Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Larry Johnson (LJ2) is another good comparison.
    LOL, I could see Scottie in the grandmama dress but I that's about where the comparison would end.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

LOL, I could see Scottie in the grandmama dress but I that's about where the comparison would end.
      Coming from LJ2, that hurts. lol. But seriously, Larry Johnson was kind of the first wave of do-it-all power forwards. He could post-up, shoot, dribble and pass. Defense is another story, but you could count on LJ2 for some blocks and steals. Of course, body type was different, but both LJ and Scottie use their frame to great effect (i.e. bully ball).

Comment

Larry Johnson (LJ2) is another good comparison.
        I'll accept "any big forward that played in 1992 or earlier"
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Coming from LJ2, that hurts. lol. But seriously, Larry Johnson was kind of the first wave of do-it-all power forwards. He could post-up, shoot, dribble and pass. Defense is another story, but you could count on LJ2 for some blocks and steals. Of course, body type was different, but both LJ and Scottie use their frame to great effect (i.e. bully ball).
          Fair points. Where they differ though sort of defines who the players are. Scottie is more of a lead the open break, dissect you with passes you don't see coming and sky hook you in the paint type of player right now. Larry's post game was a lot of bully ball into a fade away sort of like a shooting guard. That's why I like the C-Webb comparison because Webber could really do it all, lead the fast break, find open guys and score himself. Much more well rounded than Larry, especially early in LJ's career.

Not going to make any statements though. Scottie is evolving so quickly we could be comparing him to Steph next year

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'll accept "any big forward that played in 1992 or earlier"
            One of my friends says he looks like rookie Charles Barkley, so there may be something to that!

Seriously, it's tough to find a good comp for Barnes. I've always leaned into a young Lamar Odom (right down to the funky looking hook/push shot), though, he isn't as polished as Odom was in terms of his perimeter game but is more of a presence inside.

Pippen had more finesse to his game and was more of a perimeter player, whereas, current Barnes operates better inside than off the dribble from the perimeter. Not sure about that one yet. I don't get the Draymond Green comparison at all unless it's defensively but there are lots of bigger guys now around the league guarding multiple positions (hell, Toronto has 3 or 4 of them alone). Comparing anyone to Magic is tough cause he was not only a generational player but completely unique as well.

Comment

• Hahaha. If Cade is ahead of Scottie in your "rookie ladder" then you have no idea what the hell you're talking about period. I'm not even being homer here.

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-...6-2022-edition
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• i dont know if there is much of a difference between the words "really" and "very" but redick appears to agree with me about the toronto raptors minus one more "really"....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAS-y-LiOns

rookie of the month could came down to thursdays game.....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

One of my friends says he looks like rookie Charles Barkley, so there may be something to that!

Seriously, it's tough to find a good comp for Barnes. I've always leaned into a young Lamar Odom (right down to the funky looking hook/push shot), though, he isn't as polished as Odom was in terms of his perimeter game but is more of a presence inside.

Pippen had more finesse to his game and was more of a perimeter player, whereas, current Barnes operates better inside than off the dribble from the perimeter. Not sure about that one yet. I don't get the Draymond Green comparison at all unless it's defensively but there are lots of bigger guys now around the league guarding multiple positions (hell, Toronto has 3 or 4 of them alone). Comparing anyone to Magic is tough cause he was not only a generational player but completely unique as well.
                  Floor= CWebb
                  Ceiling = Magic

Good enough?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Yeah there's no real good comp for him. Guy can work as your PG, C or anything in between as needed on both ends of the floor, and is an excellent defender. All he needs is clean up the turnovers on his flashy passes and raise his 3p%, which he's got tons of time to do.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Floor= CWebb
                      Ceiling = Magic

Good enough?
                      There's zero Chris Webber in Scottie's game. Webber's a true PF who can pass. Scottie is a wing initiator/scorer.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                        Hahaha. If Cade is ahead of Scottie in your "rookie ladder" then you have no idea what the hell you're talking about period. I'm not even being homer here.

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-...6-2022-edition
                        the issue is ESPN slated Cade up from day one and is trying to push that narrative. Don't get me wrong Cade is good but still. Then when they talk about Scottie its for 30 seconds to be like.. ya we are discounting him.. so anyways about cadeeeeeee.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

There's zero Chris Webber in Scottie's game. Webber's a true PF who can pass. Scottie is a wing initiator/scorer.
                          If Webber played today, he'd be like Scottie.
                          Likewise, Scottie would be CWebb in the 90s.

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/video/w...ch-mobley-roy/

Comment

• The narrative that Scottie still has to "catch" Mobley is stupid. They should be neck and neck and Cade could get some consideration but ultimately shouldn't be close to Scottie or Mobley.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

The narrative that Scottie still has to "catch" Mobley is stupid. They should be neck and neck and Cade could get some consideration but ultimately shouldn't be close to Scottie or Mobley.
                                He'll catch em tonight
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X