Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

SexLand & the 6'12"s ain't a Love story.
    Great pun, but I suspect sexton will get moved and they'll build around Mobley-garland-allen. They're all 23 or under, and Mobley looks every bit the franchise guy that scottie looks. They're building something special from my vantage point.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Something is going on with Boston. The Pacers who are missing most of their guards almost beat the Celtics in Boston.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

At 34 ? Love is better suited to the retirement home LeBron is running in LA.
        He can join Carmelo, Avery Bradley, Westbrook and the ageless Trevor Ariza ....
        Love must still have a couple more years on his 30 $M per year deal to run.
        he would help this year with what we struggle with. I wanted Laurri but I don't think we had the cap space with the dragic deal

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

he would help this year with what we struggle with. I wanted Laurri but I don't think we had the cap space with the dragic deal
          Dragic is our flexible cap space with his expiring 20m$ deal.
          It can be used now, in season, as an expiring deal to match salary for a player you want...or the front office can just let Dragic ride it out till FA, renounce him, and use it in July of 2022.

Turner will be long gone by then.
          A 25 year old rim protector and rebounder who is always in the conversation as a defensive pillar among centres. The UFA pool for C’s in 2022 is probably as good as it was when we snagged Len and Baynes.

I wonder if Ujiri is a little gun shy.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Jan 11, 2022, 01:04 AM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

When is winning later?
            2023-24 season?
            Essentially three years from now ...or earlier?
            Its a continuous flow. We aren't competing for a championship this season.

If you find a trade that makes us competitive for a championship next season go ahead and do it but you probably won't find it at this trade deadline.

Keep collecting assets and buy your time at the moment. Maybe something comes up in the summer.

Comment

It can be used now, in season, as an expiring deal to match salary for a player you want...or the front office can just let Dragic ride it out till FA, renounce him, and use it in July of 2022.

A 25 year old rim protector and rebounder who is always in the conversation as a defensive pillar among centres. The UFA pool for C’s in 2022 is probably as good as it was when we snagged Len and Baynes.

yeah but the problem is there are better free agents after this year who are middling free agents hence the idea of getting love.

To SHIFT toward a conversation of Turner. Yeah I wouldn't mind him but it depends on the cost. I think it would cost a pick and he said he basically wants to be the guy. So that statement worries me. You don't want a guy who wants to be high usage.

Comment

Cap math is tricky.. if Dragic expires we won't get $20M to use in free agency. More like the full mid level (around $10M) and we'll have to be careful of avoiding the tax as well.

Ideally you want to flip Dragic for something valuable.. but I don't think expiring contracts are as valuable as they once used to be. Masai hopefully has some juice left to make a big trade (similar to the Vasquez trade back in the day). But I think GM's have gotten a lot smarter since then.

We are so stacked at the F position, that I'd prefer getting another guard. Turner is okay. Not really a great rebounder, despite his length. Has a tenacity to take plays off.. and gets hurt quite a bit. He's young though. I think we'd have to give them a draft pick at the minimum.. and personally I feel like that pick will be more valuable than Myles Turner would be. Especially since we have so many forwards right now.

And it's fine to be gun shy. It's the opposite of how Bryan operated. Masai knows what he's doing and should always be given the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we don't have cap space in 2022 no matter what happens with Dragic. It's either trade him for a piece now or nothing. The only benefit of the buy out is getting under the tax. Letting him expire does not give us offseason cap space.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Cap math is tricky.. if Dragic expires we won't get $20M to use in free agency. More like the full mid level (around $10M) and we'll have to be careful of avoiding the tax as well.

Ideally you want to flip Dragic for something valuable.. but I don't think expiring contracts are as valuable as they once used to be. Masai hopefully has some juice left to make a big trade (similar to the Vasquez trade back in the day). But I think GM's have gotten a lot smarter since then.

We are so stacked at the F position, that I'd prefer getting another guard. Turner is okay. Not really a great rebounder, despite his length. Has a tenacity to take plays off.. and gets hurt quite a bit. He's young though. I think we'd have to give them a draft pick at the minimum.. and personally I feel like that pick will be more valuable than Myles Turner would be. Especially since we have so many forwards right now.

And it's fine to be gun shy. It's the opposite of how Bryan operated. Masai knows what he's doing and should always be given the benefit of the doubt.
                    and that's just it ... there isn't anyone who is TOTALLY worth the full mid level UNLESS you wanna offer that to nurkic... in which case we should trade for him NOW. We would have to give up Boucher PLUS give up potentially a few second rounders to make it happen perhaps add flynn. Which I would be ok with if you substituted flynn for the two second rounders.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

and that's just it ... there isn't anyone who is TOTALLY worth the full mid level UNLESS you wanna offer that to nurkic... in which case we should trade for him NOW. We would have to give up Boucher PLUS give up potentially a few second rounders to make it happen perhaps add flynn. Which I would be ok with if you substituted flynn for the two second rounders.
                      I could see Nurkic getting more than the mid level. But I'd also be surprised if the Blazers moved him. Crazier things have happened in the NBA. I would think he'd be worth more than a couple of 2nd's but that might be better than anything else they can get for an expiring big. Flynn really has no value IMO. So if he's thrown in, it's probably just to help work with the numbers.

One issue is we're tax strapped. We are below the threshold now.. but if we move Boucher ($7M) and Flynn ($2M) for Nurkic ($12M).. we're eating about $3M in salary from a trade.. and that moves us over the tax threshold. Even a Dragic buyout wouldn't save us from that.

We're in a tough position because of that tax. I suspect we stay pat because of it.

Comment

I could see Nurkic getting more than the mid level. But I'd also be surprised if the Blazers moved him. Crazier things have happened in the NBA. I would think he'd be worth more than a couple of 2nd's but that might be better than anything else they can get for an expiring big. Flynn really has no value IMO. So if he's thrown in, it's probably just to help work with the numbers.

One issue is we're tax strapped. We are below the threshold now.. but if we move Boucher ($7M) and Flynn ($2M) for Nurkic ($12M).. we're eating about $3M in salary from a trade.. and that moves us over the tax threshold. Even a Dragic buyout wouldn't save us from that.

We're in a tough position because of that tax. I suspect we stay pat because of it.
                        We can always construct a deal such that we break even in salary. It just makes things harder.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Nurkic is Trash....like Dragic.
                          No more Yugo players. Doncic is another bum a@@..biggest cry baby.
                          If u want Center..Sabonis, if u can't get him..Other guy would be, Turner I guess, not a fan, but maybe if he plays for Raptors he might turn into Ibaka.
                          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

The man fired the coach of the year, traded the franchise player for a superstar, and traded for Gasol, putting together a championship team all in one season. He's not gun shy. It's just not the time to put all the chips in. I'd imagine the next championship caliber roster won't be put together for another 2-3 more seasons and be more in line with Scottie's development.
                            Last edited by LJ2; Tue Jan 11, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

The man fired the coach of the year, traded the franchise player for a superstar, and traded for Gasol, putting together a championship team all in one season. He's not gun shy. It's just not the time to put all the chips in. I'd imagine the next championship caliber roster won't be put together for another 2-3 more seasons and be more in line with Scottie's development.
                              Well put. Ujiri made some of the highest risk moves in the history of pro sports and now he's "gun shy". lol.

Comment

• Agreed he's not gun shy, the offers being made or accepted have to fit the needs of the team. We have no idea what's really being offered or the raps have been close to completing. Probably most offers would hurt the team more than help it.

Comment

Working...
                                X