Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

All signs point to Fred being moved off-ball next season then? I like the balance of Fred and Trent spacing the floor for Siakam and Scottie to work a two man game.
    I'd hope so. Scottie wasn't brought in as an off-ball player, and he's the future. Might as well lean into his strengths now.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      My stance on development of a shot is this: developing a catch and shoot 3 point shot is crucial for anyone who you want to be able to play off ball. If we want Scottie to stand in the corner, he should be working on that 3 point shot all summer.

Developing an elite pull up 3 point shot is great for an on-ball creator, if you can pull up above the break off a screen you become almost impossible to guard. I love Scottie but he seems several years away from that at least. But the other shot that can help an on-ball creator is the pull-up from closer in, in the midrange, where he already flashed some signs this year. You can develop that and stretch it out to 3 over time.

So if the goal is to develop Scottie as an off ball threat in the short term, and bring along his on-ball game over the next few years, I can see them emphasizing the 3 ball this summer. And I'm sure he'll work on everything. But if they want him to be their on-ball guy right away, I think the point of emphasis is not the 3 ball, but the handle and the midrange. He's already shown flashes of inside touch, give him a real weapon at 15 feet and his primary actions become really hard to contain without bringing help and giving up a layup or a three to someone else. I think the future of the team lies more in that direction than Scottie being out of the primary action, so as much as hitting open threes would help us, I think I'd have it further down the list of things to focus on this offseason.
      I think no matter what that handle needs to tighten up a lot. It is pretty solid but he loses it at times here and there. The other thing is yes as you said a pull up 3 .... by the way check out these stats

Mitchell:
      https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1628378/shots-dash

Booker:
      https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1626164/shots-dash

Comment

I'd hope so. Scottie wasn't brought in as an off-ball player, and he's the future. Might as well lean into his strengths now.
        The template for Scottie is Kawhi or Giannis.
        it will take time but he will definitely get to their level.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

The template for Scottie is Kawhi or Giannis.
          it will take time but he will definitely get to their level.
          Not even sure what to say to that lol

Comment

You’d put Siakam and Barnes at the elbows? Or run them through a 2 man game?

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

You’d put Siakam and Barnes at the elbows? Or run them through a 2 man game?
              Lots of options for them - if you are running one PnR with a C, you have the other in the corner and cutting or sitting in the weak side dunker to flash to the post when the help loads up to tag the roll; or you can set screens with Fred and run PnP, lots of options for where guys end up off ball in that scenario; but yes, lots of two man game with them as well, setting screens for each other in the middle of the floor.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Not even sure what to say to that lol
                I believe.
                Let's revisit this thread in 4-5 years.

Comment

I believe.
                  Let's revisit this thread in 4-5 years.
                  OK but "I believe" is far different from he definitely will. Especially when you're calling for a rookie to become a generational player.
                  And I say that as someone super high on his potential.

Comment

OK but "I believe" is far different from he definitely will. Especially when you're calling for a rookie to become a generational player.
                    I thought the objection was that Scottie will clearly be better than those two.

Get your act together. This is the Raptors Republic. We all need to collectively will Scottie into being the best player ever. Let every other fan forum doubt him.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I thought the objection was that Scottie will clearly be better than those two.

Get your act together. This is the Raptors Republic. We all need to collectively will Scottie into being the best player ever. Let every other fan forum doubt him.
                      I want him to get better every year and be an all-time Raptor before it's done. He's got a chance to be a good one.
                      Hanging the expectation of trying to be one of the best ever in the NBA needs like a needless stressor to hang on him.....becuase you know he's reading this tonight

Comment

I don't know if you consider Kawhi a generational player.
                        in terms of Giannis, you only have to compare their rookie season.
                        Scottie will definitely be in their tier in terms of skill and development, barring any major injuries.

Comment

Scottie will definitely be in their tier in terms of skill and development, barring any major injuries.
                          Kawhi? I don't know I think talent wise overall at his peak yes but at the same time his legacy will suffer a BIT because of the injuries. Barnes is basically a combination of magic and giannis but he is more skilled than Giannis at the same age.

Comment

My guy, Leonard and Giannis are both 100% generational talents. Top 30 all time. Giannis, always moving up the ladder. And it's completely disingenuous to say "you only have to compare their rookie season". Giannis was a raw, unknown flyer that had never played in America, and has unprecedented development. Scottie was a polished AAU player that came up in prep schools and was consensus top 5 or 6 of a deep draft.

Not sure why I'm out here stumping for Kawhi and Giannis, but I just think we need to ease up on the pressure a little bit like Scottie will "easily" reach that. We are PRAYING Scottie reaches that. But expectations like this are what have fans turning on their shiny new piece after a speed bump in development.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

My guy, Leonard and Giannis are both 100% generational talents. Top 30 all time. Giannis, always moving up the ladder. And it's completely disingenuous to say "you only have to compare their rookie season". Giannis was a raw, unknown flyer that had never played in America, and has unprecedented development. Scottie was a polished AAU player that came up in prep schools and was consensus top 5 or 6 of a deep draft.

Not sure why I'm out here stumping for Kawhi and Giannis, but I just think we need to ease up on the pressure a little bit like Scottie will "easily" reach that. We are PRAYING Scottie reaches that. But expectations like this are what have fans turning on their shiny new piece after a speed bump in development.
                              I didn't say Giannis was not a generational player.
                              I said Kawhi was not.
                              As much as I love Kawhi, he's only top 34 and that rank will still fall.

Do you seriously believe Scottie is browsing this forum to 'put pressure on him' ?
                              And even if he does, I doubt he will be affected by it. At all.

The argument on Giannis being 'relatively unknown' doesn't make any sense.
                              What about Kawhi? He played in college, and Scottie's rookie numbers are better than him.
                              Last edited by Kagemusha; Fri May 13, 2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Lots of options for them - if you are running one PnR with a C, you have the other in the corner and cutting or sitting in the weak side dunker to flash to the post when the help loads up to tag the roll; or you can set screens with Fred and run PnP, lots of options for where guys end up off ball in that scenario; but yes, lots of two man game with them as well, setting screens for each other in the middle of the floor.
                                once scottie can actually shoot the 3 so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X