Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

So they don't care about their 30% share in a multi billion dollar channel? They bought that stake for shits and giggles? If they could own 100% they would but Bell won't sell the rest.
    not as much as they care about their domestic market. Bell can't sell. The way I understand it Canada has restrictions on foreign ownership of media companies.
    Last edited by MixxAOR; Mon Dec 20, 2021, 10:52 PM.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

That was me. The point wasn't Cleveland > Toronto, since Cavs and Raptors both foils for the big markets. The point is that ESPN would prefer ANY American market over Toronto and whether or not that factors into the hype of Mobley over Barnes. It definitely factors into the ratings that advertisers make decisions on and I'm not an expert on how the non-US pie gets allocated, so I'll defer to you on that.

My guess is that the Raptors getting back to the NBA finals would give the networks a heart attack. The network's dream scenario is: Steph vs. Lebron in the WCF and KD vs. the Bulls (or maybe Giannis) in the ECF.

International viewership and the NBA's globalization strategy is a different topic altogether. Canada is a tiny fish compared to what the league has it sights set on worldwide. 30M population (of mostly hockey and curling fanatics) is miniscule. Heck, even beyond Europe & China, the league is planting seeds and investing in Africa to capitalize on expected market growth down the road.
      5.1% of the Canadian population identifies as of ethnic Chinese origin compared to 1.5% of Americans.

Toronto has more Chinese than every city in the USA except New York city. Chinese make up 9.5% of New York city and 21.5% of Toronto.

If you want to appeal to the Chinese market there is no better city in North America than Toronto, and Canada is a far more approachable market than the USA due to a higher concentration of Chinese and nowhere near the adversarial relationship between the two countries.

Here's an article from the NBA themselves describing how important the Raptors are to the Chinese market. https://www.nba.com/raptors/importan...nese-community

Comment

• Who gets to vote on these annual awards?

Sportswriters and broadcasters.
        majority of them Americans.
        Scottie is an American and is playing for a Canadian team.

These voters picked a Greek Nigerian player who's playing on a small market team as MVP.
        twice.

I don't think the tv networks have anything to do with that.
        Last edited by Kagemusha; Tue Dec 21, 2021, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Can we pleeeease bring this back to Scottie Stuff? I’m sure he must have posted something on Instagram

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
            Can we pleeeease bring this back to Scottie Stuff? I’m sure he must have posted something on Instagram
            All these postponed games leads to random topics. When we start playing again things will get back to praising Scottie.

Comment

All these postponed games leads to random topics. When we start playing again things will get back to praising Scottie.
              praise be?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                Can we pleeeease bring this back to Scottie Stuff? I’m sure he must have posted something on Instagram
                man scottie is so good that even when he isn't playing basketball I dream about him playing basketball.

Is that good?

Comment

• When this team is at full strength what will the 3 headed monster of Pascal, OG, and Scottie look like? Short term/long term can we keep all 3? There does seem o be a lot of duplication but enough differences to make it work. Will we stay small ball or does one get relegated to coming off the bench?
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                    When this team is at full strength what will the 3 headed monster of Pascal, OG, and Scottie look like? Short term/long term can we keep all 3? There does seem o be a lot of duplication but enough differences to make it work. Will we stay small ball or does one get relegated to coming off the bench?
                    I would expect if anyone gets relegated to the bench to avoid small ball it is Trent. His game fits best off the bench of those four anyway (ability to create and make some tough shots while our playmakers get some rest).

The question is, do they bench Trent, or do they go small? The small look has been pretty bad this year. I'd hope they start a nominal C, if for no other reason than to ensure there are minutes for both Birch and Precious, who both deserve to be in the rotation. I guess the other question is which C they start, but at this point that debate now feels like a luxury.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

5.1% of the Canadian population identifies as of ethnic Chinese origin compared to 1.5% of Americans.

Toronto has more Chinese than every city in the USA except New York city. Chinese make up 9.5% of New York city and 21.5% of Toronto.

If you want to appeal to the Chinese market there is no better city in North America than Toronto, and Canada is a far more approachable market than the USA due to a higher concentration of Chinese and nowhere near the adversarial relationship between the two countries.

Here's an article from the NBA themselves describing how important the Raptors are to the Chinese market. https://www.nba.com/raptors/importan...nese-community
                      Before we get back to Scottie talk, let me respond to this... in my best Primer imitation:

What the actually fuck? How fucking ignorant are you? Do you have any fucking clue that "Chinese" are not a single homogeneous group, no more than Black Americans are the same as native-born Africans? That group you cited in the article are mostly (if not all) Hong Kong Cantonese and probably CBCs (Canadian Born Chinese). Just check out the spelling of the names: Cam, Chan, Cheng, Chu, Lee. From a marketing standpoint, the group in the article zero relevance to the mainland Chinese group that the NBA is marketing to. If anything, the NBA alienated that same Hong Kong/Cantonese population after the Morey tweet, backing the government. Do you actually know any "Chinese" people personally. I highly doubt it. Holy fuck.

Now... back to Scottie. lol. A bigger Kawhi... with playmaking.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I would expect if anyone gets relegated to the bench to avoid small ball it is Trent. His game fits best off the bench of those four anyway (ability to create and make some tough shots while our playmakers get some rest).

The question is, do they bench Trent, or do they go small? The small look has been pretty bad this year. I'd hope they start a nominal C, if for no other reason than to ensure there are minutes for both Birch and Precious, who both deserve to be in the rotation. I guess the other question is which C they start, but at this point that debate now feels like a luxury.
                        I think I'd like to see both Scottie and Trent with the bench when we're resting Fred, to add playmaking to Trent's shooting. It'd mean that either there would be some time where Scottie is not playing with the starters, or there'd need to be some time where there are other starters playing with the bench (Fred + Pascal, maybe)? Even when we're healthy, I don't think our bench has truly been four players deep this year.

Matching this up to our current C's and current bench, maybe Scottie/Trent/Precious plus the bench (including Yuta) and Fred/Pascal/Khem (including Banton)?

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                          When this team is at full strength what will the 3 headed monster of Pascal, OG, and Scottie look like? Short term/long term can we keep all 3? There does seem o be a lot of duplication but enough differences to make it work. Will we stay small ball or does one get relegated to coming off the bench?
                          Scottie isn't going anywhere, but short term I can't see Pascal or OG being moved either. Long term I'd rather see a line up of FVV, Trent, Scottie, one of OG or Siakam and an upgrade at C (maybe moving one of OG or Pascal can get us that upgrade). Prior to the start of the season I was leaning towards OG being the guy eventually moved, but I think his ability to hit shots from the perimeter may work better with Scottie's ability to work in the paint and find open guys. The plan has to be to put the right pieces around Scottie.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

I think I'd like to see both Scottie and Trent with the bench when we're resting Fred, to add playmaking to Trent's shooting. It'd mean that either there would be some time where Scottie is not playing with the starters, or there'd need to be some time where there are other starters playing with the bench (Fred + Pascal, maybe)? Even when we're healthy, I don't think our bench has truly been four players deep this year.

Matching this up to our current C's and current bench, maybe Scottie/Trent/Precious plus the bench (including Yuta) and Fred/Pascal/Khem (including Banton)?
                            love this stagger method

Comment

Before we get back to Scottie talk, let me respond to this... in my best Primer imitation:

What the actually fuck? How fucking ignorant are you? Do you have any fucking clue that "Chinese" are not a single homogeneous group, no more than Black Americans are the same as native-born Africans? That group you cited in the article are mostly (if not all) Hong Kong Cantonese and probably CBCs (Canadian Born Chinese). Just check out the spelling of the names: Cam, Chan, Cheng, Chu, Lee. From a marketing standpoint, the group in the article zero relevance to the mainland Chinese group that the NBA is marketing to. If anything, the NBA alienated that same Hong Kong/Cantonese population after the Morey tweet, backing the government. Do you actually know any "Chinese" people personally. I highly doubt it. Holy fuck.

The data I quoted is Canadians who self identify as ethnically Chinese, they are literally saying they are Chinese. Canada also has the highest immigration rate from China. So your little diatribe doesn't counteract any of the data, it's just your anecdotal opinion. Toronto has more ethnically Chinese than any other city in North America except New York and it has the highest concentration of ethnically Chinese of any city in North America by a large margin.

Comment

You were right lots of time, love that 'A bigger Kawhi... with playmaking', but I disagree on Toronto is not important to mainland Chinese market.

As a Chinese-Canadian from mainland 22 years ago, I can see Toronto market is quite important to mainland Chinese market.
                                Actually, Toronto is a great market if you want international exposure. Just look at how many fans Yuta got in Toronto, where else can he get these fans?
                                My daughter&son's school all play basket-ball, soccer, volleyball,1 in 10 play hockey, heck more baseball playing kids than hockey.
                                Every year in last 2.5 decades, 100K+ affluent Chinese came from mainland China, many more if you add students, most of them stay, some went back,
                                all have lots of relatives and friends in mainland China. Many are rich and have large influence.
                                Remember how popular was Jeremy Lin in Toronto, he is not even from mainland.

So yeah, Toronto is a great market for international exposure.

Comment

Working...
                                X