X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

was it you that liked Mo Bamba? I am just trying to remember.
    I like Bamba
    but he's probably 2nd or 3rd on my list

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Uh oh.
    Did you just include Gary in there?

Seriously, we are all witnessing Jordan Poole's emergence.
    Gary can be our Poole.
    With defense.
    was it you that liked Mo Bamba? I am just trying to remember.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Uh oh.

Gary can be our Poole.
    With defense.
    Meh, the same thing happened around here when Siakam went through his struggles. When he rebounded this season, well as Trae would say, it was quiet as f#@k in this motha, LOL. Trent is no McCaw, we've already seen what the coaching staff and management see in him. And he's no Bargnani either, he actually gives a crap and plays hard on D.

When times get tough the fans are the first to jump ship, that's nothing new or exclusive to Raptors fans. Just gotta hope he continues to develop as he did this season and comes out and proves everyone wrong like Siakam did.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, essentially move them as cap ballast, whether it's in a sign and trade or later in the year. Doubt there's much value to be gained trying to trade them as players. That's why it will be key to keep their term down, ideally to one year, or unguaranteed salary later. It means overpaying in the short term though. Doubt we can afford to take that approach with both, let alone do it with both and also add an MLE guy. But again, if you aren't offering term with your MLE (and generally those are the worst value contracts in the league), hard to get the cream of the MLE crop.
    is there any way to get NAW from the jazz

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post

I originally thought you said they had value as sign and trade options, but I get what you are saying. Sign them to 1 year contracts, and then move them when they are eligible in a larger trade. You basically keep that cap space alive by doing that.

Maybe we can bolster the bench with the mid-level exception.
    Yeah, essentially move them as cap ballast, whether it's in a sign and trade or later in the year. Doubt there's much value to be gained trying to trade them as players. That's why it will be key to keep their term down, ideally to one year, or unguaranteed salary later. It means overpaying in the short term though. Doubt we can afford to take that approach with both, let alone do it with both and also add an MLE guy. But again, if you aren't offering term with your MLE (and generally those are the worst value contracts in the league), hard to get the cream of the MLE crop.

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

Internal growth is the main form of improvement this team can look forward to.

Raps have a 5th seed team that was 5 wins away from tying for the first seed. That first seed is made up of mostly vets, have been together for a while (except Lowry and Tucker but they are vets and know how to adapt), and have no way to way to improve other than through a big trade. Heat are basically all-in at this point.

Raps have two all stars that are 27 and took big steps this season, a guy in Barnes that has the potential to be a higher IQ version of Siakam (basically All NBA good), Trent Jr. who is a dynamic scorer and Precious who has a lot of raw ability.

They don't have to worry about competing for a title next season either, it's going to be at least another season of development before these guys start hitting their stride.
    Uh oh.

Gary can be our Poole.
    With defense.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

Raps have a 5th seed team that was 5 wins away from tying for the first seed. That first seed is made up of mostly vets, have been together for a while (except Lowry and Tucker but they are vets and know how to adapt), and have no way to way to improve other than through a big trade. Heat are basically all-in at this point.

Raps have two all stars that are 27 and took big steps this season, a guy in Barnes that has the potential to be a higher IQ version of Siakam (basically All NBA good), Trent Jr. who is a dynamic scorer and Precious who has a lot of raw ability.

They don't have to worry about competing for a title next season either, it's going to be at least another season of development before these guys start hitting their stride.
    Exactly. This team is still 3 years away. The HOPE is that Pascal and Fred are consistent all stars the next few seasons, while Scottie eventually becomes the best player. Add in Precious who's shocked the shit out of me in his development this season and we could easily have a top 10 player at every position in 4 years, the hope is on Mr Barnes being top 10 OVERALL.

Lots of ifs and buts, but its all we got, and it frankly doesn't seem too far fetched.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

I originally thought you said they had value as sign and trade options, but I get what you are saying. Sign them to 1 year contracts, and then move them when they are eligible in a larger trade. You basically keep that cap space alive by doing that.

Gary Harris.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied

I don't think Boucher or Thad will have value as players in a sign and trade.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Maybe Chris would get a 10-15M offer from another team, and maybe we can get something in return, but as you know the return on a sign and trade is usually much less than if you had the player under contract. Not sure if attaching picks is the way to go… we don’t really have other assets to give.

I’d rather resign Thad to a reasonable contract… if not I see him taking a large pay cut to pick a city that works for him and his family.
    I don't think Boucher or Thad will have value as players in a sign and trade.

I think they'll both be looking at short term MLE level deals out there. Which makes them likely to be open to a (essentially) one year 20M sort of offer if it helps us trade for a player on a large-ish contract. But the value outgoing absolutely will have to be picks/prospects.

Otherwise you just re-sign them with as short a term as possible and wait for a trade later in the year.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Besides internal growth, how's this team supposed to get better? We had Thad and Boucher expiring, they aren't good sign and trade candidates. If we don't sign them, we don't have that cap room to play with. We'll have the mid level, and a second round pick, and I guess the trade market.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Maybe Chris would get a 10-15M offer from another team, and maybe we can get something in return, but as you know the return on a sign and trade is usually much less than if you had the player under contract. Not sure if attaching picks is the way to go… we don’t really have other assets to give.

I’d rather resign Thad to a reasonable contract… if not I see him taking a large pay cut to pick a city that works for him and his family.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

Haven't moved to off-season planning mode yet. So no one in particular. Just noting the potential usefulness of those two as SnT candidates, which I also noted at the time of the Thad trade as a potential upside.
    fair enough. I agree that boucher ..especially how he is showing out this playoffs would be a decent sign and trade candidate.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

who do you have in mind?
    Haven't moved to off-season planning mode yet. So no one in particular. Just noting the potential usefulness of those two as SnT candidates, which I also noted at the time of the Thad trade as a potential upside.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

I'd think both Thad and Boucher would be great sign and trade candidates, highly likely to accept unguaranteed second and third years to act as ballast if you are making a trade for a higher salary player. Key will be you'd have to send value along with them to get someone of value back.
    who do you have in mind?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X