Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

His team is dogshit, 4th worst in the NBA. He put up nice stats in an OT game, don't get too excited.

He's a bad shooter. .418 FG and .267 3PT on the season.

His ORtg is 97, which is abysmal. Outside of 10ft his offense is worthless.

Scottie scores more, has better %'s across the board (FG, FT, 3PT), rebounds the same, plays better defense, and all on much lower usage.

I don't think he's a bad player but he has a lot of limitations and Scottie is definitely better.

He may end up ranked higher just due to usage, but he's not the better player.
    that's the thing people focus on highlights. It's why Jalen Green went number 2 instead of Mobley or Barnes. Barnes is without question a better player now and will be in the future more than likely. He has better athletic gifts. Giddey as you said can't shoot. He struggles with his ability to finish inside too. Defensively he is OK and has a shorter wing span. He will end up being really good but he has a long way to go. The hot takey type comments where he is suddenly better than barnes is silly.

Even looking at PER Barnes is 15.1 vs 13.6. Barnes has a lesser role because he is on a better team. THAT IS OK. I only find it impressive if Giddey did that on higher efficiency regardless of the team he is on. Barnes is relatively efficient while also contributing majorly on a team that realistically is not a lottery bound team. David Thorpe discussed it this morning on the morning show with blake murphy.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

that's the thing people focus on highlights. It's why Jalen Green went number 2 instead of Mobley or Barnes. Barnes is without question a better player now and will be in the future more than likely. He has better athletic gifts. Giddey as you said can't shoot. He struggles with his ability to finish inside too. Defensively he is OK and has a shorter wing span. He will end up being really good but he has a long way to go. The hot takey type comments where he is suddenly better than barnes is silly.

Even looking at PER Barnes is 15.1 vs 13.6. Barnes has a lesser role because he is on a better team. THAT IS OK. I only find it impressive if Giddey did that on higher efficiency regardless of the team he is on. Barnes is relatively efficient while also contributing majorly on a team that realistically is not a lottery bound team. David Thorpe discussed it this morning on the morning show with blake murphy.
      A few comments up someone compared Giddey to Steve Nash, which is just batshit insane. Giddey is never gonna be even close to Steve Nash. [If it was made in jest then you got me, that's funny]

Comment

A few comments up someone compared Giddey to Steve Nash, which is just batshit insane. Giddey is never gonna be even close to Steve Nash. [If it was made in jest then you got me, that's funny]
        I said he LOOKED like Steve Nash, the way he passed the ball and shot in those clips. Not sure how it's "bat shit insane" when the kid is collecting triple doubles as a teenager..but we can call scottie barnes Magic Johnson and go "ahm yes very good observation"
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I said he LOOKED like Steve Nash, the way he passed the ball and shot in those clips. Not sure how it's "bat shit insane" when the kid is collecting triple doubles as a teenager..but we can call scottie barnes Magic Johnson and go "ahm yes very good observation"
          does he do the around the net circle like nash?

Comment

Steve Nash was shooting over .400 from 3PT out of the gate, he was always an elite shooter. How can Giddey look like Steve Nash shooting when he's a terrible shooter. Steve Nash was also never a triple double guy, not a great rebounder. The comparison just doesn't make sense unless you meant he literally looks like Steve Nash because they're both white.

Comment

Steve Nash was shooting over .400 from 3PT out of the gate, he was always an elite shooter. How can Giddey look like Steve Nash shooting when he's a terrible shooter. Steve Nash was also never a triple double guy, not a great rebounder. The comparison just doesn't make sense unless you meant he literally looks like Steve Nash because they're both white.
              My bad, what I should have said:

The way he flies in and makes no look one hand passes with court vision reminds me of watching Steve nash. However*** let the jury know the records state I must never indicate this is a direct comparison, as Giddey gets rebounds and is a poor shooter. Please forgive me for making an indirect comparison to a particular set of skills.

And yes, of course his long shaggy hair and pasty skin is part of the reminder.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

A good time to reminisce on this pre-draft take. This is peak Primer.

Primer wrote: View Post

What in the holy fuck. Some of you guys are absolutely insane. Barnes is nothing like Kawhi. Not At All.

Barnes absolutely sucks on offense. He's an extremely shitty rebounder for his size as well, something you guys never bother mentioning but he has less than half the rebounds per game of any stupid comparison you throw up. Barnes is going to have to play PF in the NBA and he doesn't rebound well enough for that.

Barnes is a very far less talented Ben Simmons. He's Simmons if he was significantly worse at everything. At least Simmons is a good rebounder.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Seems kinda pointless to bring this up since we're talking about how guys are playing this season. Very Claw of you.

I watched a decent amount of Barnes in college and he wasn't this good. Very happy to be wrong as I've said about a dozen times already.

Comment

To be fair, almost everybody in the fan base initially hated the pick and nobody thought Scottie would be as good as he has been so far.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

To be fair, almost everybody in the fan base initially hated the pick and nobody thought Scottie would be as good as he has been so far.
                      I saw him play twice in the tournament and was thoroughly unimpressed. Could not believe he was even being talked about as a top-10 pick. Given that I never watch college ball, this was a good reminder to me never to comment on the draft....

Comment

Seems kinda pointless to bring this up since we're talking about how guys are playing this season. Very Claw of you.

I watched a decent amount of Barnes in college and he wasn't this good. Very happy to be wrong as I've said about a dozen times already.
                        The point is that it's difficult to project rookies even 1 month ahead, let alone saying a guy will NEVER be as good as so & so, halfway through his rookie season. The vision and some elements of timing and pace are similar. Not something to be called "batshit insane" to be observing.

Steve Nash averaged 8.6 points per game in his 4th season at age 25. Giddey is only 19. There's a long way to go. The shooting is the main thing that will hold Giddey back. ORTG for a rookie should be looked at in context for ball-handlers, because TOV% has a big impact on ORTG. That will go down over time.

I wouldn't worry too much about ORTG in this case. Nash had a 99 ORTG in his 3rd season at age 24. Nobody was predicting HoF'er for Nash at that point, and sure... it's a very unlikely possibility for ANY player, so that's a good bet on your part... but Giddey's off to a way better start than Nash.

Comment

The point is that it's difficult to project rookies even 1 month ahead, let alone saying a guy will NEVER be as good as so & so, halfway through his rookie season. The vision and some elements of timing and pace are similar. Not something to be called "batshit insane" to be observing.

Steve Nash averaged 8.6 points per game in his 4th season at age 25. Giddey is only 19. There's a long way to go. The shooting is the main thing that will hold Giddey back. ORTG for a rookie should be looked at in context for ball-handlers, because TOV% has a big impact on ORTG. That will go down over time.

I wouldn't worry too much about ORTG in this case. Nash had a 99 ORTG in his 3rd season at age 24. Nobody was predicting HoF'er for Nash at that point, and sure... it's a very unlikely possibility for ANY player, so that's a good bet on your part... but Giddey's off to a way better start than Nash.
                          Yeah, I'm still very confident Giddey will never be as good as Nash. He's a good passer, but the similarities stop there. Very different players in all other respects. Giddey plays more like Magic than he does Nash, if we want to throw out the same high hopes comparison we have for Barnes.

Comment

To be fair compared to Kawhi this isn't wrong.. everyone sucks compared to an android.

Comment

To be fair compared to Kawhi this isn't wrong.. everyone sucks compared to an android.
                              I hate iPhone too.

Comment

does he do the around the net circle like nash?
                                AND Freddy All Star?

Comment

Working...
                                X