running. He attacks the glass, and when he brings the ball down, he has such terrific skills as a transition distributor and driver that it’s hard to slow him down. Even without the jumper, he’s so good as a transition player, as a cutter, and as an offensive rebounder that he can be productive. And his vision is terrific. I loved Barnes pre-draft as the kind of guy who impacts winning at a high-level as a role player due to his switchable defense and ball skill. But there has been just enough flash here thus far to make you believe he can be more than that. If he can turn the shooting into a real threat, allowing him to be a high-level scorer in terms of efficiency and volume, all bets are off. Regardless, it’s hard not to be excited about what he’s shown. The Raptors’ developmental program remains undefeated.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Good commentary about Scottie from Sam Vecenie of the Athletic’s rookie rankings:

2. Scottie Barnes, Toronto Raptors

Scottie Barnes has had a fascinating start to his career. He’s been remarkably productive so far, averaging 15 points, eight rebounds and three assists per game. He came out of the blocks sprinting for his first seven games, averaging 18 points and looking like a prototypical point forward. He was grabbing and going off the glass, leading the break, making high-level passing reads and generally just pressuring the defensive incessantly. Then he sprained his right thumb, missed a couple of games and has come back and not quite looked the same. A big weapon for Barnes early in that positive run was the ability to stop and pop from midrange when defenders played way off him to slow the freight train down from getting all the way to the rim. In the last eight games since he’s been back, Barnes has made just 34 percent of his attempts in the non-restricted area paint and the midrange, and teams have been more able to just load up and slow him down from getting to the rim due to the fact that he still can’t shoot from 3. It’s resulted in him averaging just 12 points while shooting 43 percent on nearly all 2-point shots. That’s an extremely inefficient way to score.

All of these factors make him one of the toughest players to gauge in the NBA right now. On one hand, Barnes has a legitimate injury that would result in most players taking a significant downturn in shooting efficiency. So he deserves a lot of latitude for the last few weeks. Also, though, Barnes has just simply never made shots before he got to the NBA. I have 35 games worth of high school and AAU stats on Barnes, where he made just 13 of his 58 attempts from 3 (under 25 percent). In 24 games at Florida State, he made just 11 of 40 from 3 and 6 of 19 from the midrange area. In the nine games Barnes played with the Raptors in summer league and in the preseason, he hit just 14 of 42 shots outside of 10 feet (33 percent). That’s almost 70 games worth of data saying he can’t shoot prior to this start of his career. And overall for his NBA career so far, he’s 171st out of 201 players to take at least 40 jumpers in terms of efficiency, posting an effective field goal percentage under 40 percent. But also, it’s clear he’s made strides with the jumper too. There isn’t the hitch that was there in college isn’t really there from the midrange. There is some room for growth.

Barnes’ scoring ability is one of his true swing skills long-term, but he brings so many other things to the table. He plays incredibly hard and brings such a joy to the game. You can feel his energy and presence out there in the most positive possible way. Defensively, his motor never stops running. He attacks the glass, and when he brings the ball down, he has such terrific skills as a transition distributor and driver that it’s hard to slow him down. Even without the jumper, he’s so good as a transition player, as a cutter, and as an offensive rebounder that he can be productive. And his vision is terrific. I loved Barnes pre-draft as the kind of guy who impacts winning at a high-level as a role player due to his switchable defense and ball skill. But there has been just enough flash here thus far to make you believe he can be more than that. If he can turn the shooting into a real threat, allowing him to be a high-level scorer in terms of efficiency and volume, all bets are off. Regardless, it’s hard not to be excited about what he’s shown. The Raptors’ developmental program remains undefeated.

^^^ Haven't seen much of those Barnes' intangibles for the last stretch of games.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

yeah...I know it's early but I'm getting a lot of early JV vibes...Scottie works and works to get a good position, then he's looked off. Now he's starting to shrug when that happens
                Meh, he's played like 16 games (missed a couple due to injury). If he's frustrated things aren't going his way he needs to be professional and continue to work hard or harder. Nobody is going to overly trust a rookie when the team is trying to make a comeback. That's when the guys you pay the big bucks to take the big shots, go to work.

Hitting those two back-to-back open 3's yesterday was a nice new wrinkle to Scottie's game though. Prior to those shot attempts I counted several wide open ones he passed up. Hopefully this gives him more confidence to take those because otherwise he's a liability on offense and the the other team is defending 5 on 4.

Comment

• rookie wall
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

rookie wall
                    This along with his first NBA road trip. He'll be fine. Rather he struggle early and get it out of the way.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

This along with his first NBA road trip. He'll be fine. Rather he struggle early and get it out of the way.
                      The only thing you don't want is a serious injury caused indirectly due to fatigue. This assumes that fatigue really is the problem. Anthony Doyle is just a guy who used to post her on RR, so I don't know if he's got any real inside information on Scottie's health.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The only thing you don't want is a serious injury caused indirectly due to fatigue. This assumes that fatigue really is the problem. Anthony Doyle is just a guy who used to post her on RR, so I don't know if he's got any real inside information on Scottie's health.
                        I'd say mental fatigue more than physical. He isn't used to a long road trip playing in multiple different arenas, how to prepare for it, playing in different timezones and so on.

On the bright side, at its very bright on that side. He has been doing a lot of other things like grabbing 13 rebounds or getting 5 assists, through his struggles.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

rookie wall
                          Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to giving scottie a rest day vs Memphis on Wednesday, that gives him 4 full days off until pacers Friday. The schedule has been taxing lately and only the vets have that shit somewhat figured out.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I'd say mental fatigue more than physical. He isn't used to a long road trip playing in multiple different arenas, how to prepare for it, playing in different timezones and so on.

On the bright side, at its very bright on that side. He has been doing a lot of other things like grabbing 13 rebounds or getting 5 assists, through his struggles.
                            Lol, so true. Scottie puts up 10pts/13reb/5ast/2stl, playing the Montrezl Harrell hustle role in our offense and a lot of people are down. Can't wait to see what he's going to be like in year 3.

Comment

• I found it so entertaining but Same people who just the other day scapegoat Siakam have another target in Barnes. Lol

….anyway, one of the benefit of league pass is listening to different commentators around the league saying high praises to the Raptors rookie, one particular play by play analyst of the Warriors stated that he compared Scottie to the other Scottie. So here are some early numbers by the Rookie who “hit a rookie wall”

Code:

Player            From   To  G GS   MP  FG%  3P%  2P% eFG%  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK  PTS
                              Scottie Barnes    2022 2022 16 16 34.9 .480 .250 .500 .490 .720 2.9 5.4 8.4 3.3 1.1 0.6 14.6
                              Scottie Pippen*   1988 1988 79  0 20.9 .463 .174 .475 .466 .576 1.5 2.3 3.8 2.1 1.2 0.7  7.9
                              Provided by Stathead.com: View Stathead Tool Used
                              Generated 11/22/2021.

Comment

• Keyboard warriors tell me the rookie wall isn't real, and yet NBA rookies say it is. Hmmmm not sure who to believe

As players transition into the NBA each year, perhaps one of the toughest adjustments to make is dealing with and preparing for the rigors of an 82-game schedule.

Players coming out of college appear in fewer than 40 games and are forced to nearly double that workload in the NBA. Plus, when taken into account the busy travel schedule, practices and training camp, first-year players often hit the infamous rookie wall at some point.

Miami Heat guard Kendrick Nunn experienced that firsthand this season.

Of course, Nunn arrived in South Beach after playing the 2018-19 season in the G League. He made 49 appearances with the Santa Cruz Warriors and got a taste of the increased workload but it still doesn’t compare to the NBA, as he explained Tuesday in a Q&A on Twitter as part of the “NBA Together” campaign.
                                After a first successful season in the NBA, one thing that I want to improve on going into my second season is how I maintain my body to be able to be prepared for that full season. There was a time in the season where I felt my body had hit a wall and that’s just because I wasn’t used to playing that many games so going into the second season I would definitely take more care of my body and maintenance and be ready for the full season.
                                Pritchard has been having a solid rookie season this year and was asked about if he has hit the rookie wall. “I guess you could say that,” he said. “It’s a grind… it’s my first time going through it… it’s a learning experience. It’s just trying to focus on everything I can focus on to be at my best.”
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X