No announcement yet.

Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavs seem to hide Mobley on defense and give the all star big to Allen, meanwhile Raps give Barnes the toughest guy...
    With all due respect to how great Mobley has been in his role for the Cavaliers, he hasn't had to play outside of his position much. Defense is supposed to be Mobley's greatest advantage over anyone in the Rookie of the Year race, but his assignments haven't been anywhere near as tough as Barnes'.

If you look at the NBA stats matchup data, Barnes' most frequent matchups (by partial possessions per game) looks like an All-Star team compared to Mobley's.
    Barnes' matchups Partial Poss. Mobley's matchups Partial Poss.
    Mikal Bridges 34.5 Keldon Johnson 33.8
    Bam Adebayo 29.2 Ivica Zubac 29.9
    Khris Middleton 28.2 Myles Turner 29.8
    Marcus Morris Sr. 28.1 Bam Adebayo 27.9
    James Harden 28.0 Miles Bridges 27.9
    Kevin Durant 27.6 Kessler Edwards 27.8
    Russell Westbrook 25.9 Nerlens Noel 25.9
    Evan Mobley 25.5 Jaren Jackson Jr. 25.0
    Mo Bamba 24.2 Wes Iwundu 23.0
    Jayson Tatum 20.7 Maxi Kleber 22.2
    Anthony Edwards 20.2 Wendell Carter Jr. 22.1
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 19.9 Kristaps Porzingis 22.0
    Lonzo Ball 19.9 Jae'Sean Tate 21.4
    Draymond Green 19.2 Scottie Barnes 20.9
    Jusuf Nurkic 18.8 Christian Wood 20.9
    In fact, according to the Basketball Index, Barnes grades out as the most versatile defender in the entire NBA (min. 1,000 minutes played).

Barnes' breakdown of defensive assignments by position is eye-opening.
    Barnes Position Mobley
    17.7 PG 8.7
    17.4 SG 8.9
    22.2 SF 16.7
    20.4 PF 31.5
    22.3 C 34.2
    This isn't to say that defensive versatility is the end-all, be-all to decide who has been the better defender. Mobley plays a very different defensive role than Barnes and has proven to be a switchy defender in his own right. That flexibility has allowed him to fit seamlessly next to a traditional center like Jarrett Allen, and Cleveland's defense is significantly better because of it.

Mobley has been one of the best rim protectors in the NBA, holding opponents to just 50.2 percent shooting at the rim, which is a lower mark than a known defensive anchor like Joel Embiid (58.3 percent) and right on par with reigning Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert (51.7 percent).

Even so, the versatility numbers do show that Barnes has faced tougher challenges on that end of the floor. Barnes has been a better offensive player than Mobley and there isn't as big of a defensive gap between them as being made out to be.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Cavs seem to hide Mobley on defense and give the all star big to Allen, meanwhile Raps give Barnes the toughest guy...

Mobley will be an All NBA level defender, but you can't deny that he definitely has it easy playing with Allen.

Barnes' defense is kind of underrated. His on ball defense needs some work, but his team/help defense is phenomenal.

Comment

Cavs seem to hide Mobley on defense and give the all star big to Allen, meanwhile Raps give Barnes the toughest guy...

Barnes is a rare player that can legit play 1 through 5 on on both offence and defence.

Comment

also lost in the fellating of mobley's defensive prowess is the fact that their defence has been bad without allen. their drtg for the season is 108.5 and in 8 games without mobley the opponent's average ortg is 118.4.

let's hang 130 on them tonight and have scottie go for 30 again.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

also lost in the fellating of mobley's defensive prowess is the fact that their defence has been bad without allen. their drtg for the season is 108.5 and in 8 games without mobley the opponent's average ortg is 118.4.

let's hang 130 on them tonight and have scottie go for 30 again.
            And this is the big problem I have with media narratives. Mobley's ROY case was built early on, based on the so-called fact that he's "the best defensive prospect since Tim Duncan."

But you take away Jarrett Allen and Mobley's defensive impact has been somewhat exposed. It's not Duncan'eque... that's for sure. But the media narrative isn't changing - it's entrenched.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And this is the big problem I have with media narratives. Mobley's ROY case was built early on, based on the so-called fact that he's "the best defensive prospect since Tim Duncan."

But you take away Jarrett Allen and Mobley's defensive impact has been somewhat exposed. It's not Duncan'eque... that's for sure. But the media narrative isn't changing - it's entrenched.
              Passing Cleveland alone may not be enough. No matter how good the Raps do, Cleveland outperformed their own expectations more than Toronto did.

Comment

They haven't just taken away Jarrett Allen though, Rondo and Sexton have been out as well and you know how the bigs get exposed when point of attack is porous. I don't know how good Duncan was in his rookie season, but I doubt he was as good as what he became. Duncan also had the Admiral and a Pop coached defense in front of him. Let's cut Mobley a bit of slack here, nobody should me making him sound like anything but a complete stud the way he's played this season.

Having said that, Barnes is way more versatile being able to defend all positions and with his ability to create for his teammates. Mobley is more polished and there in lies the higher ceiling for Barnes who has yet to start that process. Mobley wins ROY because it's a popularity contest like you say.

Comment

Passing Cleveland alone may not be enough. No matter how good the Raps do, Cleveland outperformed their own expectations more than Toronto did.
                  And again, that's narrative & opinion-based. Raps were also in the lottery last year and a lot of people picked them to be there again this year. Darius Garland is the offensive engine and Jarrett Allen is the defensive engine. Both of those guys, especially Garland, made a huge leap this year... but the winning impact seems to be getting disproportionately given to Mobley.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

They haven't just taken away Jarrett Allen though, Rondo and Sexton have been out as well and you know how the bigs get exposed when point of attack is porous. I don't know how good Duncan was in his rookie season, but I doubt he was as good as what he became. Duncan also had the Admiral and a Pop coached defense in front of him. Let's cut Mobley a bit of slack here, nobody should me making him sound like anything but a complete stud the way he's played this season.

Having said that, Barnes is way more versatile being able to defend all positions and with his ability to create for his teammates. Mobley is more polished and there in lies the higher ceiling for Barnes who has yet to start that process. Mobley wins ROY because it's a popularity contest like you say.
                    Tim duncan was 1st team all nba as a rookie. He was a top 5 player in the world as soon as he left wake forest.

There is no comparison. if Mobley is duncan then Barnes is lebron. That's how big the gap is.

Comment

And again, that's narrative & opinion-based. Raps were also in the lottery last year and a lot of people picked them to be there again this year. Darius Garland is the offensive engine and Jarrett Allen is the defensive engine. Both of those guys, especially Garland, made a huge leap this year... but the winning impact seems to be getting disproportionately given to Mobley.
                      Oh of course I agree. Mobley gets a ton of credit for the resurgence, while Raps were supposed to suck after losing lowry and sucking last year. Barnes gets little credit because apparently now he's surrounded by "championship pedigree"

Comment

Sports is about narratives. Some use it to fit their agenda. Like DeRozan/Lowry for example. You see it all the time from dumb fans here how DeRozan's a playoff choker. DeRozan was their #1 option during that era and he led them along with Lowry to ECF in 2016. He AND Lowry had bad playoff games/moments during their time here but they always bounced back with a monster game the next game. That's what I remember the most. So if DeRozan's playoff choker then is Lowry also a playoff choker? or do we forget about the bad Lowry playoff games because he won a championship?

Mobley/Cade/Barnes another one. To me this is a 2 man race. Mobley and Barnes and there's a big gap. Cade has no business being in this convo but he's 2nd on NBA rookie ladder and he's also #2 on ESPN rankings. The NBA is clearly pushing Cade as a star.

In hockey, come on. People need to stop comparing Matthews to McDavid. There's no rivalry. This ain't Gretzky and Lemieux. I get what they're doing though. They're trying to hype up Matthews. Matthews is a good player but nowhere near McDavid's level. That's just the truth.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Sports is about narratives. Some use it to fit their agenda. Like DeRozan/Lowry for example. You see it all the time from dumb fans here how DeRozan's a playoff choker. DeRozan was their #1 option during that era and he led them along with Lowry to ECF in 2016. He AND Lowry had bad playoff games/moments during their time here but they always bounced back with a monster game the next game. That's what I remember the most. So if DeRozan's playoff choker then is Lowry also a playoff choker? or do we forget about the bad Lowry playoff games because he won a championship?

Mobley/Cade/Barnes another one. To me this is a 2 man race. Mobley and Barnes and there's a big gap. Cade has no business being in this convo but he's 2nd on NBA rookie ladder and he's also #2 on ESPN rankings. The NBA is clearly pushing Cade as a star.

In hockey, come on. People need to stop comparing Matthews to McDavid. There's no rivalry. This ain't Gretzky and Lemieux. I get what they're doing though. They're trying to hype up Matthews. Matthews is a good player but nowhere near McDavid's level. That's just the truth.
                          And neither one could shine Crosbys shoes.

Comment

• Maybe we can get Drake to endorse Mobley for ROY, thereby ensuring Barnes wins it ....

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Taking away Sexton straight up improves your defense. He's a microwave bucket-getter, not a defender... in the Lou Williams mode. And Rondo admitted, something like 5 years ago, that he hadn't played defense in years. Playoff Rondo is different. So, I would argue that taking away Rondo and Sexton is actually helping Mobley on defense, which is where his HoF reputation has already been made.

Comment

Taking away Sexton straight up improves your defense. He's a microwave bucket-getter, not a defender... in the Lou Williams mode. And Rondo admitted, something like 5 years ago, that he hadn't played defense in years. Playoff Rondo is different. So, I would argue that taking away Rondo and Sexton is actually helping Mobley on defense, which is where his HoF reputation has already been made.
                                yup that's just it.. the second he was confirmed to not be playing this season I figured that fixed their perimeter problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X