Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post

The NBA knows those numbers for sure, but they're a private company so don't release them unless they want to. I'm sure the players association knows too as that revenue is included when they calculate cap and everything. I think we get a lot of the contract details because the stations airing in the USA are all publicly traded so the news has to come out from their end. For instance Disney needs to publicly disclose contract details when they get rights agreements for ESPN.
    Like I was saying... streaming is inevitable.

NBA, MLB Execs Concerned About Drop In Revenue Due To Changing RSN Model

The regional sports network business model is undergoing a period of significant transition as more and more people cut the cord from their cable providers and become increasingly reliant on streaming.

“The house is on fire here,” one network executive said, referring to the RSN business.

Executives from leagues, teams, distributors and the networks have met regularly over the past several weeks to look into new business models for local media rights.

Local media rights can make up to 50 percent of an MLB team’s total revenue, sources said.

The main topic discussed is how to bridge the gap from the current RSN model to a future streaming one. Any rush toward streaming, however, would mean a decline in local team revenue in the short-term.
    https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ging-RSN-Model

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Like I was saying... streaming is inevitable.

NBA, MLB Execs Concerned About Drop In Revenue Due To Changing RSN Model

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ging-RSN-Model
      Will be interesting if they ever get there. They have two owners that are media moguls that make direct money off of regional broadcasting in MLSE and James Dolan. I'm sure those two giants won't want the league to go full streaming.

Then they also have to cut ties with ABC/TNT who created that cap boom already. I'm sure there is a new contract coming up that needs renewal as well.

I think this is a pipe dream. Most they can probably try to do is improve on their existing NBA League Pass program. But that sort of sucks. And is a niche thing that only hard core guys would buy. And a lot of those fans can find a stream for free these days.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Will be interesting if they ever get there. They have two owners that are media moguls that make direct money off of regional broadcasting in MLSE and James Dolan. I'm sure those two giants won't want the league to go full streaming.

Then they also have to cut ties with ABC/TNT who created that cap boom already. I'm sure there is a new contract coming up that needs renewal as well.

I think this is a pipe dream. Most they can probably try to do is improve on their existing NBA League Pass program. But that sort of sucks. And is a niche thing that only hard core guys would buy. And a lot of those fans can find a stream for free these days.
        Disney owns ESPN, ABC and Fox Sports, so a win-win transitional business model could conceivably be worked out there for a decent chunk of the games. Not to mention the runaway success of the Disney Plus delivery system and you could easily envision a "Disney Plus Live" for sports streaming & other live events, direct-to-consumer.

The NBA is already playing footsie with YouTube and probably talking very quietly with Netflix and Amazon. TNT might end up being the odd-man out.

Comment

Disney owns ESPN, ABC and Fox Sports, so a win-win transitional business model could conceivably be worked out there for a decent chunk of the games. Not to mention the runaway success of the Disney Plus delivery system and you could easily envision a "Disney Plus Live" for sports streaming & other live events, direct-to-consumer.

The NBA is already playing footsie with YouTube and probably talking very quietly with Netflix and Amazon. TNT might end up being the odd-man out.
          That's for national games.. but what do they do for regional games.. or that doesn't matter here?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

That's for national games.. but what do they do for regional games.. or that doesn't matter here?
            It does matter, because traditionally you have blackouts to protect the local broadcaster's local ad revenue. There probably still needs to be an interim local strategy.

At first I thought Disney could cover most of regional games (17 NBA teams) through Fox Sports, but I checked and Disney sold Fox Sports to Bally Sports in 2019. From the NBA POV, the new partner would have to pony up the equivalent revenue that the regional rights holders were paying. TBH, I don't understand the inside details of how the pie is sliced up enough to know how they would transition, or if it's too big a business hurdle.

That said, some giant cuts a big enough cheque and I suppose they can have all the rights they want... assuming they have the infrastructure and customers to monetize those rights. You'd probably need a Google, Amazon or Disney sized company.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
              Masai and Bobby bring in character guys, I’m sure most of the guys are vaccinated. We got rid of TD, who was the dumbass of the group.
              Good segue to bringing in guys.......
              Character and immunizations aside ....In terms of a skill set....What does this team need to find and bring in, in order to move from a 40's win team to a 50's win team with a chance to get to or even out of round 2 ? Assume that none of the core group of Freddy, OG , Barnes and Pascal are changing postal codes and will remain with the team.

A 3 point guy ?

A defensive rim protector at the 5 ?

An offensive bucket getter iat the 5 ?

A get your own shot guy in the half court ?

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Good segue to bringing in guys.......
                Character and immunizations aside ....In terms of a skill set....What does this team need to find and bring in, in order to move from a 40's win team to a 50's win team with a chance to get to or even out of round 2 ? Assume that none of the core group of Freddy, OG , Barnes and Pascal are changing postal codes and will remain with the team.

A 3 point guy ?

A defensive rim protector at the 5 ?

An offensive bucket getter iat the 5 ?

A get your own shot guy in the half court ?
                You know what? I think "Good" pascal is back. The last season was an aberration. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. I think OG takes another step with regards to his offense. I think Freddy stops driving into the trees under the basket and goes, "Oh. What's this? It's my floater, and you can't stop it."

I think the Raptors now have a bench that can kick ass. I think they have the personnel to stop pretty much anybody in the league. And they have them in waves. I think their floor is 44 games and I won't predict their ceiling. I think Precious and Ish are revelations this season and we wind up seeing a Gary Trent no one expected.

Maybe I'm smoking it, but I don't think so. The team is made up of guys no one expected to even make it into the league as starters. And they don't have any quit in them. Everybody has something to prove and none of them have egos. I am loving them already. Can't wait.

I expect mayhem and confusion for the first half of the season, but I expect them to come together and start playing as a team by game 30. It is going to be a wild ride and I can't wait.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

You know what? I think "Good" pascal is back. The last season was an aberration. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. I think OG takes another step with regards to his offense. I think Freddy stops driving into the trees under the basket......

Maybe I'm smoking it, but I don't think so. The team is made up of guys no one expected to even make it into the league as starters. And they don't have any quit in them. Everybody has something to prove and none of them have egos. I am loving them already. Can't wait.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

You know what? I think "Good" pascal is back. The last season was an aberration. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. I think OG takes another step with regards to his offense. I think Freddy stops driving into the trees under the basket and goes, "Oh. What's this? It's my floater, and you can't stop it."

I think the Raptors now have a bench that can kick ass. I think they have the personnel to stop pretty much anybody in the league. And they have them in waves. I think their floor is 44 games and I won't predict their ceiling. I think Precious and Ish are revelations this season and we wind up seeing a Gary Trent no one expected.

I expect mayhem and confusion for the first half of the season, but I expect them to come together and start playing as a team by game 30. It is going to be a wild ride and I can't wait.
                    That is just it... our bench for the first time in two years can match anyone elses. Especially if we end up keeping dragic. We have a lot on this team and can make real noise.

Comment

It does matter, because traditionally you have blackouts to protect the local broadcaster's local ad revenue. There probably still needs to be an interim local strategy.

At first I thought Disney could cover most of regional games (17 NBA teams) through Fox Sports, but I checked and Disney sold Fox Sports to Bally Sports in 2019. From the NBA POV, the new partner would have to pony up the equivalent revenue that the regional rights holders were paying. TBH, I don't understand the inside details of how the pie is sliced up enough to know how they would transition, or if it's too big a business hurdle.

That said, some giant cuts a big enough cheque and I suppose they can have all the rights they want... assuming they have the infrastructure and customers to monetize those rights. You'd probably need a Google, Amazon or Disney sized company.
                      I think what you'll see is a new Sports streaming service for each sport that acts a hub for all the regional sports networks. When you sign up you pick the teams you wanna follow and pay more per team. Then you get all the regional games, the regional channel gets paid for all their viewers plus gets to serve dynamic CTV ads (that's what all streaming does now, it's programmatic and you're shown ads tailored to you by gender, age, location, interests, etc...), and the sports hub streaming service takes a cut as well, the same one the cable companies take now.

It's not this huge hurdle. Cable companies are the ones who will get screwed but they also own a lot of the channels and streaming services and they provide the internet to just about everyone so they'll be OK too.

It's like how Hulu got started. Most of the big networks banded together and started their own streaming service.

Comment

maybe they just need to lower the price for regional streaming? On occasion Ive gotten the tsn and sportsnet subscriptions. But its about $45 for both. Still a bit much for two networks but at least i can cut it a few months when im done. About $30 would be fair imo

Comment

Yeah I'm not hopeful. The last 3-4 years streaming has moved in the wrong direction - it's fragmented. Everyone has their own platform now. They've got their halo content that draws you in then a bunch or other shit they hope you watch while you're there. They don't want you on someone else's app or website watching other content. I can't see these companies collaborating on streaming at all, they're doing the opposite.

Netflix a few years ago was great because you could pay $10 a month and have everything but sports on one platform, instead of having to pull together a pile of channels into a $80-$120 cable package. Welp, we're right back there again once you get all the sites you want.

Also, illegal streams are too easy, especially for sports. It's theoretically possible to tackle this problem but I don't see corporate America doing it. At least not yet. They need to get a bit more desperate.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                            ...Netflix a few years ago was great because you could pay $10 a month and have everything but sports on one platform, instead of having to pull together a pile of channels into a $80-$120 cable package...
                            It's a real problem for online website/platforms of all types. They work to hard to create content and spend money and effort promoting it so they get website visits. Someone searches for the content they have and Google serves up snippets and even images and videos of the content without ever sending the searcher to the originating site. Often that answers the searchers questions. You wonder "When did Rasheed Wallace get drafted" and a Google snippet gives you the answer with curated material. You never visit the site, they can never claim to potential advertisers "we get X numbers of visitors every day" so they lose advertising revenue. Some sites have lost 75% of their web traffic over the last 4 years. That's one of the big reasons so many sites are turning to subscription based income models. The number requiring subscriptions is only going to go up.

Personally, I'm okay with subscriptions. Pay for what I want and ignore the rest. But what Google is doing should be stopped. They are strangling online sites because they are the 800 pound gorilla. They should be required to stop providing snippets and go back to providing links.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Yeah I'm not hopeful. The last 3-4 years streaming has moved in the wrong direction - it's fragmented. Everyone has their own platform now. They've got their halo content that draws you in then a bunch or other shit they hope you watch while you're there. They don't want you on someone else's app or website watching other content. I can't see these companies collaborating on streaming at all, they're doing the opposite.

Netflix a few years ago was great because you could pay $10 a month and have everything but sports on one platform, instead of having to pull together a pile of channels into a $80-$120 cable package. Welp, we're right back there again once you get all the sites you want.

Also, illegal streams are too easy, especially for sports. It's theoretically possible to tackle this problem but I don't see corporate America doing it. At least not yet. They need to get a bit more desperate.
                              Regional sports channels don't have enough content to be a streaming platform. That's why they would need to band together. They basically already do that with league pass, they just need to make it a bit better and more affordable.

Also no idea how you're getting up to $80-$120 in streaming. What's that package look like? Or were you just being hyperbolic?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X