Resting Players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter N wrote: View Post
    Your second paragraph explains your first paragraph.

We are not a top 5 team in the NBA, and far from a lock to win 50+ games every year. Dropping a game due to resting players hurts us A LOT more than it hurts a team like the Spurs or Cavs or Clippers.

You crawl, then you walk, then you run....then once you perfect that you can sit down and strategize how to save energy for the final leg of a marathon.
    Exactly. The Raptors are in no position to be taking opponents lightly.

Comment

People keep wanting us to rest players like the Spurs. I think you guys forget the Spurs have absolutely NOTHING to prove. They have won many championships and have gotten further in the playoffs than we ever have. They also are a very old team which we are not. As Letter N said, we can't afford to be dropping games because of resting guys like the Spurs can. We had one good year, we still have a lot to prove and we haven't arrived. Only teams that have done something significant like the Spurs can just be resting their best players throughout the season just because. Also Pop is far superior coach to Casey, he can make third stringers look good because of his system. A lot of guys on that team never played as good as they have played for the Spurs anywhere else until Pop got a hold of them. All I'm saying is some ppl are taking this resting our players a little too far and we can be using the Spurs as a measuring stick when they are the defending champs and are a MUCH older team.
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
        Yet many fans here scream about Casey going deep into the bench, and practicing all kinds of line-ups.
        I have no problem with Coach Casey utilizing a deep bench. I do have a problem with his haphazard lineups. Look at the minutes that various bench lineups played together last year. I'd be surprised if those guys would recognize each other walking down the street.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
          Your second paragraph explains your first paragraph.

We are not a top 5 team in the NBA, and far from a lock to win 50+ games every year. Dropping a game due to resting players hurts us A LOT more than it hurts a team like the Spurs or Cavs or Clippers.

You crawl, then you walk, then you run....then once you perfect that you can sit down and strategize how to save energy for the final leg of a marathon.
          In general I agree with you, as in very few teams in the league can afford to follow the complete game/minute distribution pattern that the Spurs can. Yup, crawl/walk/run. Patience. We'll get there

That said, in reference to "Your second paragraph explains your first paragraph", the topic of discussion in the first paragraph is not exclusive to the second paragraph, so that 2nd one isn't THE answer to the 1st. The post I was responding to was expressing astonishment that strong use of the bench and mixing/matching line-ups, a la Pop, isn't followed by other teams. Evidence is, the Raps at least, are in fact doing very similar to what the Spurs do. The amazing thing is that despite having less talent and/or less sophisticated systems (as perceived), Casey still got this team to have one of the best records in the league post Gay trade, putting all the screaming about crazy line-ups in perspective. Pop puts some crazy line-ups out on the floor too, in the interest of "creating depth" (topic I was responding to).

Comment

Spurs are a completely unique example. They have so much internal confidence built up over being a contender for the last 15 years that it's hard to compare them to any other situation in the NBA. Plus they rely on more older players as key contributors than your average NBA team.

The Raptors, who haven't shown that they can get out of the first round yet, let alone established themselves as a year-in, year-out contender in the East, don't have the type of credo that should allow them to sit players and basically throw in the towel multiple games over the course of a season.

Other posters have already mentioned it but the Raptors should be looking to limit the minutes for certain guys in more traditional ways. I.E: sitting Amir + Lowry earlier on in blowouts, etc.

Comment

1) the spurs are old, we are young, and they only did that a couple games
              2) the spurs have won titles, we just finally made the playoffs in a shit conference and got bounced in the first round
              3) sit guys for 10 games?? Were getting waaaay ahead of ourselves to think we can put out a sub par lineup for 10 games and still have a good seed in the bag. 10 months ago it was taaaaaank!!! Raptor fans are one extreme or the other it seems.
              4) why are people saying "3rd or 4th seed" like there's no difference? You realize most like Cleveland will be 1 and 2nd or 3rd seed means you avoid them till the conf finals? Lets get as high a seed as possible.

It would be insulting to the fans and the players if we start sitting 20 something year olds in the middle of the regular season for "rest". Come on. We haven't earned a thing yet, the guys want to play, and this team can't afford to take any game off. So scratch that idea right away.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I don't think you sit everybody at once against any team. I wouldn't even consider doing that.

How much are we really losing by doing this, though? What does it matter if we lose to Cleveland in the second or third round? Maybe instead we should be focusing on what gives us the best chance to beat Cleveland? Sure, make sure you're in the playoffs, make sure you have home court, but it doesn't look like those things are going to be hard.

I think it's ridiculous to stick to an 8 man rotation all year. It's just too much strain on the players, both for this season and for their future.

With the Spurs, where's the cart and where's the horse? Do the Spurs do this because they've won titles, or do the Spurs win titles in small part because they do this? Somehow I don't think imitating the most successful organization in professional sports is a recipe for failure that needs to be "scratched right away." I think it's worth at least looking into a little deeper.

It's a long term play. You don't think you would rather have a Kyle Lowry 4 years from now who's had 30-40 less games on his legs?
                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

All I'm saying is that you could argue it either way:

1) the Spurs have enough depth that they can afford to rest players and develop their bench, or
                  2) the Spurs rest players and develop their bench so that they can have enough depth.

Consider what Popovich has managed to do with second round picks and other people's cast-offs (Belinelli and Bonner come to mind), I'm thinking it's the latter. So I certainly wouldn't begrudge Casey if tried to experiment with line-ups to cut down on the starter's minutes.

Another way of looking at it: Do you if Popovich started coaching the Raptors tomorrow, he would look at the roster and think, "Meh. This is a eight man rotation, there's not enough to work with here."?

Personally, I doubt it. He would probably coach the team the way he's been coaching the past six years. Because he's a genius.

Edit: if you're arguing that Casey isn't a good enough coach to pull it off, that's a different argument than whether or not you think resting our starters in a 82-game season is a bad idea.
                  Last edited by bryan colangelo; Fri Oct 24, 2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X