Everything Justin Champagnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Justin Champagnie

Signed a 2 way contract with the Raptors.

My guess he is the 2nd rounder with a shot of making the team this season.

Great last name.

Not a second rounder, a UDFA. I expect they'll want one of the second rounders on a two way deal as well, with the other getting a contract right away. Although it depends on how much depth they lose/gain in the free agency process.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Another guy that will make the 905 an exciting team.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        Not a second rounder, a UDFA. I expect they'll want one of the second rounders on a two way deal as well, with the other getting a contract right away. Although it depends on how much depth they lose/gain in the free agency process.
        What I meant was that he was projected as a high 2nd rounder & probably didn't want to be drafted in the 2nd round unless he got some kind of guarantee which the Raptors agreed with.

You don't just sign an undrafted player to a 2 way contract right away.

Comment

Break out the Champagnie!

Champagnie Papi.

Hope he makes it. His name has potential.

Comment

I'm more interested in this guy than either of our 2nd round picks. 1st team all ACC as a sophomore, averaged an amazing 11 rebounds at 6'6 playing primarily the 2 and 3 spots.

stop me if you've heard this before; pros: wingspan, hustle/motor. Cons: shooting
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

What I meant was that he was projected as a high 2nd rounder & probably didn't want to be drafted in the 2nd round unless he got some kind of guarantee which the Raptors agreed with.

You don't just sign an undrafted player to a 2 way contract right away.
              His projections were all over the place, most borderline 60th or so.

Half the league signed undrafted players to 2 way contracts right away. Teams talk to agents ahead of time, sure, but I doubt Champagnie was pushing not to be drafted. Even if he was, if he was willing to take a 2 way he'd have no reason to.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah he definitely wanted to be drafted.

His twitter is filled with all that FVV "everyones against me, haters be doubtin, prove em wrong" type of stuff.

Beware the undrafted angry bet on yourself dude
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Comment

He's an absolute steal as a UDFA.

Comment

Jalen Johnson couldn't even guard him, fouled out lol

Comment

22 MIN, 17 PTS, 10 REB, 3 AST, 2 STL, 7-12 FG, 2-5 3FG, 1- FT, 0 BLK, 0 TO, +16 +/-

Not a bad night at the office.

(also, as Keon noted above... the rebounds are not an aberration. He averaged 11 reb in college.)

Comment

He had an little ugly stitch last night, but other than that it looks like he belongs. A year in GLeague will be great for him.

Comment

And this is why you see guys like Bembry, Watson, and Thomas get dropped. With all due respect, there's just a pile of players on the fringe of the NBA. You give 2-3 of them some run on your roster, some time with the 905, and just look for someone to show you something exceptional. If they don't, you reload and try again.

I really like how management does this. Why not? Cheap talent from a salary cap perspective (some of these slots used to get filled by old vets who didn't get minutes + were there for the locker room, but cost 10x as much. Those days are gone) & sooner or later you may just find yourself a diamond in the rough.

I like the upside of nearly everyone on this roster quite a bit. They won't all pan out or anything, but a good chance a couple of these guys do.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              And this is why you see guys like Bembry, Watson, and Thomas get dropped. With all due respect, there's just a pile of players on the fringe of the NBA. You give 2-3 of them some run on your roster, some time with the 905, and just look for someone to show you something exceptional. If they don't, you reload and try again.

I really like how management does this. Why not? Cheap talent from a salary cap perspective (some of these slots used to get filled by old vets who didn't get minutes + were there for the locker room, but cost 10x as much. Those days are gone) & sooner or later you may just find yourself a diamond in the rough.

I like the upside of nearly everyone on this roster quite a bit. They won't all pan out or anything, but a good chance a couple of these guys do.
                              Champagnie was one of the best players in the ACC. Feels like a total aberration to me that he wasn't drafted. Looks like he will be yet another steal for Masai.

Comment

Working...
                              X