Everything Scottie Barnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I think that was the intention of trading for Gary Trent Jr. It just didn't work out unfortunately.
    Yep. They thought they could get a younger, cheaper, cost-controlled version of Norm. Unfortunately, they were dealing with Klutch, who usually doesn’t leave too much on the table.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, but my point is/was that management should be trying to have as many guys on value contracts as possible. That allows roster flexibility to build quality depth and increases trade asset value, when necessary. Brunson is on a value contract for the next 3 years. Fred won’t be. Brunson would have been insane value (4/55m) if we traded for him as a Fred replacement, before he broke out, like I suggested a few years back.

Raptors pro scouting needs to find more of those type of undervalued breakout candidates, rather than just continuing to give our own guys bigger and bigger contracts
      and hope they grow into their contracts at some point. And when they do, they’re UFAs and we don’t reap that extended value. Sure, in a vacuum, you can justify & rationalize each individual deal as “market”, but as an aggregate, we are on the cusp of building an overpriced, middling team where our stars can’t elevate lower salaries teammates to winning, like Kyle and DeMar could. Heck, we were even faux contenders back then. Championship aspirations are a pipe dream now.

And when we want to trade our well paid guys, the league isn’t valuing them as highly as we do.

Markannen, Brunson and Mikal Bridges are examples of the type of guys that pro scouting should be trying to identify “before” they reach a higher level.
      I think that they do try and do that, but they can't build a team on value contracts hoping a couple work out and outplay their contracts. Way more don't work out that do. Like I said, Brunson will be demanding a huge raise on his next contract now that he's established himself. Heck he may want a max and Knicks are gonna have to figure that out while trying to improve the team.

It's also a tough ask to get those value contract type guys. Teams knew Markennan and Bridges would be good players and don't want to trade those value type guys. They hold onto them like wild cards they can use for big moments.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

We will never know if Scottie is a great #1 option with Pascal here - and that's the point I'm trying to make.

I don't mind if they move on from Fred but they better replace him with a guy that can shoot, and can handle the ball. We need more guards not less. As for the off ball stuff - I heard what Fred said. And lately Fred has been doing a lot of off ball stuff. Not when multiple rotation players are hurt.. but when fully healthy, Fred has been reigning it in a lot.
        agree with the first point and most of what you've been saying in this thread the last couple days, but don't agree with the bold. seems to me like since the trade we've gotten the most on-ball fred of his career, and both scottie and pascal have had the ball less and struggled somewhat (though they've both shined at times too), while OG has thrived (probably because he can shoot). like i said in the previous post fred's been pretty great and the halfcourt offense has been more effective but it's leading to a lot of standing in the corner from scottie which is not what i want to see a lot of heading into his third season.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Chris slowly seeing the light.

totally welcome the opinion, thanks

Woot woot
          i still haven't changed my mind in the big picture - i think fred is a better compliment to scottie than pascal on paper. just an observation that fred's had the ball as much as i can remember in any point of his career since the trade

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i still haven't changed my mind in the big picture - i think fred is a better compliment to scottie than pascal on paper. just an observation that fred's had the ball as much as i can remember in any point of his career since the trade
            I will take the minimum from Mr.Chris, that doubt

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Literally no one ever said this except you, earning minutes is a stupid idea.

Winning minutes, as in the team scores more points than the opponent when you are on the floor, is what Birch did when he was here his first year, and it's literally the entire reason the game is played.
              The evolution of your takes lol

Comment

• https://youtube.com/shorts/dCrIOFpRS8Y?feature=share
                And a career night tonight. .500 baby!

Comment

• He seems to like playing Miami. Everyone at home is watching. Not unlike Kyle against Philly back in the day

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    He seems to like playing Miami. Everyone at home is watching. Not unlike Kyle against Philly back in the day
                    He loves playing in primetime games. His best game of the season was against the Lakers a couple of weeks ago. His best two scoring games in his career was also against the Lakers.

If I'm part of the coaching staff, I would tell Scottie to study the Lakers game. The key to unlock Scottie's offense in my opinion is the midrange game.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

He loves playing in primetime games. His best game of the season was against the Lakers a couple of weeks ago. His best two scoring games in his career was also against the Lakers.

If I'm part of the coaching staff, I would tell Scottie to study the Lakers game. The key to unlock Scottie's offense in my opinion is the midrange game.

The key to unlocking Barnes is to put him in positions to succeed rather than having him play bystander until it is his turn in this godawful shitty offence that they run. Get him the ball on the move, in the middle of the floor, let him run screen and roll, put him in the post.... he will make the right plays. He's not a spot up three point shooter or a guy who should be asked to break down guards from 30 feet out.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The key to unlocking Barnes is to put him in positions to succeed rather than having him play bystander until it is his turn in this godawful shitty offence that they run. Get him the ball on the move, in the middle of the floor, let him run screen and roll, put him in the post.... he will make the right plays. He's not a spot up three point shooter or a guy who should be asked to break down guards from 30 feet out.
                        The key difference was Fred taking a backseat. Do that every night and Scottie will shine.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

The evolution of your takes lol
                          It's not an evolution, it's you misquoting me for years and me correcting you for years and getting tired of it.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The key difference was Fred taking a backseat. Do that every night and Scottie will shine.
                            Not if he’s shooting threes and running ISOs from 30-feet out.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Not even a huge backseat, as long as Fred can hit his off-ball catch & shoots at a high rate like he used to. He can still get his 20 ppg as a shooting guard.

Comment

• Scottie shone for a big chunk of this one because the Heat ran a lot of zone, which he was incredible at breaking. So that helped him a lot, and was the same thing that prevented the elite Fred-Jak PnR from functioning much. Not every team will give him a soft zone to mess around in.

I agree I'd love for Scottie to run more PnR himself. But so many times he's given the opportunity he'll stop short and reset or will immediately move the ball elsewhere. Ultimately need him to just take the reins. The offence definitely allows for him to do so and only him getting over his more passive instincts will unlock that.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X