Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Not sure about FVV but Trent is as good as gone. As for Scottie, OG and Pascal, if they keep all three, how are they going to do it? can OG play the 2? OG at the 2, Barnes at the 3, Siakam at the 4? because they can't keep playing Scottie against other teams C.
    OG could play the 2, he does need his shot to fall at a more efficient rate like before and of course he can defend basically any position.

Comment

Not sure about FVV but Trent is as good as gone. As for Scottie, OG and Pascal, if they keep all three, how are they going to do it? can OG play the 2? OG at the 2, Barnes at the 3, Siakam at the 4? because they can't keep playing Scottie against other teams C.
      Yes, OG plays the 2.

Put a real PG who can hit 3s at a high clip next to him. Lonzo Ball would be a great fit. I'm still eyeing Lonzo and Portlands 2023 1st from Chicago for Fred.
      Last edited by Primer; Mon Jan 9, 2023, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• I think you’d see a better fit with Pascal s the 3, Scottie at the 4. At least on the defensive end

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

If OG can get back to being a 40% 3pt shooter than he's exactly what we need. He's not the floor spacer he used to be unfortunately. He can make a shot, but 34-35% is league average. He needs to be an elite shooter again. The guy that hit that bucket against the Celtics with 0.5 seconds left.

It was ultimately about the trio of OG, Pascal and Scottie and if they can play together. I think it's possible, and easier if OG becomes a better shooter again.

But if I had to trade one of them, then OG would be the guy I would move. I'd prefer not to trade any of them. But gun to my head, OG is first.
          I think the issue with his shooting (which is the same issue for a lot of players on our team this year) is that we don’t have enough shooters overall which is leading to no space for the ones we have.

Bring in more shooting and I bet OG/Fred etc go back to their normal shooting ways.

Anyways though none of this is really Scottie related anymore lol

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
            I think you’d see a better fit with Pascal s the 3, Scottie at the 4. At least on the defensive end
            Yeah, if you put Scottie at the 4 in a traditional PF role with a slightly more conservative defense & offense and then people would be raving about how he's the most versatile PF in the league. His ball-handling and passing would be gravy.

This position-less nonsense is warping people's expectations and confusing the whole team.... most of all Scottie, who is literally playing 1-5 on both ends. We all saw last year that his best role on offense is as an old school PF. They should be solidifying that and then building from there, instead of trying to make him a PG on one possession, stick him in the corner like a wing on the next, and put him in the dunker's spot like a C on another, etc..., etc... Walk before you run.

Also agree on Pascal. He is basically morphing into the perfect big wing player.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, if you put Scottie at the 4 in a traditional PF role with a slightly more conservative defense & offense and then people would be raving about how he's the most versatile PF in the league. His ball-handling and passing would be gravy.

This position-less nonsense is warping people's expectations and confusing the whole team.... most of all Scottie, who is literally playing 1-5 on both ends. We all saw last year that his best role on offense is as an old school PF. They should be solidifying that and then building from there, instead of trying to make him a PG on one possession, stick him in the corner like a wing on the next, and put him in the dunker's spot like a C on another, etc..., etc... Walk before you run.

Also agree on Pascal. He is basically morphing into the perfect big wing player.
              I think you can just look at Scottie, Pascal, and OG as all playing 2-4 when they play together. For that to work well though we need a real PG and a real C. I think Koloko could be that C with Precious playing a 4-5 role. We do not have a real PG on the roster though. That's our biggest need.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I think you can just look at Scottie, Pascal, and OG as all playing 2-4 when they play together. For that to work well though we need a real PG and a real C. I think Koloko could be that C with Precious playing a 4-5 role. We do not have a real PG on the roster though. That's our biggest need.

Comment

• I can just picture it now when our real PG drives into the paint and kicks it out to Barnes, Koloko or Pascal for an open 3.

C'mon guys, any team that plays a Raptors team with Koloko, Pascal, OG and Barnes in the same line is just going to pack the paint and dare them to make a shot. Look how far back Scottie's defender is sagging off him right now. Picture that times 3 defenders. Not disagreeing with needing a real PG, but I think you need a more dyamic scoring guard than one of OG, Pascal or Barnes.

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post

Do you honestly think Scottie, Pascal and OG can all thrive together? They seem to want to occupy similar space, while Scottie and Pascal both want the ball. Fred is supposed to be a good off ball shooter who theoretically pairs well with those 3. Even if you brought in some sort of magical, perfectly fitting C, do you really believe those 3 can play to their peaks. It just isn't working.
                    To be concise: yes, I believe those three are an excellent fit with each other.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      I can just picture it now when our real PG drives into the paint and kicks it out to Barnes, Koloko or Pascal for an open 3.

C'mon guys, any team that plays a Raptors team with Koloko, Pascal, OG and Barnes in the same line is just going to pack the paint and dare them to make a shot. Look how far back Scottie's defender is sagging off him right now. Picture that times 3 defenders. Not disagreeing with needing a real PG, but I think you need a more dyamic scoring guard than one of OG, Pascal or Barnes.
                      OG can hit open 3s. So can the PG I want to bring in. Get a reliable bench shooter (healthy Otto would be nice) and we're fine. Pack the paint and pay the price.

Defenders aren't sagging off OG or Pascal. They do it to Scottie because he's not a great shooter yet.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I can just picture it now when our real PG drives into the paint and kicks it out to Barnes, Koloko or Pascal for an open 3.

There are more ways a PG can impact an offense, besides drive & kick. Did you miss the Kyle Lowry era?

Comment

OG is at his best playing the 2 and harrassing opposing guards.

If you follow my commentary on here at all you know I despise the small starting group and believe none of those players should be playing C for significant minutes.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• That said, all this PG talk is not the future of that threesome. Pascal and Scottie are both on-ball guys, so between the two of them, that's our PG. That's the entire idea behind having them on the team, not having one of them always spotting up in the corner. And Scottie's development as a pull up shooter in the midrange and eventually from three will determine the ceiling of that look.

The "PG" you want is a guy who can bring the ball up and spot up for three, defend opposing guards, and ideally hold his own if they go switchy. So, Fred, when he can hit a shot to save his life.

The C you want is someone who can rebound, provide a little rim protection, but importantly can switch out onto the perimeter adequately and rotate quickly, and ideally can shoot enough to pull opposing defenders out of the paint. A roll threat certainly helps but is less crucial for that core. I'm certain they have hopes about both Precious and Koloko in that regard but it's a little ways off.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              That said, all this PG talk is not the future of that threesome. Pascal and Scottie are both on-ball guys, so between the two of them, that's our PG. That's the entire idea behind having them on the team, not having one of them always spotting up in the corner. And Scottie's development as a pull up shooter in the midrange and eventually from three will determine the ceiling of that look.

The "PG" you want is a guy who can bring the ball up and spot up for three, defend opposing guards, and ideally hold his own if they go switchy. So, Fred, when he can hit a shot to save his life.

The C you want is someone who can rebound, provide a little rim protection, but importantly can switch out onto the perimeter adequately and rotate quickly, and ideally can shoot enough to pull opposing defenders out of the paint. A roll threat certainly helps but is less crucial for that core. I'm certain they have hopes about both Precious and Koloko in that regard but it's a little ways off.
                              The PG I want can get our bigs easier shots at the rim and can run PnRs. The PG I want can create advantages of the dribble, leveraging & transferring those advantages to other teammates... again for easier buckets. The PG I want controls tempo & pace and understand which teammate needs the ball, when & how to get it to them to get or keep them in rhythm.

All of the above, is decidedly.... not Fred.

The PG I want can also play off-ball and is a deadly 3-pt shooter, who can defend opposing guards. That "used to be" Fred, when he could hit a shot and wasn't getting repeatedly blown by.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

OG can hit open 3s. So can the PG I want to bring in. Get a reliable bench shooter (healthy Otto would be nice) and we're fine. Pack the paint and pay the price.

Defenders aren't sagging off OG or Pascal. They do it to Scottie because he's not a great shooter yet.
                                You're talking about having a PG that shoots like Gary or historically like Fred and OG as 2 shooters in a line up with Koloko, Pascal and Barnes. We literally have or have had Fred (when he could shoot), OG AND Gary out there as 3 shooters with Barnes and Pascal and weren't able to make anyone pay the price.
                                I feel like I'm taking crazy pills Primer LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X