Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

i don't think you can do that. 6 international players made the all star team out of the 27 all stars last year (including named replacements).

it'll look pretty dumb when dillon brooks or whoever is making the all star game over actual all stars. plus i think there are contract incentives tied into all star appearances for some players
    I mean, they can do whatever they want, they're the nba.

I personally think there is already WAY too much stock put into all star appearances for a resume, as we've seen years past where there's like 20 guys in the west that could have made the east team, but only like 8 deserving guys in the east. Add thst to the fact it's only actually a measure of who had the best first half of the season, which is like..who cares. Like chuck says "they got 25 of them guys every year". If you don't have at least 1 all nba, miss me. Your resume means shit without it.

Hell, to make it better, just name your 24 all stars regardless of Conference, have them show up, and take part in various things, but still do the international showdown, maybe 8 vs 8. Lots of ways you could go, I just know the current thing is stale. Spice it up instead of the mid season nba tourney they've been discussing. Maybe make it a week long 3 on 3 tourney for 10 million.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
      once he develops a respectable outside shot, he will be unstoppable.
      What was he 30% last year... for a player that wasn't supposed to be able to shoot at all? If he can shoot it at 35%, which seems reasonable and qualifies as respectable, that will open up his offensive game a lot and help open up the floor for teammates

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i don't think you can do that. 6 international players made the all star team out of the 27 all stars last year (including named replacements).

it'll look pretty dumb when dillon brooks or whoever is making the all star game over actual all stars. plus i think there are contract incentives tied into all star appearances for some players
        In Dillon Brooks’ irrationally overconfident mind…. he IS an all-star.

Comment

Steph and KD are generational talents too.

Those guys have the ability to control the pace of the game to their liking.
          Our Scottie has that too.
          And once he develops a respectable outside shot, he will be unstoppable.
          I think we have very different definitions of generational talent.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I think we have very different definitions of generational talent.
            That definition should be universal
            I wonder what's yours.

Comment

• So one thing that makes luka special is his ability to play at his own pace but I don't think that necessarily makes him a generational player ... its what makes him unique but not generational... its the combination of things.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                So one thing that makes luka special is his ability to play at his own pace but I don't think that necessarily makes him a generational player ... its what makes him unique but not generational... its the combination of things.
                He just turned 23 ....... !!!
                Put another way, he's younger than OG.

Dude is amazing

Comment

That definition should be universal
                  I wonder what's yours.
                  In my lifetime, it would be Magic, Jordan and Lebron (Larry Bird probably deserves to be included). I noted possibly Doncic in a previous post but he's almost certainly at a level below those guys.

In hockey, it would be Gretzky, Crosby and McDavid. In baseball, Bonds and Trout (maybe Randy Johnson if we include pitchers). Football is too tough cause of all the positions.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

He just turned 23 ....... !!!
                    Put another way, he's younger than OG.

Dude is amazing
                    I know he is insane I just don't think I can put him into generational yet I just have my own rule.

Comment

In my lifetime, it would be Magic, Jordan and Lebron (Larry Bird probably deserves to be included). I noted possibly Doncic in a previous post but he's almost certainly at a level below those guys.

In hockey, it would be Gretzky, Crosby and McDavid. In baseball, Bonds and Trout (maybe Randy Johnson if we include pitchers). Football is too tough cause of all the positions.
                      I guess your scope is kinda limited in the sense that generational talent spans across generations.
                      In basketball there are generational talents in the era of Wilt and Robertson.
                      Same is true in the era of Bird and Magic,
                      MJ and Hakeem.
                      Then in this era it's LBJ, Steph and KD.

Comment

I guess your scope is kinda limited in the sense that generational talent spans across generations.
                        In basketball there are generational talents in the era of Wilt and Robertson.
                        Same is true in the era of Bird and Magic,
                        MJ and Hakeem.
                        Then in this era it's LBJ, Steph and KD.
                        I’m saying in my lifetime. A generational talent is a player who comes along once in a generation. It’s certainly possible to have more than one at a time cause of position, etc. but you can’t have 4 or 5. Like, if you can easily compare a guy to other players or debate whether he’s the best player then he isn’t ‘generational’.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I know he is insane I just don't think I can put him into generational yet I just have my own rule.
                          Can't be proven generational without some longevity imo. I just wanted to point out what most don't know or remember; Luka is doing this at an insanely young age. He's leading the NBA young guns with Morant, hopefully Scotty, looking to replace the lebron/Durant/Westbrook/Harden geezers.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I mean, they can do whatever they want, they're the nba.

I personally think there is already WAY too much stock put into all star appearances for a resume, as we've seen years past where there's like 20 guys in the west that could have made the east team, but only like 8 deserving guys in the east. Add thst to the fact it's only actually a measure of who had the best first half of the season, which is like..who cares. Like chuck says "they got 25 of them guys every year". If you don't have at least 1 all nba, miss me. Your resume means shit without it.

Hell, to make it better, just name your 24 all stars regardless of Conference, have them show up, and take part in various things, but still do the international showdown, maybe 8 vs 8. Lots of ways you could go, I just know the current thing is stale. Spice it up instead of the mid season nba tourney they've been discussing. Maybe make it a week long 3 on 3 tourney for 10 million.
                            i like the idea of just naming the 24 all stars regardless of conference, like all nba teams.

but i just don't see the 'merica vs international thing injecting a higher level of competition to it or anything though, and don't think there's much more they can do to make the game seem like it matters. they've already tried with the elam ending, which has made it a bit more interesting in 2 of the past 3 years. but at the end of the day it's still an exhibition game during the players' vacation in the middle of a grueling season and they want to avoid getting injured, they're never gonna care that much.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

In Dillon Brooks’ irrationally overconfident mind…. he IS an all-star.
                              exactly, and the last thing the world needs is to validate his feelings on that!

Comment

Seems like a disservice to a lot of players no, if you're just picking the best of an era (generation)? I mean, if Lemieux wasn't a generational talent than I don't know what to say. Does Curry not qualify, changed the game he did.

Comment

Working...
                                X