No announcement yet.

Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Fred can become a better, more consistent shooter. I don't know if the guy that replaces him can be good at creating more possessions via low turnover rates, or high steal/deflection rates.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Fred is first (tied with OG) in the league in deflections, and 10th in steals. He has a 6.9:1.9 assist to turnover (meaning he doesn't give the ball up). He's helping us gain possessions. So who's replacing him that can help do that too?
      Another PG that shoots better FG and doesn't drive into multiple defenders for embarrassing blocks.

The steals and lack of turnovers is our system not Fred. Gary became one of the top steals guys in the league when he joined our team, it's the system.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Another PG that shoots better FG and doesn't drive into multiple defenders for embarrassing blocks.
        And what if Fred becomes a better shooter? He might just be having a down year? Basketball is never linear. And as for driving into multiple defenders.. Pascal, Scottie and OG do that too.. it's just more pronounced with Fred because he's short. But most of his field goal attempts come from the perimeter.

Besides you didn't answer my question.

Comment

And what if Fred becomes a better shooter? He might just be having a down year? Basketball is never linear. And as for driving into multiple defenders.. Pascal, Scottie and OG do that too.. it's just more pronounced with Fred because he's short. But most of his field goal attempts come from the perimeter.

What if Fred grows 6 inches?

What ifs for a player of Fred's age and experience aren't necessary, he is what he is but declining.

7 seasons in and he's a career 40% FG. His best season as a starter he was 41.3% which is still really bad. He's had sub 40% 2 out of the last 3 years. It's a really bad bet to assume he'll get better now.
          Last edited by Primer; Thu Mar 9, 2023, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I edited my post a second later to fully answer your question. It's the system and not Fred, so another PG could easily replicate his steals and lack of turnovers.

As a team we lead the league in steals and fewest turnovers. That's the system not Fred.
            Last edited by Primer; Thu Mar 9, 2023, 07:40 PM.

Comment

What ifs for a player of Fred's age and experience aren't necessary, he is what he is but declining.
              What does height have to do with this conversation?

He's 29 not 35. And he was an all-star last year. He was better last year than the year before.. but was better the year before that. Guys go through ups and downs. Pascal had a shit season in the bubble but was MIP the season before that. Then became an all-star again.

Fred could have been going through a lot of personal issues. I'm not writing him off when the options after him are Flynn and Banton. And if we replace him with just any PG, then the amount of extra possessions he creates will likely disappear. Unless you can tell me who's replacing him that can make sure we don't.

Comment

7 seasons in and he's a career 40% FG. His best season as a starter he was 41.3% which is still really bad. He's had sub 40% 2 out of the last 3 years. It's a really bad bet to assume he'll get better now.
                His FG% will likely stay around there. His main weapon is his 3 ball which has been down this season. That you can take a bet on if it will improve next season.

Comment

I edited my post a second later to fully answer your question. It's the system and not Fred, so another PG could easily replicate his steals and lack of turnovers.

As a team we lead the league in steals and fewest turnovers. That's the system not Fred.
                  It's not just about limiting turnovers.. when you are a PG you create for others. So what will the new PG's assist to turnover ratio be? It's why we played McCaw a lot since it was decent. We need not just to be able to score/space the floor.. but do other things.

Gary doesn't pass the ball so of course he doesn't have many turnovers.

Comment

What does height have to do with this conversation?

He's 29 not 35. And he was an all-star last year. He was better last year than the year before.. but was better the year before that. Guys go through ups and downs. Pascal had a shit season in the bubble but was MIP the season before that. Then became an all-star again.

Fred could have been going through a lot of personal issues. I'm not writing him off when the options after him are Flynn and Banton. And if we replace him with just any PG, then the amount of extra possessions he creates will likely disappear. Unless you can tell me who's replacing him that can make sure we don't.
                    I was making another silly what if scenario. Height has nothing to do with it, I'm implying Fred becoming a great shooter is as likely as him getting taller.

The system creates extra possessions not Fred. As a team we have the least turnovers in the league and the most steals. That's what the system is designed to do.

A pass first PG in our system probably leads the league in assists.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

His FG% will likely stay around there. His main weapon is his 3 ball which has been down this season. That you can take a bet on if it will improve next season.
                      Yeah a majority of his attempts come from the 3pt line. So that will affect his overall FG%.

Comment

I was making another silly what if scenario. Height has nothing to do with it, I'm implying Fred becoming a great shooter is as likely as him getting taller.

The system creates extra possessions not Fred. As a team we have the least turnovers in the league and the most steals. That's what the system is designed to do.

A pass first PG in our system probably leads the league in assists.
                        And the reason why we lead the league in turnovers is because of Fred and Pascal being good at passing without giving away the ball. Not any PG can do that. Unless you're thinking we are replacing Fred with someone like Chris Paul.

Comment

• Fred's 3pt% by year:

41.4%
                          39.0%
                          37.9%
                          37.8%
                          37.7%
                          36.6%
                          34.1%

He's not just going to decline forever. He can get back to 37-38%. And that 36.6 was him as an all-star.

I mean Jrue Holiday shot 32.5% at age 28 and 35.3% at age 29. What a bum!

Comment

Fred is first (tied with OG) in the league in deflections, and 10th in steals. He has a 6.9:1.9 assist to turnover (meaning he doesn't give the ball up). He's helping us gain possessions. So who's replacing him that can help do that too?
                            Well obviously this is where you hope Shai is fed up with losing and wants out and you break out the Fred + a million FRP's or whatever. There's also guys like Maxey which may become available or to a lesser extent Cole Anthony, or Terrence Mann. Someone is going to draft Scoot which may make their current PG available. There will be some options but I agree you don't just trade Fred for the sake of change. It has to be for the right player.

Comment

• What if I remind both of you spammers that this is a Scottie thread. Lol

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                                What if I remind both of you spammers that this is a Scottie thread. Lol
                                Scottie can't even have his thread without mentioning FV, Bad Times..
                                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                                X