No announcement yet.

Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone needs to relax on scottie, he's a very unselfish player at heart. But one thing is for sure, when the ball is in his hands good things happen more than bad things.

Comment

• Offensively, Barnes is scoring fewer points (15.3 to 14.9), shooting fewer free throws (2.9 to 2.7) and shooting a lower percentage from the field (49.2 to 44.8). Defensively, per Second Spectrum's tracking data, opposing players are shooting 49.9% when he is the closest defender this season, compared to 46.5% last season.

"He's going to have a long career, so this is good for him to struggle a little bit," VanVleet told ESPN. "We would wish that there wasn't so much weight on every performance for him, but we do need him to play good in order for us to have success, which is how a team is built. That's unfortunate in terms of his development, but it's good for him. ... It's going to make him better, and it's good for him to go through these struggles."

"He was pretty much a golden child all last year and then nobody said any bad things about him, and so [he can] get it out the way now," VanVleet added with a smile. "Let people talk about him, and he'll be able to bounce back and push through that."

Kinda a weird thing to say from Fred. I'm still sure there's just a bit of animosity between the two, especially how how Fred has had to work for what he has vs Scotty riding his talent to this point.

Comment

• He’s a young player who has been pretty adamant about playing PG and having that role and he’s being asked to play C and be the screen setter and roll.

It’s understandable why he would be a bit angry or flustered. Ultimately I think it’s best if they learn to use him both ways but obviously he’s the type of guy where you want the ball in his hands as much as possible

Comment

• Scottie came in with energy, swagger and fun last year. Feels like the “adults” have squashed that already

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
            Scottie came in with energy, swagger and fun last year. Feels like the “adults” have squashed that already
            I asked in the Blazers game thread where the happy go lucky, always hugging everyone, joyful Barnes went. We certainly don't see it on the floor much at all anymore.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              He’s a young player who has been pretty adamant about playing PG and having that role and he’s being asked to play C and be the screen setter and roll.

It’s understandable why he would be a bit angry or flustered. Ultimately I think it’s best if they learn to use him both ways but obviously he’s the type of guy where you want the ball in his hands as much as possible
              I also think that's the problem. Scottie's a point forward like a LeBron, Pippen, Giannis, Siakam.....but on this team they're using him as a C. I don't think it's fair to ask him to guard guys like Embiid and Nurkic, Lopez, Robinson, JV.....like really big guys. I think that's part of the reason why he has struggled so much this year. That's why I kept saying they should move one of OG/PS. Besides the obvious, trading one of them would open things up for Scottie.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I also think that's the problem. Scottie's a point forward like a LeBron, Pippen, Giannis, Siakam.....but on this team they're using him as a C. I don't think it's fair to ask him to guard guys like Embiid and Nurkic, Lopez, Robinson, JV.....like really big guys. I think that's part of the reason why he has struggled so much this year. That's why I kept saying they should move one of OG/PS. Besides the obvious, trading one of them would open things up for Scottie.
                Trading OG and PS makes no sense though. Scottie is not a great defender at the 3 either, so nice to be able to hide him behind those guys.

I agree they should absolutely not be playing any of them at C. But the pieces to remove from the lineup are one of Fred or Gary, not Pascal or OG.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Just curious to know who thinks Scottie could thrive as a full time PG. I for one have never pictured that as his long term fit. I think he can grab and go to lead a break, drive, draw, and dish in the half court, and facilitate from the post, but I question his effectiveness as a ball handler in pick and roll/pop situations....a huge part of NBA offenses.

He played as a forward at Montverde in high school, was a sixth man point forward off the bench in his one year of NCAA ball. He plays very unselfishly and has great vision, solid attributes for a PG, but his in ability to be a consistent threat as a perimeter shooter handcuffs his lead guard capabilities.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Trading OG and PS makes no sense though. Scottie is not a great defender at the 3 either, so nice to be able to hide him behind those guys.

I agree they should absolutely not be playing any of them at C. But the pieces to remove from the lineup are one of Fred or Gary, not Pascal or OG.
                    I recall talking to you about this as early as Scottie's first year. Just can't balance the team offence with all three of Scottie, Pascal and OG with Precious and only one of FVV or Trent. Not enough defence without Precious.

We have a decent sample now telling us the answer is probably to move one of the forwards. Only way I can see keeping the three forwards is to move one of the guards and Precious for an upgrade at C, but even then I think I prefer the dynamics of a scoring guard over a scoring C.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                      Just curious to know who thinks Scottie could thrive as a full time PG. I for one have never pictured that as his long term fit. I think he can grab and go to lead a break, drive, draw, and dish in the half court, and facilitate from the post, but I question his effectiveness as a ball handler in pick and roll/pop situations....a huge part of NBA offenses.

He played as a forward at Montverde in high school, was a sixth man point forward off the bench in his one year of NCAA ball. He plays very unselfishly and has great vision, solid attributes for a PG, but his in ability to be a consistent threat as a perimeter shooter handcuffs his lead guard capabilities.
                      I always think Scottie's best role is that of Kawhi and Giannis.
                      Can play point at certain times but needs a real good PG.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

I always think Scottie's best role is that of Kawhi and Giannis.
                        Can play point at certain times but needs a real good PG.
                        Aren't you one of the posters here who kept saying he's a PG?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                          Just curious to know who thinks Scottie could thrive as a full time PG. I for one have never pictured that as his long term fit. I think he can grab and go to lead a break, drive, draw, and dish in the half court, and facilitate from the post, but I question his effectiveness as a ball handler in pick and roll/pop situations....a huge part of NBA offenses.

For now, I like him at the 5 if they get him the ball in space in the middle where he can work to create shots for himself and others. He has done this very effectively over the last several games and, to me, that should be the focus for now.

Point forward seems to be the logical slot for him but Raps already have a point forward with Siakam and you aren't taking the ball away from Pascal. Maybe if you have two guards who just shooters you could get away with it but if OG is out there then you have the same lane protection issue you have now.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Aren't you one of the posters here who kept saying he's a PG?
                            I think I started to say that only because of Nick's system.
                            If they will be going all in with proj 6'9" then he is the PG.
                            But I am souring on that system.
                            We need a real PG.

He can play the point which he loves,
                            but then is that really the position where he can get the most success at?
                            Ever since he was drafted, i always believed he is a Kawhi or Giannis.
                            The Magic Johnson types of PGs doesn't fit in today's game.
                            Luka is close to Magic in terms of size but he is skilled as hell which makes up for his lack of speed for the position.
                            Last edited by Kagemusha; Mon Jan 9, 2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I recall talking to you about this as early as Scottie's first year. Just can't balance the team offence with all three of Scottie, Pascal and OG with Precious and only one of FVV or Trent. Not enough defence without Precious.

We have a decent sample now telling us the answer is probably to move one of the forwards. Only way I can see keeping the three forwards is to move one of the guards and Precious for an upgrade at C, but even then I think I prefer the dynamics of a scoring guard over a scoring C.
                              Whoa, what sample do we have that identifies specifically the three forwards as the problem?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Whoa, what sample do we have that identifies specifically the three forwards as the problem?
                                "Problem" is your word and not mine. For me I think the offence is not dynamic enough without two guards on the floor and the defence isn't good enough without Precious or another C out there.

The sample being this season with our offence being one of the worst in the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X