Everything Goran Dragic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Masai could go full-young (basically by trading Dragic) but that would prob have us in the bubble at worst.
    You mean the play in tournament? I don't wanna use the word "bubble" ever again
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

You mean the play in tournament? I don't wanna use the word "bubble" ever again
      Haha, already realized and edited it.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

How does the East have parity and the Raps end up in the 8-12 range, that would imply Raps are not on equal footing wouldn't it? You've got the Bucks and Brooklyn at the top, (I expect) Miami after them, but then you have Philly dealing with the Simmons fallout, Knicks and Atlanta which are frauds, Indiana who were huge under achievers and now one of their best players is injured, Boston which also under achieved, Bulls that got worse defensively, Charlotte, Orlando. You're telling me you think our Raps are in the 8-12 range against that? Unless there are some major injuries I don't see it. I'll double down on Raps not tanking this season.
        What I mean by parity is that there are basically 2 teams at the top (Nets/Bucks), and 3 teams at the bottom (Cavs/Pistons/Magic) and then everyone else. That's 10 teams trying to compete for 6 playoff spots. And will be pretty even between those teams.

If I have to break it down.

- Hawks are not frauds, but they're not contenders either. Easily make the playoffs.
        - Knicks I think will take a step back, especially if they have to play Kemba a lot. I don't have them making the playoffs because I think Randle takes a step back, but we'll see. RJ could have an MIP type of season. Guys seem to tune out Thibs by his second year typically.
        - Heat likely are in the 3-5 range despite their collective age. I think they have enough depth and vet savviness to get through.
        - Philly (see Miami)
        - Bulls are meh. Think they are borderline playoffs. Not sold on their coach or make up of the team.. especially defensively. But they have more talent than last year at least on the offensive end.
        - Wizards have some great depth. They basically made a Rudy Gay type of trade with Westbrook. Thomas Bryant will be available, and he was looking like a beast in the bubble before he went down.
        - Hornets are primed for a playoff push. Their coach is underrated
        - Celtics losing Stevens might hurt, but Shroeder is an improvement over a banged up Kemba. Tatum is a budding star. They had Covid issues of their own last year. Likely won't next season.
        - Pacers went from Nate to Carlisle. A guy that created some locker room issues, to one of the most respected coach's in the league. TJ is hurt, but they got one of the better win now guys in the draft in Duarte.
        - Raptors have a lot of youth (3rd youngest team in terms of experience). Siakam is going to miss about a month as well. But they get to play in Toronto. OG should take a leap. They have some talented guys. Still a bit small in the front court. Depth is a bit shaky as well considering they have to rely on a freshman in Flynn and a rookie in Barnes for major minutes.

If the Raptors are in the 8-12 range (I didn't say they will be, but it's a possibility), the Raptors might become sellers at the deadline. Like they did last season by trading Norm for an inferior player (at least in the moment). And they could do the same with Dragic. Keeping Dragic for the season would mean that they are trying to win.. as they would likely be better with him than with a potentially younger player in return. If you do that then it's tanking, as you are improving your draft position over how you finish the regular season.

I've predicted a playoff finish. But would not be surprised at all if we ended up in the lottery again. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

What I mean by parity is that there are basically 2 teams at the top (Nets/Bucks), and 3 teams at the bottom (Cavs/Pistons/Magic) and then everyone else. That's 10 teams trying to compete for 6 playoff spots. And will be pretty even between those teams.

- Hawks are not frauds, but they're not contenders either. Easily make the playoffs.
          - Knicks I think will take a step back, especially if they have to play Kemba a lot. I don't have them making the playoffs because I think Randle takes a step back, but we'll see. RJ could have an MIP type of season. Guys seem to tune out Thibs by his second year typically.
          - Heat likely are in the 3-5 range despite their collective age. I think they have enough depth and vet savviness to get through.
          - Philly (see Miami)
          - Bulls are meh. Think they are borderline playoffs. Not sold on their coach or make up of the team.. especially defensively. But they have more talent than last year at least on the offensive end.
          - Wizards have some great depth. They basically made a Rudy Gay type of trade with Westbrook. Thomas Bryant will be available, and he was looking like a beast in the bubble before he went down.
          - Celtics losing Stevens might hurt, but Shroeder is an improvement over a banged up Kemba. Tatum is a budding star. They had Covid issues of their own last year. Likely won't next season.
          - Pacers went from Nate to Carlisle. A guy that created some locker room issues, to one of the most respected coach's in the league. TJ is hurt, but they got one of the better win now guys in the draft in Duarte.
          - Raptors have a lot of youth (3rd youngest team in terms of experience). Siakam is going to miss about a month as well. But they get to play in Toronto. OG should take a leap. They have some talented guys. Still a bit small in the front court. Depth is a bit shaky as well considering they have to rely on a freshman in Flynn and a rookie in Barnes for major minutes.

If the Raptors are in the 8-12 range (I didn't say they will be, but it's a possibility), the Raptors might become sellers at the deadline. Like they did last season by trading Norm for an inferior player (at least in the moment). And they could do the same with Dragic. Keeping Dragic for the season would mean that they are trying to win.. as they would likely be better with him than with a potentially younger player in return. If you do that then it's tanking, as you are improving your draft position over how you finish the regular season.

I've predicted a playoff finish. But would not be surprised at all if we ended up in the lottery again. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.
          I have to disagree with the idea that trading Dragic means they are tanking. It could be as simple as accommodating a guy who doesn't want to be here and isn't part of the future plans.

Like Masai said, he expects some growing pains, but as I mentioned before losing games is different from losing games intentionally. Last season they intentionally rested guys that weren't injured knowing it would cause them to lose games. They will not do that this season.

Comment

• If I'm Dragic and I'm 35 years old, I'm not walking away from a 19 million dollar contract. It's one year playing with a very good organization in a great city. The Raps could use his competitiveness and veteran savvy. He could be a real nice fit on this team--a stabilizing influence on those nights that Flynn goes wobbly. If the Raptors go sideways, he can always be traded later. I don't see him being the problem everyone was assuming he was.

Comment

• HollyGoLightly wrote: View Post
              If I'm Dragic and I'm 35 years old, I'm not walking away from a 19 million dollar contract. It's one year playing with a very good organization in a great city. The Raps could use his competitiveness and veteran savvy. He could be a real nice fit on this team--a stabilizing influence on those nights that Flynn goes wobbly. If the Raptors go sideways, he can always be traded later. I don't see him being the problem everyone was assuming he was.
              A

Funny if Dragic makes us ( which he sure can ) too competitive we might not be in selling mode at the deadline .. Although accumulating assets should be a priority .

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

- Philly (see Miami)

couple things

-bulls will be decent in the regular season but they are a wild card.

I only see us becoming sellers if we are in the 10-12 range. Anything above and we will stand pat or look to make a fringe push move..

Philly will take a step back... too much.... crap surrounding them.

The raptors entire season push to get above 7 depends on their first month and a half. If we can come out the gate swinging and then maintain we will do just fine

Celtics will take a step back beyond stevens. I think its more so that they got worse by giving up fournier and others. They are kind of just waiting to make a trade.

I agree the wizards will be in the playoffs.

Comment

• Fans are supposed to overrate their teams. For some reason we do the opposite, and overrate the shit out of everyone else's team.

We have 3 All Star level starters in Siakam, FVV, and OG, two excellent role playing starters in Trent and Birch, and one of the best benches, if not the best bench, in the NBA.

Add up the teams in the East that can say that and you won't have a list of 12 teams anymore.

Like why the love for Washington? Beal is their only All-Star level player. Somehow losing a walking triple double made them a better team? Westbrook carried that shit team on his back, with him gone I think Washington sucks big time.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                    A

Funny if Dragic makes us ( which he sure can ) too competitive we might not be in selling mode at the deadline .. Although accumulating assets should be a priority .
                    Cap management is also pretty important for a team not quite ready to "go for it". Absolutely nothing wrong with just letting a big contract like that expire.

Comment

• I suspect Dragic gets traded at some point no matter the record, and I also suspect whether he is traded or not will not overly impact our chances re: playoffs. By the deadline our younger guys will be sinking or swimming, and depending on which they are doing to which degree, we'll either be a playoff contender with or without Dragic, or already toast. I'm optimistic, personally, that we'll see a good deal of success from the younger guys.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Has there ever been a player more hated before he even played a game? Give the guy a chance! My god, heaven forbid he didn't prefer to move to Canada and play for a middle of the pack team at 35
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

Has there ever been a player more hated before he even played a game? Give the guy a chance! My god, heaven forbid he didn't prefer to move to Canada and play for a middle of the pack team at 35
                          LEAVE DRAGIC & PASCAL ALONE! Some fans need to chill.

Comment

Has there ever been a player more hated before he even played a game? Give the guy a chance! My god, heaven forbid he didn't prefer to move to Canada and play for a middle of the pack team at 35
                            Yeah, that was one of the notable things about Scottie’s live Insta story the other night, which allows guests to comment rapid fire. As soon as Goran’s face showed, there were a fair amount of comments attacking him. Which I get, but a) he’s part of the team for now at least and he’s here and appears to be with the gang and ready to jump in… so people should chill, and b) it looked like Scottie, who’s seeing all those negative comments live is like, ‘oh, ok… this thing I thought would be fun and cool suddenly isn’t…”

Personally, I think that’s a bit of a shame, to colour Scottie’s early impressions of our fan-base that way.

I get that there’s a lot of negative history with Dragic, and his comment in the off-season, whether lost in translation or not, didn’t buy him any friends here. I just wish that some fans had a larger impression of the macro. I wanna keep Scottie’s positive vibe as unsullied as possible so he doesn’t go the way of other high draft picks we’ve had of yesteryear.

Our much-heralded culture is one of the biggest reasons we were able to build up to being a winner.

(there’ll always be some knuckleheads out there though.)

Comment

Maybe Alonzo Mourning... who said he wasn't going to pay here and fortunately for him, never had to report.

Comment

• Sounds like the Dragon will play for the Raps this year after all. I still don't see him starting though.

Birch
                                Siakam
                                OG
                                Trent
                                FVV
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X