X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yes, you aren't doing your job by avoiding the newsworthy topic of the day. I heard the Lakers-Nurse stuff on a non-sports news radio station as the lead for all sports stories on my drive home, in prime time. And it was the feature story on RealGM (arguably the top hardcore basketball blog/forum on the internet) for 2-3 days straight. And yet the Raptors media completely avoided even getting a sound-bite from Nurse? Sure, high probability it would have been a nothing burger, but not even asking a question to get the reaction is the definition of not doing your job. You may not have cared, but a lot of people would have been interested to hear/see Nurse's reaction.
    kind of like how the whole media didn't talk about the Brittney Griner situation going on.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied

Uh, no. Value, silliness and utility is in the eye of the beholder… unless I missed when they appointed DanH as the arbiter of all topics that are allowed to be discussed.
    In agreement of your post. Not you personally golden because I don’t know you but just your post.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Right! So you admit this is nothing to do with doing their jobs, it's about getting valueless quotes for fans to laugh at. Which, fine, you are welcome to say that you wish a Raptors reporter had asked a similarly useless question as the Boston media did, and that we had a silly quote to laugh at. That's well within your rights.

Let's just not pretend some higher purpose is being missed out on due to incompetence.
    Uh, no. Value, silliness and utility is in the eye of the beholder… unless I missed when they appointed DanH as the arbiter of all topics that are allowed to be discussed.

Oh, and let's not pretend that RR posters don't care about this topic. You're speaking entirely for yourself. We had like 3-4 pages of posters saying "Nurse wouldn't be interested in the LA gig, because of X, Y & Z". And we also had posters posts saying "well, Nurse could be enticed because of A, B & C".

That's now a newsworthy discussion worth exploring further. The Celtics reporters did their job and got the quote from Stevens, when he wasn't even named. Raptors reporters dropped the ball when they had the horse's mouth right in front of them. Why are you so intent on defending Raptors beat writers, is what is confusing me.
    Last edited by golden; Mon Apr 18, 2022, 03:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Maybe this isn't for you, but suppose they asked Nurse for his reaction to the report and he responded with: "Why would I want to join that sh!tshow, when I'm already with the best organization there is?" lol. Clickbait or not... I mean, c'mon, that would be totally worth asking the question to kick an LA team when they are down.

That's basically what Stevens implied with his low-key mocking response after directly being asked his thoughts. And Stevens' name wasn't even attached to the rumors, but a Boston reporter thought it was newsworthy enough to ask. That's all I'm saying.
    Right! So you admit this is nothing to do with doing their jobs, it's about getting valueless quotes for fans to laugh at. Which, fine, you are welcome to say that you wish a Raptors reporter had asked a similarly useless question as the Boston media did, and that we had a silly quote to laugh at. That's well within your rights.

Let's just not pretend some higher purpose is being missed out on due to incompetence.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Basically said this same thing last Saturday. A Raptors-owned media guy could have asked the question AND give tne answer they wanted to put out there.
    Damn, I missed that. Could have saved a lot of typing by just quoting your post. lol.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

Maybe this isn't for you, but suppose they asked Nurse for his reaction to the report and he responded with: "Why would I want to join that sh!tshow, when I'm already with the best organization there is?" lol. Clickbait or not... I mean, c'mon, that would be totally worth asking the question to kick an LA team when they are down.

That's basically what Stevens implied with his low-key mocking response after directly being asked his thoughts. And Stevens' name wasn't even attached to the rumors, but a Boston reporter thought it was newsworthy enough to ask. That's all I'm saying.
    Basically said this same thing last Saturday. A Raptors-owned media guy could have asked the question AND give tne answer they wanted to put out there.

G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Meh I don't care much either way but any Raptors owned journalist could have used it to their advantage and asked
    "Hey Nick, do you want to comment on the ridiculous rumour that the lakers might target you from this clearly better situation?"

*sarcasm font activate!

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Right. So I guess it depends on what you define the job of a media member. Sports "journalists" are a grey area for sure, but I'd hope those with even the slightest journalistic bent would have higher standards than "this gets the views."

Colour me not giving the slightest crap whether we get more clickbait in our feeds. Never mind actually bemoaning how little we get...

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Yes, you aren't doing your job by avoiding the newsworthy topic of the day. I heard the Lakers-Nurse stuff on a non-sports news radio station as the lead for all sports stories on my drive home, in prime time. And it was the feature story on RealGM (arguably the top hardcore basketball blog/forum on the internet) for 2-3 days straight. And yet the Raptors media completely avoided even getting a sound-bite from Nurse? Sure, high probability it would have been a nothing burger, but not even asking a question to get the reaction is the definition of not doing your job. You may not have cared, but a lot of people would have been interested to hear/see Nurse's reaction.
    Right. So I guess it depends on what you define the job of a media member. Sports "journalists" are a grey area for sure, but I'd hope those with even the slightest journalistic bent would have higher standards than "this gets the views."

Colour me not giving the slightest crap whether we get more clickbait in our feeds. Never mind actually bemoaning how little we get...

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

No one is scared. We just don't care. Because Nick could squash it exactly like Stevens and three weeks later he's traded to LA, or he could say "hey, you never know!" and then he retires a Raptor in 35 years. It is completely meaningless what anyone says in those situations. If you think you learn anything from those answers you are just buying their BS.

Yes, go ahead, ask the question. Or don't! Either way, it does not mean you are or are not doing your job.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

lol. When did everybody on this board become Doug Smith and Michael Grange apologists? Is everyone THAT scared of the Toronto media asking Nurse a harmless little question? Are we really so afraid of how Nurse might've answered, e.g., not squashing immediately and mocking it, like Brad Stevens did? Talk about mental gymnastics to protest too much.
    No one is scared. We just don't care. Because Nick could squash it exactly like Stevens and three weeks later he's traded to LA, or he could say "hey, you never know!" and then he retires a Raptor in 35 years. It is completely meaningless what anyone says in those situations. If you think you learn anything from those answers you are just buying their BS.

Yes, go ahead, ask the question. Or don't! Either way, it does not mean you are or are not doing your job.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

It's media's job to dig.

It's also their job to only do as much of that in public as is reportable to the public. Lending credence to every rumour by asking about it in public in absolutely not their job.

You think Shams got his info by sitting down in a scrum and sticking a microphone in someone's face with a dozen other media members there? Everyone does their digging through sources. Questions in scrums are by definition performative - you are asking a question to get the coach/GM/player to provide some filler. You aren't taking any of the answers seriously, or patting yourself on the back for "digging" unless you are new and have no idea what you are actually supposed to do.
    lol. When did everybody on this board become Doug Smith and Michael Grange apologists? Is everyone THAT scared of the Toronto media asking Nurse a harmless little question? Are we really so afraid of how Nurse might've answered, e.g., not squashing immediately and mocking it, like Brad Stevens did? Talk about mental gymnastics to protest too much.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Guys, you're all missing the point here. The media's job is not to handicap the probability of a "rumor" happening, it's to dig for information that's newsworthy around that rumor. Raptors media doesn't dig. They aren't doing their jobs, or in T-Rex's words: "soft".
    It's media's job to dig.

It's also their job to only do as much of that in public as is reportable to the public. Lending credence to every rumour by asking about it in public in absolutely not their job.

You think Shams got his info by sitting down in a scrum and sticking a microphone in someone's face with a dozen other media members there? Everyone does their digging through sources. Questions in scrums are by definition performative - you are asking a question to get the coach/GM/player to provide some filler. You aren't taking any of the answers seriously, or patting yourself on the back for "digging" unless you are new and have no idea what you are actually supposed to do.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Meh I don't care much either way but any Jays owned journalist could have used it to their advantage and asked
    "Hey Nick, do you want to comment on the ridiculous rumour that the lakers might target you from this clearly better situation?"

*sarcasm font activate!

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post
    Are any journalists asking the management in LA if the rumor is true? If not why isn't the same standard applied the other direction?
    People think it's soft.... smh

It's just as soft, nay, much softer to ask it...

Only thing that rings from that is "Nick??? Are you planning to leave us???? "

Weak.

I'm glad they left it as the absolute non-story it is.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Are any journalists asking the management in LA if the rumor is true? If not why isn't the same standard applied the other direction?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X