Kyle Lowry the GROAT appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Lowry the GROAT appreciation thread

Post anything you want, pics, stories, thoughts.

I'll start it off by sharing a cheesy ode to Kyle I wrote during the trade deadline when I thought he was leaving. I couldnt sleep, and just started writing:

I'll admit, I teared up a little thinking this is goodbye to the GROAT.

And I'm 34, way past the age where I used to really care for pro athletes. But I care about Kyle Lowry.

Maybe it's the way they came up through such a grind. You know who I mean. We watched the Raptors nearly a decade ago go from a directionless mess, to "Kyle and DeMar’s" team (with lovable "raptors for life", young guys like Amir, T Ross and JV along for the ride). We watched them surprise the league, and get to the playoffs and face the veteran Brooklyn Nets. "They just don't have that IT" sneered Brooklyn’s Paul Pierce. We watched Lowry JUST MISS making the game winning shot in game 7, and collapse on the floor, while Demar consoled him. We were so close. But these guys had something here. Progress.

We watched them get back to the playoffs the next year, but this time Masai had maybe over compensated the roster with offensive only players, and got swept by Washington in round 1. A real set back to the progress they were making. Maybe Paul Pierce was right…

But the team kept tweaking, and Demar and Kyle kept getting better. We watched them get further than ever, round 3 against Lebron James and the Cavs. We watched Kyle step up in many key moments, and help us take the eventual championship winning Cavs to game 6, winning back to back games in Toronto. We heard a standing ovation at the ACC that gave even Lebron goosebumps. It was a great moment for the underdog Raptors. Progress.

We watched them as they continued, somewhat cruelly, to run into the Lebron machine, year after year. We were easily the East’s 2nd best team over the next couple of years, but the Raptors just could not solve Lebron. We watched Kyle and DeMar try and try and try again until..until it wasnt Kyle and DeMar anymore. It was Kyle, Kawhi and the kids. Masai had to take the swing, and Kyle lost his best friend overnight. It felt like it may have stopped all the progress.

And many wondered if Kyle would demand a trade, or even show up for work. But a funny thing happened to that stubborn old bulldog: Kyle adapted. He slowly morphed into the OG mentor on these Raps, tutoring and developing guys like Fred, and well, OG. Norm owes Kyle. Pascal owes Kyle. JV? JV owes Kyle. It's no coincidence many young guys have blossomed under Kyle Lowry’s tutelage. It will be greatly missed, and don’t be surprised when the development of kids on this squad is not as strong as it was. Kyle became the facilitator, having no issues taking a backseat in the shots department, and showed true leadership. And Kyle had a great playoffs, especially that final game, scoring the first 11 points (and 26 total) in the clincher. And just like that, the “Lebronto” jokes stopped, and the little engine that could was an NBA champion. Kyle Lowry. With this sad little Mickey Mouse franchise, who were named after a summer blockbuster movie. He was with us from Bargnani. From a 30 win team, to the mountain top. We did it.

And he celebrated with Toronto. And he stuck with Toronto. His kids are essentially Canadians, and Kyle Lowry is quintessentially Canadian. Kyle is undersized, not the fastest, or the strongest. He’s smart, and he works his ass off. He plays hard. Never takes time off. Kyle is the outsider, the underrated and the ignored. He is the poster boy for everything that We The North was ever supposed to represent, beyond a marketing slogan.

Or maybe it’s because he’s my age. Maybe because he’s my height. Maybe it's because I'VE always felt like an underdog, always felt underrated. Always had a chip on MY shoulder. I look at Lebron or Giannis, I see athletic freaks, genetic marvels. Kyle Lowry looks like he could work in the office next to you. But better believe he'll kick your ass on that court, with his 2 biggest skills being undefinable: craftiness and determination.

Whatever it was, probably I don’t think I'll ever have a "favorite player" again. Mostly now it's just contracted athletes. Assets. Businessmen, trying to accumulate as much as they can before they get sold off to the next franchise. It's all very jaded, and rare when you can just watch one of them play, and cheer for the human. Other people can talk about how great a dad he is, or his tireless, hands on charity work in Toronto and area, but I chose to just think about the guy I watched every single night, for 9 seasons, pour his heart out for the name on the front of the jersey, until that name now sits in history forever. The Toronto Raptors – NBA Champions. They used to laugh at us when Vince Carter left. Who’s laughing now?

And for that, I thank YOU, #7. Thank you for all of it. The pain, the embarrassing losses, the many wins. Every minute. It was all worth it.

And to his new team, you may have him, but that's Canadas big booty, motherfuckers. Don’t poke the bear.

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Best of luck Kyle.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Just too early for this lol. I loved him as a raptor but hope the heat go out in the first round. Really wanted him to retire a raptor.

Comment

o7

Comment

Respect. And lots of it.

Comment

it sucks. unfortunately it was time. we need to reset and lowry still wants to get paid and have an outside shot at winning.

Comment

Yeah Kyle Lowry was a pit bull the day we got him. I remember watching footage of him in Houston and when Colangelo got him I was already stoked. But he just became this tiny ball of energy that would just do whatever he could to help you win a game.

The countless charges. The timely screens to free up a teammate. The hail mary passes for transition dunks. The 3's that he would rain down when we needed them. Setting up teammates perfectly. The tiny things that only Raptors fans saw day to day.

Every Raptor fan knows what KLOE meant. And whenever we had a KLOE game it was just special.

You know who had "it" by the way? Kyle did.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Yeah Kyle Lowry was a pit bull the day we got him. I remember watching footage of him in Houston and when Colangelo got him I was already stoked. But he just became this tiny ball of energy that would just do whatever he could to help you win a game.

The countless charges. The timely screens to free up a teammate. The hail mary passes for transition dunks. The 3's that he would rain down when we needed them. Setting up teammates perfectly. The tiny things that only Raptors fans saw day to day.

Every Raptor fan knows what KLOE meant. And whenever we had a KLOE game it was just special.

You know who had "it" by the way? Kyle did.
                To think Colangelo was holding out to his preference of aging Steve Nash & settled for Lowry instead once Nash turned him down.

And than Lowry been traded by Masai to New York only to be nixed by Dolan.

Truly is a miracle of circumstances.

Comment

Only 4 guys left from the title team this league is crazy
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I didn’t start out a big fan, but it’s nothing but respect now. And because of Keon… I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for everything, Kyle, and let’s hope you’re finally washed.

Comment

Anyone remember the ESPN Daily Dime NBA chat? That was the first time I remember seeing that odd arrangement of all caps letters, KLOE. Didn't know what it meant at the time. I do now.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        Only 4 guys left from the title team this league is crazy
                        Dude that was yeaaaaaaaars ago.

(.…two years…)

Comment

Going to miss the passion he played with and all those KLOE moments. Mofo took a charge in a damn All Star game for Pete's sake!

Best of luck Kyle, we'll be waiting for the day you retire as a Raptors.

Comment

We're gonna need a new heart and soul of the team. Hopefully Barnes can show some of that

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                              We're gonna need a new heart and soul of the team. Hopefully Barnes can show some of that
                              Freddy seems like the guy who has been groomed for this. All the non-basketball leadership things Kyle brought need to come from somewhere and Freddy seems like he has the makeup of being that dude holding guys accountable etc
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                              X